What UPS

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm ready for a UPS. (Should have done is sooner.) I've been reading of heat/fire issues and wondering what model to go for. I have a HP Elitedesk running BI and when finished will have 7 -8 cameras. Also have things like my Router, switch, a couple of different hubs and a small NAS powered in a cabinet.

Any suggestions on a brand/size to go with?

Reaction score
I have three APC BN1500M2. One that just powers my BI server, one powers just the POE switches, and one powers the modem/router, standard switch, and NAS. I have other smaller UPS around the house, all are APC. I had some small Cyberpower ones, but they crapped out quickly and one started smoking (unfiltered Pall Malls, I think). They were replaced by APC models.

When I lived in Nigeria, the power was always going out. One needed UPS so that your equipment would not get fried. Grid goes down, gens come on, grid comes back, gens shut down. There was always a few minutes there without power during the switch overs. Always some kind of spikes and low voltage. They got heavy usage. All we had there were APC brand and they lasted the five years I was there.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have three APC BN1500M2. One that just powers my BI server, one powers just the POE switches, and one powers the modem/router, standard switch, and NAS. I have other smaller UPS around the house, all are APC. I had some small Cyberpower ones, but they crapped out quickly and one started smoking (unfiltered Pall Malls, I think). They were replaced by APC models.

When I lived in Nigeria, the power was always going out. One needed UPS so that your equipment would not get fried. Grid goes down, gens come on, grid comes back, gens shut down. There was always a few minutes there without power during the switch overs. Always some kind of spikes and low voltage. They got heavy usage. All we had there were APC brand and they lasted the five years I was there.
I use 3 in just this same config. However i have 2 APC 1500s for the POE and BI server, and then 1 APC SMT-1500C with the smart connect (you get email notifications etc) for the main modem, router, house switch, etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had been using APC's since late 80's, tried a couple of Cyberpower units circa 2016 with poor results within a few months...it's APC all the way for me now.
YMMV !

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have almost all cyberpower, and lately buy the PFC ones mainly because I've had PCs that weren't as stable on the "regular" non-PFC kind. I did buy one APC last year when Newegg had them on sale one day, but it smells funny so I likely won't be buying another.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using APC for all of my IT customers. I took over one account that had several Cyber Power UPS,
and they were paying the previous IT company to send someone out to turn it back on every time the power \
was down long enough for it to shut down. They are in small town America on a rural electric company, so
it happens fairly often. I dropped APC units and they start up when the power comes back. I can shut down
the servers when the ups reaches 50% battery, so it is not a hard shut down. Then they will come back on
their own when power comes back. That in it's self makes the APC worth it. Saves me a 60+ mile drive.

If you are home all the time, it might not be a big deal for you.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have about 6 APC units and a couple of Cyberpower units and after over 15 years of use and replacing batteries every 3 or 4 years, I have never had an experience that would make me overly concerned about the risk of a fire. I do try to keep them several inches away from combustible surfaces though.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which one to buy that will come back on when power is restored from an extended outage where the ups batteries run out?

Most UPS unit do not power back on once power is restored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
APC. Cannot argue with a quality unit.
9 years later a CS500 unit I have is still working, the battery has degraded as normal but the unit is fine.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all. How important is Pure Sine Wave?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Pure sine wave can be important with some equipment, like radio gear, since a saw tooth can generate "noise" that will interfere with them. For a PC, PoE switch, router, modem, it really shouldn't matter much at all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My office machine was noticeably less stable on a regular UPS than on an "Active PFC" UPS that claimed pure sine wave output. It would BSOD once every 1-3 months or so, and when I switched to the Active PFC UPS, the BSODs stopped. The main clue I guess was that the BIOS would complain of detecting power surges when it started back up.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What brand US was that @bp2008 ? I have a sine wave and a saw tooth, both APC, and have never had a problem. In fact the saw tooth model, SU1500 I think, is on its fifth or sixth set of batteries it's so old.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First one was APC, maybe APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA. I'm not even sure it doesn't have pure sinewave output. Replaced it with Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD and it has been stable since then.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find UPSs to be inefficient for cameras.
To think that the device steps 12v (or 48v) from the battery to 110v/230v and the device connected is likely to step the voltage down to 12v and 48v. Huge inefficiencies.