What is this triggering my camera alert?

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I avoid it?
It's likely a tiny bug or spider, I get them VERY often.
In the case of the former, likely attracted by the cam's IR.
In the case of the latter, wants to string a web to catch the former.

Short of moving to the North Pole, you can't stop it but you can usually improve it:
Avoid bullet-style cams that have the IR in a ring around the sensor (no help if you already have them in place).​
Apply insect repellent around the cam's front, IR ring and around lens but not on lens (very inconvenient, not always effective)​
Disable cam's IR, place an outboard, external IR emitter next to camera 6 to 12" (likely the most effective).​
Also, the appropriate external IR emitter would light up that driveway MUCH better. :cool:

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It does sound like an external IR emitter is the best solution.... but yikes... it is going to start to look like a battle ship with all those things pointing at the road.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Instead of using IR emitters, would it be better if I had flood lights lighting the driveway? I am thinking perhaps a Philips Hue flood light that can be set to dim by default, and become brighter when motion is detected?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Instead of using IR emitters, would it be better if I had flood lights lighting the driveway? I am thinking perhaps a Philips Hue flood light that can be set to dim by default, and become brighter when motion is detected?
Sure, that could likely be set up as well. Maybe more energy costs, but very little.
You know bugs like the visible light as well (mainly the IR component) but if you prefer that over the "battleship look", go for it. You can always move from there to the IR emitter(s).

EDIT: just be aware that often times when a light switches on or possibly from dim to bright that it may cause blinding whiteout to the cam until it's sensor can adjust.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It does sound like an external IR emitter is the best solution.... but yikes... it is going to start to look like a battle ship with all those things pointing at the road.
Use deepstack AI with Blue iris to eliminate these false alerts. You can also use the cameras built in AI to trigger BI.