What say you- Private Surveillance Camera Registration Requirement

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I've heard talk of this before. Frankly I wouldn't have a problem with it. I have my cameras up to help document wrong doings on my property. My PTZ also happens to catch a good deal of the roads by my house. I do that in order to have footage available to the police if it should be needed to help anything or incident. I wouldn't mind registering. If I were a crack house I would. But surveillance in the name of countering crime? No problem with me.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/new-jersey-lawmakers-mull-private-surveillance-camera-registration-requirement/

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got great problems with it; frankly registering anything with the government.. so if you dont register your cameras your a criminal by default or worse a drug dealer or terrorist automatically huh?

cops can get off there lazy asses and check the crime scene for any cameras; and then use the courts to compel the owner to handover the evidence if they refuse; but in reality when ever a concerned citizen spots a crime on there video footage they notify and handover the tapes.. thats the large purpose of investing in cameras in the first place and an owner is happy to see a return on that. All of us here hope to send a scum bag to jail with our cameras, I know I do.. and envy those whom have done it.. Dont need any additional laws to change this behavior, not a single one.

governmental overreach at its best; it will accomplish nothing but make some concerned morons feel good they got everyone stamped, registered & approved.

Being force by law to register harmless property and technology that is overall a great a benefit to society, in the sake of your own saftey is a path down totalitarianism.. next up there going to require live access to your cameras so they can monitor the good citizens.

I'd pay the $100 fine 10x and still not register my cameras; but before then I'll stop being cooperative and be out right hostile to requests for footage.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hell no! No way this gets passed....Next they will want real time access....maybe we should all register our cell phones with GPS so that when a crime happens the cops will know who was in the area so they can interview witnesses....

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think it will pass. We shall see. New Jersey- odd ball for sure. But, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it wont encourage people to install security cameras if you have to register them with the state; then those whom do and dont agree with the overreach will do so covertly; then the detectives chances of spotting a camera at the scene of the crime just went down dramatically.. people with unregistered cameras whom spot crimes will be less likely to come forward in fear of penalty, thus this ill conceived bill will not be achieving anything like it was intended.

common Shockwave, your PTZ see's all.. you telling me you dont see all PTZ's? I count security cameras just for fun.. Finding cameras that may have footage of an event is not a difficult task for even LEO's, its part of there job to ask neighbors and witnesses for this kind of information.. why should we do there job for them? there is absolutely no reason for this law.. and if there is no reason for a law there should be no law.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive been a cop since 2002. I agree except for nayr saying we need to get off our lazy asses. Talking to neighbors isstandard procedure but im sure some people have hidden cameras. Never had a person refuse video to me.

I agree with no registering

Reaction score
I think they're going to far, if they feel that cameras would make a difference then let them invest in getting them put up on the poles on every corner.

Reaction score
When you put people homes or lives in jeopardy it's time to step back....and to make a person register there device I think that's ludicrous. .

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree except for nayr saying we need to get off our lazy asses.
sorry; I didnt mean to imply LEO are lazy asses.. you undoubtedly work alot harder than I do.

I meant to imply the reasoning behind registrations is so they can be lazy asses, relying on some app (and the force of law) to check for nearby cameras instead of using there eyes and a lil foot work.. There argument seems to be hinging on the fact that getting security camera footage somehow is too difficult currently... if that is true then there a bunch of lazy asses, because it seems to me to be extremely easy to get security footage as it is..

The only way to make there jobs easier is to give the LEO there own login to our cameras; and this proposal is cresting that slippery slope.

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
I think they're going to far, if they feel that cameras would make a difference then let them invest in getting them put up on the poles on every corner.
Have you been to Chicago? There are municipal cameras on just about every corner of the main streets.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nayr I hope we never get to that point where we have to get logins for cameras from private people, it's none of our business. I'm waiting for the day where someone refuses to give me the video when I ask for it. We always try to give them a blank dvr or use our usb flash drive if needed. I guess if the person wanted to be monetarily reimbursed the county atty.might pay for their troubles

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nonsense law that does help further what the police want and is just some other nanny crap to enforce. Opposed to it 100%. In addition to what nayr said there are many stupid components to it such as securing the information (probably won't be that secure) to what are you supposed to do if a camera is removed.

It's a silly law that surely some buffoon came up with. 99% of camera owners will have no problem turning footage over to police anyway, and if the camera is hidden and the cops are not aware of it, it's probably hidden for a reason, and that reason would include its owner not registering it in any case. Too much silliness.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Register this, register that, i'd say heck with that and give my cams to the goodwill for a tax reduction. Hahaha! Once again good HONEST people paying for crooks!