What type of cameras for indoor(business)?

Reaction score
What type of cameras are preferred indoors in businesses? Dome or turret? I know that the dome would add slightly better vandal protection. However the same camera in a turret would offer better overall image with the superior IR correct?

Cameras will be 2MP varifocal starlight's, only difference being dome vs turret.

One issue is merchandise, their has been issues in the past of people standing in front of the cameras view to steal merchandise. I guess the only was to combat this would be too put a camera directly above the shelves and facing straight down. ID'ing wouldn't be as important as their will be numerous other cameras that would ID face against the persons clothes. Can turrets face straight down if mounted horizontal from the ceiling?

Anything else i'm missing? Or any info you guys can add?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Domes do not add any vandal protection...if this is for indoors with lighting and you dont need low light capabilites then you can save money and go with something other than starlight...there is a 3mp varifocal turret from dahua (no audio) for about 100...

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Domes do not add any vandal protection...if this is for indoors with lighting and you dont need low light capabilites then you can save money and go with something other than starlight...there is a 3mp varifocal turret from dahua (no audio) for about 100...
There are even 4mp Varifocals from Dahua for that price.

Cameras will be 2MP varifocal starlight's, only difference being dome vs turret.
I personally would go domes, if only to throw some doubt about where the camera is orientated.