What size hole should I make when directly mounting 2332?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I will be directly mounting a 2332 to the side of my house without using a junction box or mount. I need to know what size hole is required in order to push the cable etc. back. For sure it would have to be large enough for the RJ45 plug, so would a 1/2" do?

Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@whoslooking... thanks for the reply and confirmation. Since I don't have the cameras yet, I just wasn't sure if the connector used by the camera had anything on it that was larger than a 1/2". Starting my cable runs today!

Edit: just found this picture and I'm curious which connector comes standard with the camera. Thinking the hole may need to be bigger to push the connector back into the siding unless there is room for it in the camera base.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got two Hik turrets and two Hik bullets. They all came with the two connectors on the right in your image.

It is definitely larger than 1/2". I drilled 1" holes for direct mounting to my porch ceiling.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@MikeSav... thanks for the info. Is there any room in the base for the two connectors or do they need to go back into the ceiling or wall in my case?

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
No room in the base on the bullets. Some say there is room in the base for the turrets, but it would be a tight fit and could make it more difficult to reposition if the cable is in the way.

Here is an image I found of a 2332: Link.

Here's a post at another forum showing the full connector, including the parts that go on the cable that you assemble: Link.

And last, I have attached actual-size PDF scans of the mounting templates that come with the (Milkisbad-supplied) 2332 and 2032.

Attachments

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did yours not come with a template? I had one in the box. Made it very easy. It was actually a sticker, so I stuck that on the ceiling and drilled away.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@MikeSav... that photo is very helpful. I might be able to fit everything in the base. To be safe I'll probably just drill the hole a bit larger. Thanks for the templates too! @OldStyle... I haven't received my cameras yet but hopefully the templates will be included.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi 105437,

You can fit everything in the base but it will be a tight squeeze (sometimes your mount won't be 100% flush and will stick out a few mm, so barely anything).

Little tip, push the cable through so that it sits underneath the plastic shroud and not behind the camera. This will give you the space you need.

If you want to be safe, then 1" will be fine. Templates should be included! If not, I can measure the one that is sitting in my old box for you!

Cheers,

Del Boy

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think I'll make my own mounting block out of wood and use a hole saw to make a nice big hole so all the connectors and extra wire can fit. I need the block to lower the camera slightly anyway to get the right FOV.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
isn't it obscene? I mean I can fit an ethernet cable through a 1/4 hole no problem.. sigh.

I run conduit and junction boxes anymore, a 1" hole in the side of the house is hardly acceptable.. sometimes you can disassemble the camera and disconnect it from the mainboard with a much smaller plug, but its still biger than 1/4in and very fragile to push through a wall.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I crimp all my plugs myself, with the turret camera you can hide the connection behind it quite easily.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... I crimp all my ends as well. So if you can get the pigtail that includes the two connectors etc. all inside the camera base then that's exactly what I needed to know. I only mentioned making my own block if the stuff wouldn't fit.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd mount it on a junction box and not do the hole.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
isn't it obscene? I mean I can fit an ethernet cable through a 1/4 hole no problem.. sigh.

I run conduit and junction boxes anymore, a 1" hole in the side of the house is hardly acceptable..
I agree. I didn't want to drill a huge hole in our wall so I cut the huge connector off of my 2532 so I could re-crimp on other side of wall (this meant a nice 1/4" hole instead of 1" hole) but I failed. Hik has different color scheme for cat5.. I knew this but I mistakenly wired it wrong, and never could get it to work after fixing my mistake. Probably fried w/ POE. Going to try again with a new camera when I get brave enough. It'd be great if you could feed your own wire through and connect to a terminal directly on these things.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I agree. I didn't want to drill a huge hole in our wall so I cut the huge connector off of my 2532 so I could re-crimp on other side of wall (this meant a nice 1/4" hole instead of 1" hole) but I failed. Hik has different color scheme for cat5.. I knew this but I mistakenly wired it wrong, and never could get it to work after fixing my mistake. Probably fried w/ POE. Going to try again with a new camera when I get brave enough. It'd be great if you could feed your own wire through and connect to a terminal directly on these things.
So wait a sec... you mean I can't use standard T-568A -or- B straight-through ethernet cable wiring to run my Hikvision cameras PoE from my TrendNet PoE switch?

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can. What I did is I cut their factory end so I could fish the smaller wire through, then re-crimp on other side of wall. When you go back to re-crimp their end, the colors are different than the standard cat5 colors and you have to follow some instructions you can find around here. If you're not doing that, you can ignore my whole post. Sorry for the confusion.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fbnoise... oh okay, I understand what you're saying now. I'm really hoping to fit the connectors in the base but we'll have to wait and see.