WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam with GPS

dalepa

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a dashcam for years now, and I finally ordered the WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam with GPS for my upcoming Yellowstone vacation. The price is finally in my ballpark at $119 with GPS and SuperHD.

Tips?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been considering this since I bought my Subaru Crosstrek.

Let me know what you think after you've used it for a bit.

dalepa

Reaction score
Received my $119 WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam with GPS yesterday, added a $38 128GB sdcard (holds about 20 hours) and mounted in my car. It works perfectly.

Used Registrator Viewer to playback to .MOV files and then used Windows 10 build in recorder to capture the video for upload to my youtube site

I did find that setting to -2EV looks best. I don't have a power plug that turns off when the engine is off, so I need to unplug it or it will stay on. A hardwire cable is available from wheelwitness.

Buy!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well got me excited since I liked form factor, but night IQ doesn't seem to be that good...

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Received my $119 WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam with GPS yesterday, added a $38 128GB sdcard (holds about 20 hours) and mounted in my car. It works perfectly.

Used Registrator Viewer to playback to .MOV files and then used Windows 10 build in recorder to capture the video for upload to my youtube site

I did find that setting to -2EV looks best. I don't have a power plug that turns off when the engine is off, so I need to unplug it or it will stay on. A hardwire cable is available from wheelwitness.

Buy!
Just received mine in the mail. Hope to get some time later today to play. Thanks for the heads up.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score

Buy!
Wow you live like 2 miles from me :). I'm over off El Dorado near 45. You really avoid 45 on your commute, ha!

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Buy!
Got one of those to test out,for that Gps and Super HD.
Looks really good, i see that you have set at -2EV , Mine is at +0.3EV , Will change to your setting to see how is it! Did not have lot of time to play as i just got it.

What firmware version you have? i have V7.0

Thank you!

KE4RZ1

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this forum when I was looking for information about the WheelWitness HD Pro. Newegg sent me an e-mail with this camera on sale this morning. The sale goes off in around 3 hours and I was wanting some input before the sale is over. It's only $100 right now. Here's the link for the sale if anyone is interested.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the gps is these just for geotagging the video? Or does this camera have a sim as well, so it can be used as a gps tracker?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for geo tagging, I believe. So far I like this camera. The 170° view is great. I have a 16gb card in it, class 10. Highest resolution seems a little noisy but I'll have to have a better look at it. I prefer not to have a larger capacity card for dash cams as I find it unnecessary to have tons of unimportant video archived. 16gb seems to be the sweet spot.

Reaction score
The GPS is more than geotagging. With the software and database it creates it will actually tell how fast you're going. You can actually get a mph right on the video playback. Good info to have if you're in an accident you're not at fault nor speeding.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I believe you're better off with a bare no frills camera that concentrates on image quality. It's worth remembering that any footage that shows you over the speed limit prior to a collision, is unusable. That's the downside to GPS and everyone creeps over the speed limit at times even if you're someone that doesn't speed per se. It's easy to prove the location of where a collision occurred using Google Street View.

The footage looks dark but that maybe the -2ev setting. I'm guessing you use this because the normal setting blew out the highlights such as sky. What matters is the action on the road and the cars. It's not a Hollywood movie and so items like sky are irrelevant. That said, a camera with advanced metering should reduce the tendency to blow highlights / darken shadows.

Reaction score
Well you could be doing something wrong so why even put it on a dash cam.

You mentioned Street View and someone could try and guess at your speed based on landmarks in a video and distance / time. For me personally I'd rather just have it recorded versus being open to interpretation.

I was in an accident where somebody pulled a u-turn right in front of me, I T'd them, and had it all on cam (true story). Their only defense could have been that I was speeding. I wasn't (from what I can tell) and it didn't come down to that but since then I've always opted to have that on the GPS also.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Well you could be doing something wrong so why even put it on a dash cam.

You mentioned Street View and someone could try and guess at your speed based on landmarks in a video and distance / time. For me personally I'd rather just have it recorded versus being open to interpretation.

I was in an accident where somebody pulled a u-turn right in front of me, I T'd them, and had it all on cam (true story). Their only defense could have been that I was speeding. I wasn't (from what I can tell) and it didn't come down to that but since then I've always opted to have that on the GPS also.
I didn't mention interpreting speed from video. You can't. Unless your speed is obviously dangerous, no one can prove anything. Even then if driving dangerously, it can't prove your speed, only show dangerous driving. Hopefully, no-one would record themselves driving dangerously or be stupid enough to drive dangerously in the 1st place.

I mention Street View not for calculation but rather because it provides pictures confirming the location and views of junctions etc from multiple angles including the air. A far better view than a dashcam alone.

GPS's real purpose is to prove speed. The trouble with GPS is eg. if travelling in a US residential area where the limit is 25mph (I know if varies by state), and GPS shows you over 25mph, then the footage of the accident becomes useless at proving you weren't at fault. In your case, the other driver in your example, having turned across you is definitely at fault in the majority. You say you weren't speeding from what "I could tell" and no doubt your dashcam proved your weren't at fault in respect of the position of vehicles / manoeuvres. However, GPS may have proved otherwise on the speed.

If it does, being proven over the limit, even by only a small margin you'd accidentally creeped over without noticing, has the potential to introduce arguments of contributory negligence ie if you were travelling those few mph slower, the accident could be avoided. This takes you from a position of 100% blame on the other driver to some percentage of blame on you. That is enough to potentially affect your future insurance premiums as your insurance company potentially has to foot a percentage of the bill. It may also lead to prosecution if the police in your state have the power to seize the GPS embedded footage. Without GPS, as you already found with "so far as I can tell", it's impossible from video to tell whether someone is travelling at 25 or 30mph leaving the blame squarely 100% on the other driver and you in the clear.

Opinions will vary and I've seen posts like mine and posts in support of GPS. It's personal. For me, I'd rather than have something that simply showed what happened rather than potentially hangs me as well. When choosing a cam, there are plenty out there that don't have GPS or have it as an optional module only. So just be aware there is choice and pro's and con's to both.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I turn off audio, no GPS and turned off the g motion setting too. I only have the time and date stamp and it doesn't keep time well so I try and keep that as accurate as possible. Date and time stamp - the only two things worth showing besides the video itself.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well my WheelWitness HD Pro has the "movie recovery" error message everytime i start the truck, talk to support and they said is the battery , after done som other testing. And then today i got a message on screen "battery low"
So i guess will try to open the dashcam apart when i have time to see what battery it has. WheelWitness wants $50 to replace it. Had the camera for about 2.5 yearsand worked with no problems till now.
Anyone had this problem?
Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well my WheelWitness HD Pro has the "movie recovery" error message everytime i start the truck, talk to support and they said is the battery , after done som other testing. And then today i got a message on screen "battery low"
So i guess will try to open the dashcam apart when i have time to see what battery it has. WheelWitness wants $50 to replace it. Had the camera for about 2.5 yearsand worked with no problems till now.
Anyone had this problem?
Thanks,
That seems normal for a battery replacement after that time considering the harsh environment inside a hot/cold car. This is why capacitor based units are preferred by some.