What's your Blue Iris Setup like? (List Specifications)

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used to run it in a VM running on a XEON. I tried loads of times to pass through the Intel graphics through (this Xeon version has it) and it doesn't work. I ended up essentially building a similar machine and running Windows natively. I like the Xeons as they have ECC memory and I use a RAID to ensure the system is stable. Everything gets backed up onto a ZFS NAS.

How many cameras do you have on that machine to get that kind of usage on the VM (now many megapixels).
What processor and what hypervisor were you trying to pass through the iGPU?

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still concerned over 10th Gen CPU's though, why the Package TDP exceeds the TDP specified for a 65W and 125W CPU, but that's reserved for a separate discussion :)
That's boost, it's all ok since it's determined by the motherboard and thermal limits automatically.
Also, it's been done way earlier than You think. For example, an i7-8550U CPU in my laptop has a TDP of 15 W, but I've seen it report power usage of around 35 W for short spikes.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its crazy how some motherboards will keep the processor running at its boost turbo frequency. Apparently, that's against Intel guidelines

That's boost, it's all ok since it's determined by the motherboard and thermal limits automatically.
Also, it's been done way earlier than You think. For example, an i7-8550U CPU in my laptop has a TDP of 15 W, but I've seen it report power usage of around 35 W for short spikes.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@ARAMP1 how hot does your network closet get?
Its fairly well ventilated, so pretty much whatever it is in the room. I plumbed in a 300cfm bathroom type fan in the ceiling, and there's a hole in the door, so it does a good job of moving air.

Its plumbed into my central air, so sometimes during the spring or fall when the AC or heat is off and the air in the house isn't moving a whole lot, you can tell it gets warmer in the closet.

20200717_163332.jpg

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its fairly well ventilated, so pretty much whatever it is in the room. I plumbed in a 300cfm bathroom type fan in the ceiling, and there's a hole in the door, so it does a good job of moving air.

Its plumbed into my central air, so sometimes during the spring or fall when the AC or heat is off and the air in the house isn't moving a whole lot, you can tell it gets warmer in the closet.

View attachment 66551
Oh wow! Wish I had central air so I could pipe it in to my cabinet. In the summer my cabinet stays between 78°-84°. That's measured in just about the direct center of the cabinet.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about ambient temperature as long as your spinning drives don't get too hot (below 45 C / 113 F). Everything else in your computer can handle much higher ambient temperatures.

spencers

n3wb
Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about ambient temperature as long as your spinning drives don't get too hot (below 45 C / 113 F). Everything else in your computer can handle much higher ambient temperatures.
So true. Heat kills spinning rust :(

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my bigger systems (40-64 cams) run Skylake i5s with 16GB of RAM, CIF resolution on the sub streams @ 256-512kBps where possible. about 20-40% CPU.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm just running the basics at this point. Dell optiplex 7010 with a Intel Core i7-3770S 3.10GHz. 32 GB ram. Yesterday i snapped a photo showing CPU 27% Mem 2.65 Gb. I havent reduced any of the streams from defaults. I have 6 Cameras running at the moment. 4-5Mp and 2-2Mp. ( but Nightowl is using CPU Clocks also for Windows based viewer from the local DVR. )
Video/jpg's are saving to a WD Blue 5.0 TB. OS( Win 10 64) is on a Samsung Evo 256 GB SSD.
Blue iris is version 5(paid). The original processor was a Core i-3. The i-7 runs a bit warm in this maintenance room with the stock cooler. I have 4inch boiler pipes and domestic hotwater pipes running across the ceiling. Once i saw the temps climbing past 70C-75C, I switched the bios to "fans at full speed", now its hovering around 59-65C.
I think I might like an Optiplex Minitower with more room for a larger fan at some point. Or a maybe a 3rd gen Dell precision MT cooler if it's any bigger.
POE switch is a Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S Catalyst 24-Port Gigabit PoE+.
Router is a piece of crap a homeowner threw away from Dlink. System is offline. but I can use the Wifi from it to view Nightowl CMS DVR another room on my phone away from the noise and heat.
Also can peek in on status and see what ip addresses are showing up.
Running cat5e riser cable from Fast Cat on Amazon. terminates nicely, pulls out of the box nicely. Of course having said that, I shoulda looked under my nose first. Menards had Cat5e solid core about 12 bucks cheaper. :) doh.
I am not experienced with BI. So I flip switches and turn features on and off, go home and see how it recorded over night, tweak some stuff, read some stuff, crash camera's, ruin working configs, and bumble my way into decent camera setups for now.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
MB: ASUS B450M Pro
Memory: 32 GB Corsair Veng. 2x16
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1030
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 450W GM 80+ Gold
Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro 240mm
BI 5
SSD: Evo 850
HHD1: 6TB IronWolf
HHD2: 6TB SkyHawk (BI)
ExtHDD: 8TB Seagate Archive

POE Switch: Extreme 440-G2.
Cams, still working on them. IPC-T5442T-ZE arrived just need to test things to pick the others.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For my Blue Irish setup I use a Commodore 64. A 300 baud modem hooked to the cams. I use a 5.25 floppy drive for recording.
What a sweet machine she is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
System =
System.jpg
Drives =

disk drives.jpg
Cameras =
Ud 4364n-a = 1 Hikvision
Ipc t2231t-zs-s2 = 2 Dahua
ipc t5442tm-as-led = 1 Dahua
ipc t2431t-as = 3 Dahua
ipc hfw1831c-pir = 2 Dahua
sd 49225t-hn = 1 ptz Dahua
sd 22204ue-gn = 2 ptz Dahua
sd 1a203t-gn = 1 ptz Dahua

Blue Iris
blue Iris clip.jpg

I use this computer for web surfing and surveillance. And posting all my videos.

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is a:

HP 600 G2 desktop
i5-6500 CPU
12Gb DDR4 RAM
256Gb Samsung SSD
2 x 2Tb Western Dig hard drives
Dual NIC, well actually 4 but I only use 2

6 x 2Mp 5231-ze starlight cams
TrendNet 8+2 port POE managed switch

CPU usage between 20-27%, RAM usage approx 3.2Gb

I run it completely headless, with the BIOS set to auto start on power failure and have virtualisation and WOL enabled as I run Docker for Windows and AITools. The WOL is so I can send it a packet to wake it up if the worst comes to the worst as the thing is in the loft.
are you running DeepQuestAI in the windows docker?

atx2222

n3wb
Reaction score
What's your Blue Iris Setup like? (List Specifications, especially RAM and CPU Usage)
Also, how many watts does your system does your system use and cost to operate on a monthly basis (from a electrical utility bill perspective)?
No idea about power usage, but I dont like it when the fan is on. When Im not viewing any screens the fan stays off.

I have 5 hik vision cameras, one bullet and 4 dome (3 are
Hikvision IP Camera 4MP DS-2CD2142FWD-I )

Im in the process of switching to all bullets as I could never fix the glare on the domes
tp-link 8 port gigabit POE switch
I have an old dell T3500 (at least 10 years old) running windows 10. 24 gb of ram and a 2TB SSD. The machine was running slow, but once I maxed the ram and added the large SSD it now works great and is super fast. The CPU is a 3Ghz XEON X5670 that I added maybe 2 years ago.

Blue iris runs about 66% of CPU and overall ram usage is about 40%. blue iris says it is using about 2.5gb

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was an E3 (I think 1245 with the embedded Intel GPU) and it was ESXi 6.7.
I have a Xeon E-224G and ESXi 6.7 and iGPU passthrough is working fine for me. Let me know if you want to try doing passthrough again and I will share my settings.