Whats Causing Poor Video

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2342FWD-I 4MP WDR. The first one I had would show a small black spot in the center. Also after it was on for a while the video would start to digitize and look kind of pink. I sent it back and got a new cam. Good news is the black spot is gone. Bad news is it keeps getting this strange video after it’s on for a while. See the pictures below. Yes, my yard needs a little water:peaceful:

GoodCamPic.jpg

BadCamPic.jpg

Also you can see a car in the bad screenshot. This car is stuck on the video, but I can still see tree branches blowing. Any ideas?

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can fix it by switching the camera to nighttime and then back to day. That fixes it, but after a few minutes it's back to the bad video. I now have 5 cameras and this is the only one doing this. Maybe being close to my house is causing this to happen? It starts out showing a little bit of pixilation and continues to get worse.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the camera settings? Bitrate, iframe etc

What is the camera firmware version?

Btw, those pics took an hour to load, you can compress and resize them a little next time. We don't need the full 4MP uncompressed to see the error.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I forget some users still have dialup:peaceful:

The firmware is the same on all cams, 5.3.8. Also I have the video set to 2688X1520, vbr, 10 fps, iframe 50, smoothing 50.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, UK is the stone-age for Internet speeds, it's a joke. Anyway...

Bitrate? H.264+

Reduce i-frame to 20, 50 is way to long.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I have changed i-frame to 20. I have H.264+ off. I have the i-frame set to 50 for my other cams at 50 too. Should I also change them? I was not sure of some of these setting so I left the default it I didn't know what it was.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Change them all to 20. 50 is ok if your fps is 25 but not when 10. This might fix it.

Bitrate? Bitrate? Bitrate? Third time is always the charm.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
haha, sorry. I put vbr in the first post thinking that was the correct abbreviation. I kind of guessed on that. It's set to variable with a max of 6144.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well if that doesn't fix it and you're not having problems with the others then I would run a temporary pre-made decent cable round there (you can get tested Cat6 full copper 20m for less than $20) and see what happens. If it's not that (most times it will be!) then I'd recommend if no-one else pops up with a decent answer to re-tftp v5.3.8 on which will do a full restore to defaults for firmware and settings, you'll prob need that cable for that!

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well so far so good. Video still looks clear after I made that change. I'm really hopping it's not the cable. It made a long journey from my basement, to the garage, to the attic, to the side of the house.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope it's not either, but that info makes it even more likely!

If it's not a cable then the symptoms to point towards this i-frame thing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the cable...the signal is digital and a cable problem will not manifest in this manner.

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Del! Seems to be working great. Strange that was the only camera that did that. That is on the south side of my house and has direct sunlight. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.