When is Blue Iris program active?

crabbydan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the demo version running on my lap top and am using 2 cameras. A WIFI Amcrest 3MP IP and a CCTV 5mp FROM gw. I am loving what I can do with this program and cameras so far. But I have one question I can't find the answer to. Will my blue iris software record trigger points while the laptop is sleeping also will it capture trigger motion when the program is not open. In other words if I close the program while I am doing something else will it not trigger motion and record. Seems when I wake up in the morning the amcrest camera sends me push notifications that blue iris does not. I am thinking I have to have blue iris running in the back ground?

Can anyone confirm this?

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
You'll need to keep your computer running 24/7. How can it monitor anything if it is asleep?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
right. BI is intended for machines running 24/7. otherwise, what's the point?...

that said, you can set up BI to run as a service (so it starts up at boot-time without requiring a login), and
you don't have to have the console running for it to be monitoring cams & recording. but the PC does
need to be on and not asleep...

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Adding further to the above two points, laptops aren't very efficient so your best bet is to purchase a dedicated machine if you plan on running the system 24/7. if you're patient you can find a great i5 4690 Elitedesk or OptiPlex for less then $300, some with a 3 year warranty and free shipping.

crabbydan

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I thought. My laptop is fine for my set up and testing so when I get my wires ran to the outside and cameras up outside I will look into another means other than my laptop. Thank you all for the quick responses.