What to do Hikvision 76xx series or 78xx series

neservice

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, first off fantastic forum

I am int he middle of trying to work out what NVR to go for, i have read on here that most of for the 7608NI or 7616NI but a few have elected to go for the 7816 NVR which is half the price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-NVR-16CH-Network-Video-Recorder-HDMI-NVR-Up-to-6MP-5MP-3MP-1000M-Engineering-project/2041536563.html

I was wondering is there any down fall with the 7816 NVR, i have seen this model without the POE ports (which i prefer as i am using external POE switches), i currently have 6 Hikvision cameras that have all been purchased from Aliexpress

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 7816N-E2 which I bought to experiment with - though I haven't spent much time on that for quite a few weeks, I need to get back to it, lots to explore.
And for my actual home security since about October last year I have a 7816N-E2/8P with 6 Hikvision cameras, an Amovision camera, and WD Purple 4TB and 3TB drives.
I bought both from CSST Wholesale Market, as per your link.
I'm very happy with both, good so far. The 76xxN firmware works on them, though I'm using a modified 78xxN 3.2.1 firmware that has the 'psh' protect shell inhibited and telnet still active.
The NVR is Chinese region, with English menus, and is happy to accept either the English-hacked Chinese region or the mtdblock5&6 converted to English region cameras.
It's easier to change the cameras region than the NVR to avoid the 'language mismatch' problem.

neservice

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 7816N-E2 which I bought to experiment with - though I haven't spent much time on that for quite a few weeks, I need to get back to it, lots to explore.
And for my actual home security since about October last year I have a 7816N-E2/8P with 6 Hikvision cameras, an Amovision camera, and WD Purple 4TB and 3TB drives.
I bought both from CSST Wholesale Market, as per your link.
I'm very happy with both, good so far. The 76xxN firmware works on them, though I'm using a modified 78xxN 3.2.1 firmware that has the 'psh' protect shell inhibited and telnet still active.
The NVR is Chinese region, with English menus, and is happy to accept either the English-hacked Chinese region or the mtdblock5&6 converted to English region cameras.
It's easier to change the cameras region than the NVR to avoid the 'language mismatch' problem.
Hello, thank you for responding

What is psh?

So you would have no hesitation recommending the 7816 or the 7616?

Do you think the 7816N could be changed to a 7816NI at any stage?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
psh is the 'Protect Shell', it's the very limited version of the command shell environment that is usually provided by the slightly limited version of Busybox.
I'd have no hesitation recommending either of those 2 NVR models - as long as you are aware of the need to match up regions between NVR and cameras.
The NVR flash that holds the hardware descriptor is better protected than that of the cameras so I think that what you buy is what you have going forward.

neservice

n3wb
Reaction score
psh is the 'Protect Shell', it's the very limited version of the command shell environment that is usually provided by the slightly limited version of Busybox.
I'd have no hesitation recommending either of those 2 NVR models - as long as you are aware of the need to match up regions between NVR and cameras.
The NVR flash that holds the hardware descriptor is better protected than that of the cameras so I think that what you buy is what you have going forward.
Thanks for the all the info

Can the 78xx be made international if needed at any stage?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can the 78xx be made international if needed at any stage?
It's not as easily possible to change the values in the flash as it is on the cameras - the uImage has an enforced 'read-only' mode in the driver, and the bootloader command set has been restricted.
So:
The NVR flash that holds the hardware descriptor is better protected than that of the cameras so I think that what you buy is what you have going forward

neservice

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not as easily possible to change the values in the flash as it is on the cameras - the uImage has an enforced 'read-only' mode in the driver, and the bootloader command set has been restricted.
So:
Cheers , I can't seecany reason to change the region of my Cams so the 78xx will be fine. The only firmware change I will make to the Cams would back to 5.1.6 giving more detection options

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys I have the same question.

I have 2 cameras 2132F-IS and 2x 2432f they are all from alibaba and CCH in the serial numbers running 5.2.5. I've inserted 64Gb SD cards so got up and going for stage one. This firmware is running very well and so reading all the other postings I will never try to update:)

I want either the 7608N-E2/8P POE or the 7808N-E2/8P but I'm concerned about the capabilities of interacting with the cameras I already have being CCH serial numbers.

1, Can I get either of these NVR's and it work with my Chinese cameras running English?
2. From what I see on the specs of each now they both support 6Mp cameras which used to look like the advantage of the 78xx.

I've read the other topics, and seen contradicting information about which is international and which is not etc.

Can anyone advise fenderman or alastair??

thanks guys, this forum is fricken awesome for knowledge sharing for newbies like us.

I'm an IT guy and quite enjoying all there is to learn about CCTV, and there's a lot!!! More than you think.

I was disappointed to see the NVR email attached photos issue with the 3.3.2 NVR firmware as I use emails and attached photos on alarms. and this is one of the versions on one of the NVRs.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Alastair are you able to shed any light on what I should do below?? All these Chinese vs international vs English hacked firmwares from alibaba does make me wonder if its all worth the effort sourcing from alibaba.

I have 2 cameras 2132F-IS and 2x 2432f they are all from alibaba and CCH in the serial numbers running 5.2.5. I've inserted 64Gb SD cards so got up and going for stage one. This firmware is running very well and so reading all the other postings I will never try to update:)

I want either the 7608N-E2/8P POE or the 7808N-E2/8P but I'm concerned about the capabilities of interacting with the cameras I already have being CCH serial numbers.

1, Can I get either of these NVR's and it work with my Chinese cameras running English?
2. From what I see on the specs of each now they both support 6Mp cameras which used to look like the advantage of the 78xx.

I've read the other topics, and seen contradicting information about which is international and which is not etc.

Can anyone advise fenderman or alastair??

thanks guys, this forum is fricken awesome for knowledge sharing for newbies like us.

I'm an IT guy and quite enjoying all there is to learn about CCTV, and there's a lot!!! More than you think.

I was disappointed to see the NVR email attached photos issue with the 3.3.2 NVR firmware as I use emails and attached photos on alarms. and this is one of the versions on one of the NVRs.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think either of these NVRs would be a safe enough choice for Chinese cameras hacked to English, though that does depend on the version of firmware in the NVR.
The older firmware (eg 3.0.8 or 3.0.10) is less restrictive about 'language mismatch' with cameras.
The newer manufactured NVRs are going to have newer firmware installed, but there is quite a range of versions available if a downgrade needs to be experimented with.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think either of these NVRs would be a safe enough choice for Chinese cameras hacked to English, though that does depend on the version of firmware in the NVR.
The older firmware (eg 3.0.8 or 3.0.10) is less restrictive about 'language mismatch' with cameras.
The newer manufactured NVRs are going to have newer firmware installed, but there is quite a range of versions available if a downgrade needs to be experimented with.
thanks Alastair. The newest firmware is 3.3.2 I understand.

I think I might go with the 7608N-E2/8P. There's about 80 odd positive feedbacks for one supplier and i would have thought out of all those that someone would have flagged an issue if it couldnt talk to both english and chinese hacked english cameras.

One guy in oz even said it both for both types of cameras. Although I dont know what firmware version he got back on his review.

Ideally I would like to avoid loading firmware, mucking around, I'm too busy for all that and just want stuff to work.

I see there's a bit of mucking around with POE, and direct camera access, but i see "Virtual host" resolves that, and so I guess i'll figure that bridge out when I get to it, and trust for the moment theres a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the differences in functionality and perfomance between the 76xx and 78xx series NVRs?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the differences in functionality and perfomance between the 76xx and 78xx series NVRs?
From what I been reading however I am not 100 percent sure. The 78xx have faster processor and supports camera with IPC features while 76xx does not.

But I been seeing something called "76xx Project" and it claims to have same processor as 78xx and supports camera with IPC feature on the internet so I have no idea if that a modified NVR or a NVR build for tinkerers in mind etc.

Bill

aztihg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a very similar question. Currently, I have 4 cameras 1x3132I (5.2.0), 1x2332I (5.2.0), 1x2332I (5.2.5) and 1x2232I5 (5.2.0). They are all from aliexpress and CCH in the serial numbers. I already prepared the mtdblock5&6 files to convert to English region the 5.2.0 cameras but not transferred the files into the cameras yet.

I want either the 7816N-E2 or the 7832N-E2. Both are coming as Chinese 3.3.4 build 150616, but I'm concerned about the capabilities of interacting with the cameras I already have being CCH serial numbers. Will they work with my cameras or should I go with 7608NI which is 70% more expensive than the 7816N?

Thanks,
aztihg

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a very similar question. Currently, I have 4 cameras 1x3132I (5.2.0), 1x2332I (5.2.0), 1x2332I (5.2.5) and 1x2232I5 (5.2.0). They are all from aliexpress and CCH in the serial numbers. I already prepared the mtdblock5&6 files to convert to English region the 5.2.0 cameras but not transferred the files into the cameras yet.

I want either the 7816N-E2 or the 7832N-E2. Both are coming as Chinese 3.3.4 build 150616, but I'm concerned about the capabilities of interacting with the cameras I already have being CCH serial numbers. Will they work with my cameras or should I go with 7608NI which is 70% more expensive than the 7816N?

Thanks,
aztihg
I would just like to mention my experience here
I have just purchased 2 ds-7832n-E2 nvrs
That came factory standard Chinese with Chinese interface and 3.3.4 firmware with 09/2015 manufacturing date.

It looks like the Tftp function may have been altered in the boot loader I've tried 4 different pc's with various operating systems and always get failed to open file errors.
And looking at it a bit furthers it looks like the nvr is not calling Tftp like it used to.

I am awaiting the arrival of a serial interface to hopefully be able to manually push firmware to the nvr

But I cannot say how successful this will be until I try it.

As these 78 series come with the Chinese interface it may not be possible to downgrade at this point to get English language interface through standard Tftp or even serial ttl connection (until I try it)

The above is purely from my own experience and I don't claim to be right and I may have something fundamentally wrong with the pc's I tried Tftp on so it would be interesting to see if anybody has successfully Tftp loaded firmware from a 09/2015+ manufactured 78 seiers nvr with 3.3.4 firmware factory installed