When are you ordering your EV?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, let just 50 people get home about 6PM to their residential neighborhood of 200 houses and all plug in at the same time into their 200 AMP service to charge their EVs.....goes from brownout to blackout.
No different to everyone starting their AC at the same time when they go home. A lot of people seem to say the grid can't handle it and then look at fast DC chargers doing 350kw and assume everyone will do that at home eventually

Get home and plug your car in and charge at L1 speeds, and you'll still leave with a full charge, and that's usually only charging at a measly 12a @ 120v. Leave the super fast charging to when you are out and about and need a quick charge

Personally I don't buy into the idea we don't have the infrastructure

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Feb 2021 sold my 2020 Acura RDX and picked up a Tesla Y. Best move I've made in years. Hated the Acura and love the Tesla.

OK let the flames rip!

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a deposit on a Rivian R1S to replace my Tahoe. (I have 3 kids and a 4th on the way so i need a 3-row)

Going from 16 mpg of premium fuel to zero cost of fuel (free charger at work) will be nice. The 0-60 in ~3 seconds in an SUV is cool too.

Now all we need is a supply chain so they can get to manufacturing them.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Feb 2021 sold my 2020 Acura RDX and picked up a Tesla Y. Best move I've made in years. Hated the Acura and love the Tesla.

OK let the flames rip!
Why did you hate the RDX?

I sold the Prius plug-in a while back because I didn't need so many cars. It was a fantastic car even though gutless because it had a crazy amount of useful space in the hatch, and I installed a hitch so I could tow a trailer, my jetski, or bicycles. I was getting about 70 MPG because the first 13 miles were EV...

I was torn on keeping the Prius or my Acura TSX, but decided to keep the TSX. Love that car. The 6 speed manual is pure joy to shift, and the car loves to corner. Figured I'd keep it since that's the last manual car I have. Will teach the kids how to drive stick just to torture them, I suppose.

Now with a family of 4, I'm thinking the next vehicle should seat at least 6. The Y is on my radar for this reason, but so too is the Pacifica plug-in. I'm more of a utility-minded person when it comes to cagers. Sportbikes are for having fun.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And you can make Biden a happy man when you buy an electric car.

I love my F150 with 36 gallon tank and 3.5 eco boost. At 19mpg, I can go for ever, and like said above, I keep enough to go quite a ways.
Although, a small diesel pc/car would be nice. It's easier to store diesel, and more BTU per gallon.
Wonder about a VW or ranger pickup with a 50 gallon tank in the back?
I really like mine too. I was concerned with the cam phaser issue/cold start rattle, but it's supposedly fixed. And I like it says I can go 630 miles when I fill the 36 gallon tank up.
I'm glad I bought it in 2020. I can't imagine what it would cost me now... I think it's appreciated something like $10k.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No different to everyone starting their AC at the same time when they go home.
But don't forget they're still starting up that A/C as well...no one will forgo that in lieu of the EV charge.
Get home and plug your car in and charge at L1 speeds, and you'll still leave with a full charge, and that's usually only charging at a measly 12a @ 120v. Leave the super fast charging to when you are out and about and need a quick charge
And how many do you think, other than yourself of course, will forgo that fast 32 Amp charge and opt for the 12A trickle?
You could be right, but I'm skeptical....not all of the U.S is as well developed grid-wise as TX and most metro areas, especially the rural areas. Let's make it a point to revisit this issue in about a year! :cool:

Reaction score
Several times a year, mostly in summer, ERCOT asks everyone to cut down on how much electricity they are using, hoping to avoid brownouts. This is usually in times of extra hot/humid weather, but sometimes in the winter during much lower than normal temps. Now add several million EV's charging at homes. Some places will be fine. Other places will have issues.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Several times a year, mostly in summer, ERCOT asks everyone to cut down on how much electricity they are using, hoping to avoid brownouts. This is usually in times of extra hot/humid weather, but sometimes in the winter during much lower than normal temps. Now add several million EV's charging at homes. Some places will be fine. Other places will have issues.
Most places if not all places will have issues. It will take a very low percentage shift of vehicles to electric to bring our grid down without a massive upgrade to our infrastructure. New power plants, larger transmission lines, larger transformers, etc. will be required to support it, and as far as I can tell, none of this work is being done.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think internal combustion vehicles are not going away any time soon, but the cost of running them is going to become less and less favorable compared to an EV. I'm not saying that electric vehicles are going to get cheaper to buy or to operate. Just the opposite. I figure the electricity price isn't going anywhere but up because demand is growing and costs of generating and distributing it are growing too. But I expect gas prices are going to rise a lot more over the long term (governments will make sure of it) until a point where it just doesn't make financial sense to drive with it when EVs are an option. There are already situations where EVs are a more economical option, but people have trouble buying them because they can't be built fast enough.

