What size/capacity microSD card for: IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 & IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm about to take delivery of 2 each of:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 Dahua cameras.

As this is my first foray into ipcams I need a little advice on the SD cards needed.
What size/capacity should I get if I plan to stream direct to HDD with Blue Iris. - Surely I don't need more than say a 32gb card?

The Samsung evo+ 's are on special near me at the moment so I thought of getting 4 of them.

Will the 32gb be enough for the cameras to work effectively?

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
/r.

Kevin Penney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm about to take delivery of 2 each of:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 Dahua cameras.

As this is my first foray into ipcams I need a little advice on the SD cards needed.
What size/capacity should I get if I plan to stream direct to HDD with Blue Iris. - Surely I don't need more than say a 32gb card?

The Samsung evo+ 's are on special near me at the moment so I thought of getting 4 of them.

Will the 32gb be enough for the cameras to work effectively?

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
/r.
The cameras don't require any sd card for operation. If you're using BI and recording to the HD, then your good. Personally, I use sd cards in all my cameras, for a few reasons. One, I use the sd cards to record only motion events, and the cameras do this very well when properly setup. I still have my NVR recording 24/7 to 4/4gb drives, just in case something is missed by the camera software from no movement, or motion timeout on my ptz tracking cameras. Two- convenience. It's easier for me to check camera sd card motion events rather than scrolling endlessly through nvr footage for hours. The interface is simple and it's ready to grab playback events directly from one camera. Three- I don't trust hard drives! I've lost too many times to crashes, software freezing (blue iris), pc failures, etc. I haven't had an sd card fail me yet.
Most cameras max at 128gb, and I like to have all the capacity possible so that's what I use. My two cents!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 on the 128GB. Ive been running them for a little over a year and no problems so far.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. As you say I can run without SD cards then that is what I'll do for now until I decide on actual usage. Rather than buy 4 small sd cards for the sake of having them. ;-)

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Three- I don't trust hard drives! I've lost too many times to crashes, software freezing (blue iris), pc failures, etc. I haven't had an sd card fail me yet.
I've too had software issues in the past. Another big advantage I see is you'll still have video even if your PC/NVR gets stolen. I've seen so many installations where the NVR is placed in the lounge room right next to the TV/DVD player or in plain sight in a back office.

Kevin Penney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many days can you get on a 128GB recording 24/7 and what video settings?
Recording 24/7 on a 4mp, medium quality settings, I get about a week and a half. Set to motion only events, I get a couple months. I'm sure the newer h.265 cameras using lower bitrate would extend that substantially..

Kevin Penney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've too had software issues in the past. Another big advantage I see is you'll still have video even if your PC/NVR gets stolen. I've seen so many installations where the NVR is placed in the lounge room right next to the TV/DVD player or in plain sight in a back office.
Yes- that too! I forgot about that point..

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras don't require any sd card for operation. If you're using BI and recording to the HD, then your good. Personally, I use sd cards in all my cameras, for a few reasons. One, I use the sd cards to record only motion events, and the cameras do this very well when properly setup. I still have my NVR recording 24/7 to 4/4gb drives, just in case something is missed by the camera software from no movement, or motion timeout on my ptz tracking cameras. Two- convenience. It's easier for me to check camera sd card motion events rather than scrolling endlessly through nvr footage for hours. The interface is simple and it's ready to grab playback events directly from one camera. Three- I don't trust hard drives! I've lost too many times to crashes, software freezing (blue iris), pc failures, etc. I haven't had an sd card fail me yet.
Most cameras max at 128gb, and I like to have all the capacity possible so that's what I use. My two cents!

Kevin, @Kevin Penney can you access the clips on your card (in the cam) over the network without taking the card out of the cam? Does the NVR automatically fetch missing video from the camera if the NVR (say BI) was offline for a bit? What model card do you use? Do we need the special High Endurance cards specifically designed for DashCams and Surveillance cams?

Thanks,

Robert

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kevin, @Kevin Penney can you access the clips on your card (in the cam) over the network without taking the card out of the cam? Does the NVR automatically fetch missing video from the camera if the NVR (say BI) was offline for a bit? What model card do you use? Do we need the special High Endurance cards specifically designed for DashCams and Surveillance cams?

Thanks,

Robert
Yes, yes and Samsung Evo Plus is recommended.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right, I saw where you liked the Samsung recently but I thought I read that Samsung was getting out of that business.... and I normally use Sandisk for Dashcams and such. Okay, I'll give the Samsung a try, thanks for the recommendation.

Robert