where are you guys finding i7-6700 Dells under 500?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman: thank you very much for the feedback. That is what I assumed... I'm just trying to bargain hunt one of these as I'm looking at rolling out a complete 8x camera, POE switch, firewall (pfsense to a lower power machine), and BI server project. It's been a while since I dropped serious coin on all of these and I know the wife is going to freak on me. Hence why I would love to find one of these HP's under $400 ;)

I'm new the forum, but I really appreciate your participation as I've been lurking for about a week to educate myself on all the changes that have occurred since I setup my last system. It's folks like you who are constantly active and providing feedback and time that make these kinds of forums so incredible. So... Thank you from a lurker who is able to digest all this information like a sponge.
If your cams are going to be 1080p you really dont need more than an i5-6500

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's the route I went. I checked the site daily for 2 weeks and finally found an 3040 SFF i7-6700 for $415 shipped.
Cool. Hope you talked/chatted with a rep. They can give you 10% off if you talk/chat to a rep.

Edit: Also, these guys don't tag the configuration specs very well. That's why the filtering never works. I always wonder how many great deals have I lost to poorly tagged store products

Last edited:

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool. Hope you talked/chatted with a rep. They can give you 10% off if you talk/chat to a rep.

Edit: Also, these guys don't tag the configuration specs very well. That's why the filtering never works. I always wonder how many great deals have I lost to poorly tagged store products
Damn, I did not know that. I thought I was lucky getting 10% off for the Presidents Day sale.... another 10% would be a smoking deal!!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link and the tip on calling for additional 10%. Just purchased the PC for $368.10 shipped from Dell.

It was $409 which is awesome but they did in fact take the 10 off on the phone.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link and the tip on calling for additional 10%. Just purchased the PC for $368.10 shipped from Dell.

It was $409 which is awesome but they did in fact take the 10 off on the phone.

Thanks!
What did you guys chat with the Dell rep about in order to receive 10% off?

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What did you guys chat with the Dell rep about in order to receive 10% off?
Tell them that you can get the marked price without their help. Ask them what can they do for you. They'll offer 5% and you say no, you want 10%. They'll say they can't do that and you keep pushing until they say they gotta talk to their manager. They may want to add a service item to your order and you may want to add that to make the rep happy :)

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My rep was pretty cool. I said that I heard (from cornholio;)) he could take 10% off and he just said let me check with my manager. Came back and said no problem.
Ended up being $368.10. Nice little machine for this use.

Reaction score
My rep was pretty cool. I said that I heard (from cornholio;)) he could take 10% off and he just said let me check with my manager. Came back and said no problem.
Ended up being $368.10. Nice little machine for this use.
I did the same thing after reading this thread. I went with a i7 7040 optiplex mini tower and told them they can do 10 percent off. Held for a few minutes and then they came back with how you going to pay lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nashvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you guys converting the is drives over to SSD and adding WD purple drives? How many SATA ports and extra drive slots are these $500 machines coming with? Almost just thinking about building. Just wish these systems came with a SSD to start with

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys converting the is drives over to SSD and adding WD purple drives? How many SATA ports and extra drive slots are these $500 machines coming with? Almost just thinking about building. Just wish these systems came with a SSD to start with
varies by model...
the dells have one 3.5 slot even in the tower...
The hp elitedesk tower has 2x 3.5 slots and 1x2.5 slot...

Reaction score
I got the mini tower has one 3.5 open - I will be adding a WD purple in. Replacing the one that came with a ssd.

You can get one with a ssd already install and more memory but ofcoarse the price goes up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the mini tower has one 3.5 open - I will be adding a WD purple in. Replacing the one that came with a ssd.

You can get one with a ssd already install and more memory but ofcoarse the price goes up.

if your system had as an ssd, leave it, and just add the purple..

Reaction score
if your system had as an ssd, leave it, and just add the purple..
No mines came with the standard hard drive. I have to add a SSD. The standard one will be replaced with a PURPLE.

Dell Optiplex 7040 I7 6700 Mini tower
500GB Hard drive
8 Memory
$508 with the 10 percent off.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually on my 7040 I have to remove the optical drive and use the slot (and SATA) for the ssd.
@looney2ns sent me pics of how he did his. Pretty straight forward. Only downside of these little machines is no additional space for another HD.
But for this purpose you can't beat 'em. Granted the HP has more space for drives but I like the small form factor of this Dell as it should be easier to hide.
For the price with a 3 year next day warranty- can't be beat. Of course the HP offers the same warranty and their service is first rate.

I thought about building but you can't buy the cpu and a Windows 10 Pro license for what I paid. And if your custom build machine fails, you're kinda SOL for support in a timely fashion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually on my 7040 I have to remove the optical drive and use the slot (and SATA) for the ssd.
@looney2ns sent me pics of how he did his. Pretty straight forward. Only downside of these little machines is no additional space for another HD.
But for this purpose you can't beat 'em. Granted the HP has more space for drives but I like the small form factor of this Dell as it should be easier to hide.
For the price with a 3 year next day warranty- can't be beat. Of course the HP offers the same warranty and their service is first rate.

I thought about building but you can't buy the cpu and a Windows 10 Pro license for what I paid. And if your custom build machine fails, you're kinda SOL for support in a timely fashion.
Thats because you have a small ff..not the mini tower like he does...
also note that the 7040 SFF supports m.2 size ssd's so you dont even have to remove the optical drive....

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thats because you have a small ff..not the mini tower like he does...
also note that the 7040 SFF supports m.2 size ssd's so you dont even have to remove the optical drive....
Thanks for clarification. Although now I'm jealous!