I also think that, barring a miraculous advancement in battery technology, a lot of people are going to have to learn to settle for shorter range vehicles and public transportation. :(

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When my Dad was alive, he bought a 2000 Prius new. We sat down and calculated it out, what the inflated price was he paid for the hybrid vs what he could have bought a normal Toyota economy passenger car for. We finally calculated it out, he would break even at 100k miles for the extra cost and fuel savings. The car never made it to 100k. The inverter took a shit at 60k, he paid out of pocket to get that fixed at around $5000.00 and the batteries took a shit around 75k and it was going to cost more to have the batteries replaced than what the car was even worth. We ended up scraping it out for $500.00.
Whenever I do my math, I get the same. For my driving I don't want to pay 20k extra to have a 10+ year ROI. I'll drive my current car into the ground and see what my options are in 5-10 more years I suppose.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
And........GM just slashed the price for their powerfully explosive, 2023 Chevy Bolt EV. Don't worry, they will make up for it when you buy the new EV Silverado at $125k......Maybe the over inflated price will give some assurances that this vehicle won't burn your house down.......:rofl:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
They’re already floating a mileage tax.
I already pay a "Mileage tax". Every damn time I fill up at the pump. Double taxation, anyone? I think they were going to tax the EV owners a big whopping tax, as they don't buy gasoline and pay taxes on their fuel. Brandon is looking to squeeze every last drop of blood out of every turnip.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think internal combustion vehicles are not going away any time soon, but the cost of running them is going to become less and less favorable compared to an EV. I'm not saying that electric vehicles are going to get cheaper to buy or to operate. Just the opposite. I figure the electricity price isn't going anywhere but up because demand is growing and costs of generating and distributing it are growing too. But I expect gas prices are going to rise a lot more over the long term (governments will make sure of it) until a point where it just doesn't make financial sense to drive with it when EVs are an option. There are already situations where EVs are a more economical option, but people have trouble buying them because they can't be built fast enough.

I also think that, barring a miraculous advancement in battery technology, a lot of people are going to have to learn to settle for shorter range vehicles and public transportation. :(
Technology doesn't get more expensive over time, generally speaking, which is why battery cost has been trending downwards.

Increasing electricity consumption should also drive the price down, not up, especially if we can successfully shift the bulk of charging to off peak hours. It's peak consumption which is costly, not baseload. The closer baseload and peak consumption are, the more affordable the electricity is. Think about it this way; if we have to build a billion dollar power plant so that there's enough electricity for 1 day out of the year for 4 hours where electricity demand peaks, then that is a very costly 4 hours. Things are cheaper if they get utilized continuously rather than infrequently because the cost is amortized over a longer period of utilization.

As a tangent, that's precisely why solar and wind cause the cost of dispatchable (variable with demand) electricity to cost more. A natural gas plant that was built with the expectation of delivering 1,000 GWh per year has a certain cost per unit energy delivered. If solar production causes that plant to only deliver 500 GWh per year, the fixed costs of constructing and maintaining that plant are spread over less delivered energy. Solar makes the cost of electricity go up because both the solar and the gas infrastructure must exist, yet gas must "bow out" whenever solar happens to be producing.

Public transportation is dead, it just doesn't know it yet. It's not affordable, because usually less than half the cost is covered by the fare, meaning local taxes cover a substantial amount of it. It's generally not environmentally friendly, because they are rarely operated at near capacity. It takes something like 15 people on a bus to be as fuel efficient per passenger mile as a single person in a Prius. 2 people in a Prius is as fuel efficient as a fully loaded bus. 3 people in a Prius exceeds the passenger mile efficiency of city buses. Finally, and this is probably most important, public transportation takes you from where you don't live, to not quite where you need to be. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Reaction score
When am I getting a EV? Not for a very long time. My truck and wife's small suv are almost paid for, and my kids are hitting middle school and high school. Need the 'car payments' for other things. Maybe after one graduates HS and the market has calmed down, WE MIGHT consider getting one...MIGHT. But the price better be damn good.

I have nothing against electric...I just have EVERYTHING AGAINST THIS POS ACTING LIKE HE IS THE POTUS TRYING TO BANKRUPT AMERICANS INTO BUYING ONE.