What's your favorite IP camera and why?

gaijin4ever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
(I bet you saw this coming)

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

I have 9 of them.

Great price, tiny camera, great build quality, great image quality, and feature-rich firmware. I just wish they made an affordable PTZ.
I heard how great this camera was, and I got two to hook up to my Dahua NVR 5808. Only problem is, I can't get them to work reliably. I can get a picture, but it will break up or freeze within a short amount of time. Is this camera incompatible with the Dahua NVRs?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe you need the most recent dahua firmware to work well with the hikvisions

gaijin4ever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe you need the most recent dahua firmware to work well with the hikvisions
I upgraded to the Jan 10th version of the 5808 Firmware and now I can't get a color picture on the Hikvision at all. Liveview on the web works fine, and the 5808 will detect it, but it's stuck in night vision mode. I've changed the clocks so it knows the time is day.

EDIT:Nevermind. Rebooting the camera solved that. I get video that doesn't freeze now!

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:star::star::star::star::star: for PCMG with post #14 and the 4 simultaneous side by side video shots!

Are those taken with the turret model?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I upgraded to the Jan 10th version of the 5808 Firmware and now I can't get a color picture on the Hikvision at all. Liveview on the web works fine, and the 5808 will detect it, but it's stuck in night vision mode. I've changed the clocks so it knows the time is day.

EDIT:Nevermind. Rebooting the camera solved that. I get video that doesn't freeze now!
Glad to hear that it's working now.

secuexpess

n3wb
Reaction score
I used Dahua and GWSECU IP cams before, but recently try to use Dahua HDCVI Camera, it's easy to use.

ZenJaku

n3wb
Reaction score
I have use some...China (i think it's from China) IP camera which copy its look from Foscam.
It is very cheap approx $70 but has ptz, 1MP, SD card slot, etc. very likely of foscam FI9821W V2.
The video quality is ok. The reason i love it is the price VS function. I can't afford Dahua,D-link... the BRAND price is too high for me.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really like the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I. I have a 2.8 mm and the 4mm lens. I am using them via POE since you have to link into to a network cord for power anyway. I think they are the best on the market now given the quality, price, and features such as audio. I would buy more if my family wasn't getting irritated by them.

DS-2CD2432F-I Hikvision Indoor

http://youtu.be/ZGCLh6a772w

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone Have video of the hd cvi cameras?

Reaction score
Have the same camera, just not poe, and I'm wondering how yours is doing, and what software you use to upload to the internet.

Thanks for your time.

Wayne Shaw
I purchased this camera, and it should arrive by tomorrow:

TriVision NC-336PW Wi-Fi Wireless & POE Combo HD 1080P Home IP Security Camera Outdoor. (Install in 3 Steps with Our Free iPhone, iPad and Android apps. 15m Night Vision, Motion Sensor, SD card DVR expadable 128Gb, and more).

It's my first IP cam and attempt to increase home security. I can't comment yet, but I hope to, in the near future.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used Foscam for a while and they are ok as long as you use them as a dummy camera and don't try to do *ANYTHING* locally on the camera as you'll run into quirks and issues. And god forbid you actually update the firmware on a Foscam. More often that not you'll end up with a brick like I did with three of mine. Their forums of full of people with bricked cams when doing firmware updates.

Don is nice enough to help users with bricked cams when he can, but the Foscam firmware update process sucks to say the least.

Hikvision from now on for me.

PS: Anyone want to buy two Foscam FI9802W for cheap? Just don't attempt a firmware upgrade.

vidmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The issue IMHO was that Foscam never had before created their own firmware for cameras prior to the FI9821W V1, FI9801W and FI9802W camera models. All prior camera models were using firmware that a 3rd party built. That's not excusing them for that. Just stating what was going on.

Those camera models also use the Hi3507 SoC Chipset. Whereas the newer camera models are using the Hi3518 SoC Chipset.

They now however are finally after dismal first attempts with their first in-house created firmware for the FI9821W V1, FI9801W and FI9802W are doing much better. I can only attribute the initial issues with having never created or maintained their own firmware before, while going from only MJPEG based IP Cameras to also HD models as well.

Don
I can work with a company when their software has defects and they do try to get them fixed. That's my day job. But Foscam never went back and fixed any of those bad firmwares. You can go to their site right now and download firmware that is guaranteed to brick your cam. That's just not a company I would recommend to anyone.

Vidmo

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My favorite IP cameras are IQ inVision (IQeye)! Any of them...

Not because it is the best camera out there but their support is amazing. The ones that I have are old, one 2 megapixel built in 1998, but they still have firmware updates for them. The overwhelming thing is they still work and are on 24/7 doing their thing years later. The design of their cameras was far ahead of the times. I have others like Hikvision, Going and one AXIS (I can’t get on the AXIS bandwagon) that I will let you know about in 5-10 years if they last that long.

My choice might be because I am just old and want things to work the first time and never have to fool with it ever again..... :D

Last edited by a moderator: