What to do about this gutter on a conduit run?

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I'm installing some 3/4" EMT (metal) conduit along the back of my house (to protect the Ethernet cable going to cameras), and I want it to go around this corner so I can mount a camera junction box there to look around the side of the house. Only problem is there is a blasted gutter right in the way! It is pretty flush to the wall, so I'm afraid that trying to bend the gutter to get the conduit behind it will look bad. But I'm not really sure there is any graceful way to go around the front of it either... I could just end the conduit at the gutter and snake the cat6 wire behind it but it would be somewhat exposed and that seems like a kind of half assed solution! Is there any kind of... I dunno, cat6 cable sheathing that is UV resistant I could use? I'm open to ideas here!

Attachments

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Because it's near the corner, I would use an LB on the brick side, and an offset into the LB to go over the downspout.

It can also be done with the LB on the gutter side, but it's a personal preference to do it the first way.

You'll need a pipe bender and rain tight fittings.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3/4 conduit ran horizontally for a long run is really going to stick out. Are there no other options to reach the spot you want?

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3/4 conduit ran horizontally for a long run is really going to stick out. Are there no other options to reach the spot you want?
No, not really! However I can paint it to match the siding and that part is the back of the house. If I can figure out something for this gutter then the front of the house will only really see the camera peeking around the corner.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I'm installing some 3/4" EMT (metal) conduit along the back of my house (to protect the Ethernet cable going to cameras), and I want it to go around this corner so I can mount a camera junction box there to look around the side of the house. Only problem is there is a blasted gutter right in the way! It is pretty flush to the wall, so I'm afraid that trying to bend the gutter to get the conduit behind it will look bad. But I'm not really sure there is any graceful way to go around the front of it either... I could just end the conduit at the gutter and snake the cat6 wire behind it but it would be somewhat exposed and that seems like a kind of half assed solution! Is there any kind of... I dunno, cat6 cable sheathing that is UV resistant I could use? I'm open to ideas here!
Hire someone to run the cable for you in wall. It will look super clean. That house is too nice to vandalize with conduit.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i would come down from the attic with outdoor rated bare wire along the board behind the downspout, but i'm lazy...
make a loop where you go horizontal so water running down the wire doesn't flow into the camera.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i would come down from the attic with outdoor rated bare wire along the board behind the downspout, but i'm lazy...
make a loop where you go horizontal so water running down the wire doesn't flow into the camera.
That or run the wire in conduit coming down vertically from the attic ran parallel to the end of the siding or along the gutter. One could make a junction point in a box on the soffit so that if later on the bare wire did get damaged it was an easy replace rather than having to re-pull. But maybe in his situation the attic access is a no go.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Hire someone to run the cable for you in wall. It will look super clean. That house is too nice to vandalize with conduit.
Absolutely! I've seen a few "Franken-houses" before with conduit and coax running all over the place. For the cost of the conduit, other parts and your time it'd be cheaper perhaps to hire someone to run it in the wall.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an LBView attachment 55627

That's actually called an entrance L. An LB has no backset on the body and the threaded, or setscrew conduit fitting, protrudes completely. There are also LL and LR fittings depending on which way you need to turn.

LB.JPG

Last edited:

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's actually call and entrance L. And LB has no backset on the body and the threaded, or setscrew conduit fitting, protrudes completely. There are also LL and LR fittings depending on which way you need to turn.

View attachment 55675
Okay.

Sure.

Except you're wrong.

Here's the different fittings from an IPEX PVC catalog.

It's an LB.

I made the mistake of grabbing one without the protruding portion on the backside.

In my trade (electrical) it's an LB no matter what anyone says. Screenshot_20200216-122132_Drive.jpg

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely! I've seen a few "Franken-houses" before with conduit and coax running all over the place. For the cost of the conduit, other parts and your time it'd be cheaper perhaps to hire someone to run it in the wall.
Well I already had to get conduit ran in a corner to get the line from the attic to the outside. My system is upstairs and running any line between floors inside has proven very difficult (fire stops on both floors). So that is why I opted to drop it from the attic to outside.

I think i looks ok being somewhat hidden by the corner and I haven't even painted it yet. But now I'm thinking that I miiight want to just run bare wire along the siding and where it goes behind the gutter and paint it, the paint will give it a certain amount of UV protection I believe. I don't need the conduit for vandal protection so much as I just thought to do it for weather resistance. BUT it might look worse being part conduit and part bare wire so I'll have to think about it.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Note in your chart that the depiction of the LB shows a projecting, not recessed or set back, conduit fitting on one end. The set back, or c=recessed fitting makes it an entrance ell designed to fit flush with a wall when make entry into the wall or other flat surface.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DO NOT run UTP cable in metallic conduit. If you absolutely must use conduit, use PVC.

A little light physics lesson: Whenever an electrical charge is applied to wire a magnetic field is generated. Yes: Even in very low-voltage scenarios. As the electric field changes, so does the magnetic field surrounding the conductor. Conversely: External magnetic fields induce current in nearby conductors. (This is why you don't want to run network cabling alongside power wiring.)

In a UTP network cable you have two pairs of wires generating constantly changing magnetic fields around their conductors. The size, twist ratios in the individual pairs, and relationships between the pairs all are part of the design of UTP cable that allows it to carry up to gigabits per second of data.

When you place UTP cable in metallic conduit you upset this careful design, because the conduit will affect the magnetic fields surrounding the cable. Furthermore: Any charge the conduit may pick up, and it is, after all, one long antenna of a sort, will be induced back into the cable.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just worked right elbows around it, lol
I wasn’t going to compromise the gutters from doing their job

Also minimizes EMF interference

Last edited:

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Note in your chart that the depiction of the LB shows a projecting, not recessed or set back, conduit fitting on one end. The set back, or c=recessed fitting makes it an entrance ell designed to fit flush with a wall when make entry into the wall or other flat surface.
It's actually called an XLSLB fitting.

Oh, and a C fitting is a pull point that goes inline with the conduit. Screenshot_20200216-123409_Drive.jpg