What would make a good spider-web removal tool?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Spider web season is back in full swing. Last year I just lived with the same silk strands causing motion detection clips night after night (until they naturally fell off), but this year I am going to do something about it.

Anyone have any favorite tools for removing spider webs on just-out-of-reach cameras?

How does something like this look?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013B1Y2I

Maybe I can find something cheaper at the local hardware store since everything on Amazon has shipping charges hidden in the price?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Paint brush on a pole.

Try spraying some wasp spray around the cam, careful not to get any on it, it can damage the lens cover. Doesn't take much, just a quick splat behind mine when I see them trying to move back in or after a heavy rain.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just went through and disabled IR on about 70-80 Hikvision and ACTi cameras. That does not help me at all on the analog cameras but still I'll take what help I can get! Only 700 more IP cameras to go.......

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use that exact same thing I use for webs. Works great. Make sure you dont lie it down too long or it will deform the bristles.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And to get rid of the existing webs, why not use a hose and spray em down?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unless you got really soft water thats just liable to put a bunch of hard to clean water spots on it.. rain can be kinda of dirty but it dont leave heavy mineral deposits behind.

when I power wash my siding and cameras I always grab the ladder and polish the glass again when done..

for spider webs I just use a pole mount duster, and an appropriate pole.. on my brick facade you need to get the webs down before spraying any water or they just stick to the brick and are a pain to remove.

I use a bug zapper mounted near my trashcans to help keep those cameras bug free.. I can definitely tell the difference when the zapper is off on a summer evening.

funhouse69

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried a few various brushes and ended up liking this one mostly because it has softer bristles. The only caveat is that it doesn't work with all poles. I have one I got from Home Depot and it doesn't quite lock in or screw on but still works.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085SYABE

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just have a talk with the spiders, ask them to not loiter in front of the camera lens. Worked for me ;)

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score