What to do if DVR does not seem to be be detected?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a TVI system installed a few weeks ago. Until now I was viewing the camera feeds either through a web page or through the IVMS 4200 remote client. For some reason, neither of these modalities is now seeing any of my cameras. When I try going to the web address of the DVR I get a message saying "no such address" and if I try the remote client it just says "Error code 302 (camera is disabled or not connected)". Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I checked the connection to the router and that seems to be OK. I can not really check the DVR itself because it's not very accessible (although I could do it in a pinch).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How was the IP configuration set up?
If the DVR was set as DHCP (not reservations) and the router assigned a different pool address, this would give those symptoms.
It may be worth checking the router's 'connected devices' table to see what IP address if any is in use by the DVR.
Also - it could simply have frozen. How easy would it be to power-cycle it?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I would see this info. Under my router settings it says "DHCP enabled" and it gives an address range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149. I have no idea what this means. I also see DNS addresses, submasks etc. Again, no idea what any of it means!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
"DHCP enabled" and it gives an address range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149.
That means your router is providing a DHCP service for whichever device requests it, following which it will assign to it an IP address in the pool range you quoted.
But the question is - on your NVR, is it set to use a DHCP server and therefore to be given an IP address from that pool, the specific one given can vary?
If so - you can find what it is from your router.

Also in your router there will be a list of 'connected devices' along with the associated IP addresses and MAC addresses, from which you might be able to find the DVR if it's no longer on the address you thought it was.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I opened up my DHCP Active IP Table" and noticed that there were 6 devices there with MAC addresses. Five of those devices were computers that we have in our office. The sixth was just a string of numbers which I'm not sure what it refers to. There was also a "DHCP server IP address" on top of the table. Elsewhere I saw that I had two static DNS addresses also. With regard to your question: I am not using an NVR, this is a DVR. Also, I have no idea if it was set to use a DHCP server and I don't know how to tell this from the router. I can get into the router settings and I have reported what I saw there. There is nothing in that router's settings to clue me into whether or not it has to do with my DVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I opened up my DHCP Active IP Table"
Is there also a 'Connected devices' table?

Five of those devices were computers that we have in our office. The sixth was just a string of numbers which I'm not sure what it refers to.
OK, so 6 devices are connected, 5 are known and one is unknown.
If you are very lucky, maybe the unknown one is your DVR.
Maybe try this "Until now I was viewing the camera feeds either through a web page" using the IP address of the unknown device in the list.