What methods to secure cat cable in drop ceiling?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What equipment and methods do you guys use to secure cat cable when runs are across drop ceilings? My barber has asked me about putting a system in and its all drop ceiling which is super easy, but I want it to be within code.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn that's an installers dream...Ive never done it.....i think the installers use J hooks...if its a single cable i dont see the harm in just running it across, but as you say, I dont think i will be code compliant.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably depends on locations. I don't see a problem with laying it across the tile. If it was a brand new install I would staple it or put a cable trough up if it was multiple cables

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm unsure about where you are but in Australia, we aren't even allowed to secure to the ceiling hangers due to someone previously bringing down the entire ceiling.

I've used these in the past which allow it to be secured to timber or masonry and a strip of velcro to secure the cables to it.
http://www.ramset.com.au/Product/Detail/349/DataLec-Clip

Edit: I should probably clarify that I don't use them with a ramset gun but just screw through it either into a plug or straight into the timber.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look up "Erico Caddy" products. All sorts of J-hooks and low voltage hangers. They make j-hooks with batwings(drop ceiling wire clips), L-brackets, beam clamps etc. Any commercial electrical distributor should carry these. Really depends what you have to work with above ceiling and the how many cables.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's just a four camera system. So it'll only be four cat cables from the NVR.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using things like that and running cables at 90 degrees will make you look professional...unfortunately, most people doing jobs that size are going to be looking to save a buck and just let it lay across the ceiling in the most direct path to camera.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I know, but you figure the 2.00 its cost per hanger gets passed onto the customer and forbid if something happened, I wouldn't have to worry about a fire inspector or her ad the owner suing me.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look up "Erico Caddy" products. All sorts of J-hooks and low voltage hangers. They make j-hooks with batwings(drop ceiling wire clips), L-brackets, beam clamps etc. Any commercial electrical distributor should carry these. Really depends what you have to work with above ceiling and the how many cables.
Great tip. Wanted to look them up ... but every time I try their site I get the country selector page?!
Which shows US in the top right and insists I pick another continent and country down the page?!
Wherever I try to go I get:

http://www.erico.com/selectCountry.asp?returnURL=/default.asp

Gotta love over-programmed and over-coded commercial sites with stupid issues like that ... :/

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep one less thing for me to worry about.