What PTZ IP camera to buy?

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve been doing some research here and online, trying to narrow down the best PTZ IP camera for use in my driveway and connect it via POE to my NAS where I will be storing the footage.
So far, I’ve narrowed it down to the Hikvision Pro Series DS-2DE4A425IWG-E, which I’m planning to purchase from AliExpress.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4寸红外.jpg.thumb.1280.1280[1].jpg

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending on your overall needs a 4 meg camera with a 1/2.8 sensor will not work well in low light night conditions. Indoors a dome will work fine, but outside it should not be considered.

Have been using the Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR PTZ with excellent night results as it is 1/1.8 at 4 megs camera. Price from Andy in the range of $750. Also note that Andy will be having a sale on cameras later this month.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve been doing some research here and online, trying to narrow down the best PTZ IP camera for use in my driveway and connect it via POE to my NAS where I will be storing the footage.
So far, I’ve narrowed it down to the Hikvision Pro Series DS-2DE4A425IWG-E, which I’m planning to purchase from AliExpress.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 171911
FYI- posting more info on the camera ..

1694300499679.png

Attachments

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the heads up!

I was hoping to spend below $500.

Since I will be using it in low light night conditions I guess I have to go back to the drawing board

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, someone once said here buy once, cry once! Better to spend a little more and get something that meets your goals.

Here is a real world example from the 49225 and 49425 PTZ, which are a 2MP and 4MP on the same 1/2.8" sensor. I bought the 4MP version first when I thought chasing MP was the answer.

The 49225 is a 2MP PTZ on the 1/2.8" sensor. It deems it has enough light at a 1/60 shutter so it stays in color:

2MP.jpg

Here is the 49425, which is the same camera as the 49225 except is a 4MP on the same 1/2.8" sensor as the 49225.

Here is a big issue you see with a double the resolution on the same size sensor - It deems that it does not have enough light at a 1/60 shutter so it goes to B/W with Infrared:

4MP.jpg

Personally I think the color one looks better. Look at all the leaves you see in the color image that you don't in the B/W image - these were taken at the same time.

No imagine the detail that is lost because of that.

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on one of these as well... (the HikVision) its going to be used at the front of my house....there are streetlamps up and down the road on both sides....main reasons are...

i cant have the style of the Dahua SD4A425DB-HNY - as its at the front of the house it has to go under the eves of the house plus i dont want that shape (want to keep it as hidden in plain site as i can)

Im replacing one of these which has been up for a few years... DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 - this has been great (first ip cam ive bought - although not enough range to see up at the top and the bottom of the road.

The biggie for the new one is motion tracking and facial recognition/anpr numberplate reading....

Just wondering what the OP went with in the end...

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wondering what the OP went with in the end...
After doing more reading I decided that the PTZ camera might miss some events and I would be better off with adding another bullet camera on the opposite side of the driveway.
Let us know how it's working for you!

ComfySofa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there. Fitted it on the weekend. Little bit mixed but on the whole good (no fault of the camera)....ive upgraded the firmware (which has given me the new gui look) - downside but not really (and no fault of the camera) my old one was a 4x zoom model (same style) which at minimum zoom gave me more of a wide view...this one is a 25x zoom which gives me more zoom (i live in the middle of a straight road) so can see right up and down the road at max zoom...so my parked position on the front of the house gives me less of a view...that being said..in a way im happier (if i can get the smart tracking working) then it means i wont inadvertantly be looking at anyone houses oppositel as i appreciate everyone likes their privacy. The reason for the change was that some of the lighter sleepers in our road have spotted naer-do-wells hanging round on electric bikes at each ends of the road - it should be able to see them...and hopefully track them..

Ive not been able to get the smart tracking working (nothing to do with the camera) but more the fact that its new to me and i just dont understand it all at the moment (trying to get my head round it) but as its the new gui i havent been able to find a walkthrough on said gui.

Other thing to note is its a fair bit heavier (espcially at the top of a 2 stage ladder in the wind!!)

Just for the record i got mine off ebay, turned up in 4 days (HK to the UK)

My old one(i say old its still a current model - DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3) is for sale if anyone wants it! (ive got the box and original packaging) waterproof boot is unused and sealed. It was placed under the eves of the house so was out of the weather....its in as new condition.

Last edited: