What would be a good 4k poe camera?

Reaction score
Hi guys, i drew a diagram of what im thinking to do. Id like to have just one managed switch and set up a vlan, but does it defeat the purpose of having two NICs and separating the networks? What im trying to say is will my, my wifes, my childs traffic be slowed by everything going into a managed switch (diagram B) instead of two separate unmanaged switches (diagram A).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i drew a diagram of what im thinking to do. Id like to have just one managed switch and set up a vlan, but does it defeat the purpose of having two NICs and separating the networks? What im trying to say is will my, my wifes, my childs traffic be slowed by everything going into a managed switch (diagram B) instead of two separate unmanaged switches (diagram A).

you will never congest a gigabit network with your camera traffic

Reaction score
you will never congest a gigabit network with your camera traffic
Ok so if I'm understanding correctly now, people are using a separate NIC to isolate the cameras and BI server simply for security purposes, not traffic or congestion. Is that right?
So the answer to questions I had are:
- Use a second NIC to isolate the network for security purposes.
- A single managed switch will be fine for the entire home network including the security cameras and BI server.
- Set up firewalls so cameras cannot access the internet.
- Diagram B either achieves the exact same result as diagram B, or is better.
Is that all true?
Any comments or concerns with the diagram?

I have just finished wiring a new circuit to the server closet, will be plaster boarding today, then painting, then hopefully setting the system up. Cameras should arrive tomorrow.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like picture A
I use two nic cards in my BI PC, one connects to the homehnetwor and the other connects to the camera network. I use multiple unmanaged switches. One less headache, plug and go. One set of switches for the home network, another set of POE switches for the cameras. I use multiple switches as it reduces the length of the wire runs. All computers and switches are on separate UPS.

Last edited: