Where are snapshots stored? (Dahua NVR)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

I've scoured the manual, and checked many configuration screens. To no avail!

After an Alarm, where does the NVR stash snapshots?

In the "Event", "Alarm" configuration screens, you can enable "snapshot" or "email" or both. Inferring you can take snapshots and not email them.

Where in the NVR are the snaps?

Thanks!
Fastb

PS: I normally have snapshots attached to an email and sent to my cell phone. Some snapshot emails don't reach me. As part of troubleshooting, I'd like to confirm the snapshot was indeed taken (after the alarm tripped)

PPS: I have one HDD installed, and a USB thumb drive inserted.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try File List on PlayBack tab on WebUI or Event under Playback in SmartPSS?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr,

Thanks, as always, for the reply!

In Smart PSS, it says "there are no pictures":

smart pss.jpg

In the NVR webUI, the File List doesn't show any snapshots. It shows Alarms (A), and Record? (R). This is where I've seen Motion (M) and Face Recognition (F). But I've never seen pictures denoted (P?)

webui.jpg

Under with webUI, Playback screen, if I try to download pictures, I find many pages of pictures taken 1 second apart, camera-by-camera. Totally unrelated to Alarms. If I try to download the pic, I get an error:

jpeg.jpg

I'm not sure what my problem is;
- maybe I didn't configure/partition the HDD to for recording and snapshots?
- maybe I didn't provide an NVR pathname to the USB drive?
- maybe the snapshots are indeed getting stored, and I just can't find them?

Puzzled,
Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Nayr,

Yes, by default, the schedule requires the user to define the time window.
I did enable all sorts of recording, such motion, IVS, etc. More than I need, currently. But that's not likely the root cause...

Here's my schedule..... Everything enabled, 24/7

snap sched.jpg

If "Scheduling" is the primary suspect, consider this: Emails contain snaps, ie: the schedule supported the snapshot.
So snaps were taken, and put into into emails. And sent my phone. Some snaps don't reach me.
I'm troubleshooting that..... ie:
- was the snapshot not taken?
- was the email with snapshot rejected by the email server?

I thought I fixed the "Lost Snapshot Email" problem yesterday. I changed the "interval" setting in the "Network", "Email" screen. Interval was changed from 5 secs to 10 secs, thinking I wouldn't overload the Gmail email server. It seemed to work. But today, I'm still losing some snapshot emails.

Options:
1) I could continue trying to confirm the alarm snapshots were taken by the NVR. (if I could find them!)
2) I could just switch from Gmail to some other email server, assuming snaps were taken, and it was the email that got lost/rejected.
. 2.1) Other posters here have ditched Gmail, and problems with lost emails and truncated pics went away. However, I have gmail filters set up, and have snaps going to my wife. So changing that "apple-cart" would take a little work.....

Fastb

Last edited by a moderator:

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my Dahua NVR DH-NVR4208-8P-4K and I'm playing with motion detection, alerts ... I activated emails (smtp.gmail.com on port 587, encryption TLS, activated attachment check box) but I don't receive snapshots attached with the emails. I receive emails but without attachements.
Any idea ?

Fab

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I answer myself ... in fact I needed to go in Storage > Snapshot and change from Continuous to Motion
No I get one snapshot attached to my emails. Wonderful NVR !
I also changed smtp to port 465 (but not sure it changes anything).

akoei

n3wb
Reaction score
Fastb, do you figure out where the snapshots are stored? Most of time the snapshots I got from email are like the attached, I'd like to check snapshot file location to see if the bottom part missing happened before the snapshot is stored or after.

Attachments

akoei

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my Dahua NVR DH-NVR4208-8P-4K and I'm playing with motion detection, alerts ... I activated emails (smtp.gmail.com on port 587, encryption TLS, activated attachment check box) but I don't receive snapshots attached with the emails. I receive emails but without attachements.
Any idea ?

Fab
Fab, I have almost exact same model as you: 4208-8p-4k-2t, but see attached screenshot, I can't change snapshot size. I am wondering do you have same issue?

I figured it out myself, just post it here in case someone has same confuse:
the value is corresponding with main stream resolution. In my case, my main stream record resolution is 3M, so the snapshot is also 3M

Attachments

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
akoei,
No, I didn't pursue that to the end.
I now use gDMSS Plus, which uses "push" to send me notification, dependably, in 5 seconds from the event. The notification includes a short viddeo clip. So emailed snapshots dropped in importance.
Fastb

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
akoei,
No, I didn't pursue that to the end.
I now use gDMSS Plus, which uses "push" to send me notification, dependably, in 5 seconds from the event. The notification includes a short video clip. So emailed snapshots dropped in importance.
Fastb
Fastb - on the gDMSS Plus that I got working yesterday, it works at home when I activate wireless on my MotoG phone. Have it set up with NVR IP address 192.168.1.108 and NVR username & password. Doesn't work when I disable wireless on the phone, and operate phone solely on 3G/4G (cell internet). Should the IP settings be the DNS host/domain name (no-ip one) and the no-ip username and password? Basic manuals don't explain it..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Bryan,
I'm not clear what isn't working.
Push notifications should go out, regardless of NVR user name p/w, or whatever your ip name or addr is.
Surfing in to view live video is different. That will require the gDMSS to have ip name or addr, nvr u/s + p/w.

Should the IP settings be the DNS host/domain name (no-ip one) and the no-ip username and password?
That method isn't how I went about it, so can't comment. Here's how I did it;
I went to "whats my ip" web page to learn what my external ip addr was, when looking in from the internet. Then I pointed gDMSS Plus to that ip addr x.x.x.x
I'm not sure if port forwarding is required. The port number wasn't accepted by gDMSS.

Fastb

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fastb - on the gDMSS Plus that I got working yesterday, it works at home when I activate wireless on my MotoG phone. Have it set up with NVR IP address 192.168.1.108 and NVR username & password. Doesn't work when I disable wireless on the phone, and operate phone solely on 3G/4G (cell internet). Should the IP settings be the DNS host/domain name (no-ip one) and the no-ip username and password? Basic manuals don't explain it..
You're going to have to forward the ports and to connect from outside your network you'll use your cable modems ip.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finally got gDMSS working on my 3G/4G cell network... Had the wrong address at first xxx.hopto.net instead of .org. I changed it to my Public WAN address that always comes up on the port checkers, with the port at 37777. It hasn't changed in the last 2 months anyway. Then entered the user name and password of the NVR. Boom, it worked.. Now to set up push notifications. Thanks for the help...struggling thru the mud..all this is new.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Push is working, sends short videos and pics. Beats Vtext. Only used 100 MB on the 3G/4G network so far testing it out. Have the streams on the NVR set to 720 P while I'm testing.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Bryan,
Glad push is working now.
Only used 100 MB on the 3G/4G network
Is your camera system's broadband connection via cell network?
Or do you instead mean your remote viewing on cell phone only consumed 100MB of your cell phone data plan?
(ie: does remote viewing on an internet connected laptop consume 3G/4G data?)

Have the streams on the NVR set to 720 P while I'm testing.
Main stream is going to the hard drive in the NVR. maybe 1080p or better.
Sub stream is for gDMSS. And so substream is set to 720p. Even lower is fine for viewing on the small android screen.
Does that describe your settings?

Q: the short videos received in gDMSS - how is their playback speed? In my case, the videos play very, very slowly. They use to play near full speed. I don't know what happened, and haven't investigated yet....

Fastb

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NVR camera system is hooked only to my home internet router. Yep - Remote viewing only used 100 MB of cell phone plan. I shut the internet (wireless) down on my phone while at home to make sure it went thru the cell 3G/4G plan. Videos do fine on the phone. On the gDMSS app "Device Manager" - NVR - pencil icon - on bottom of menu there is some Live Preview & Playback bars - choice of main or extra. Think the "extra" is the substream. Got both preview & playback on Extra..

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other thing I'm finding out, once I shut the NVR down, you can' t even play the OLD alarm videos on the phone that I've already seen. Reckon it stores them on the NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why do you shut down the NVR? but your correct; your phone stores nada

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Bryan,
For sake of download speed via cellular, I chose substream. The video clips are downloaded when I play them. So for the small screen, I figured I'd accept the lower resolution substream, thinking my little android screen would show the full glory of HD video. Plus, I wanted snappiness, to quickly play several videos. All while knowing that "remote" viewing of clips was not the viewing experience of when I got home and viewed the main stream.

Remote viewing goals for me were snappy, view multiple clips, maybe go into playback, etc. If something is happening at my home, I want to view quickly, even if that means viewing in lower resolution.

Just my 2 cents....

Fastb