Where did my Dahua NVR GUI access go?

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi again all. I'm still yet to get about to undertaking a full reset as per Catcamstar's suggestions. In the meantime however, for my own learning (the curve can be rather steep!), I'm still a bit confused about the whole IP address thing.

The situation:

• I can see that my NVR is still working as I can see cam's on iMDSS.
  • I cannot log into the NVR's GUI like I used to. Originally, on my old Asus router, the address was 192.168.2.4. The new router assigns numbers between 192.168.50.2 and 192.168.50.253.
  • With the new router, I am able to see the NVR on the client list. I can see that its IP is 192.168.50.175, however I cannot access the GUI when I type this into a browser (tried Firefox, Explorer and Safari). It just times out.
  • I tried allocating a static IP (tried 192.168.50.175, as well as 192.168.50.2), but no change. Still can't log in.
  • I tried powercycling the NVR

I will soon unplug the NVR, plug in a keyboard and mouse and monitor, do a factory reset, and start from scratch. I'm getting better at the setting up so that should be ok once I'm back in to the GUI.

My Question:
- how is it that my router can "see" the NVR, and it's allocated a definite IP, but typing that IP into a browser doesn't work? This is the bit I'm trying to understand, so that I can further my understanding of my home network setup.

Thanks all!
Mat

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the IP of the computer you are using that you try to reach the NVR on?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The first problem you seem to have is a networking one. Factory defaulting the NVR wont likely fix that.

Using a mouse and monitor connect directly to the NVR, login, and discover the network information.
Take a screencap of the router page showing what you beleive is the NVR assignment IP and post it here.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Here’s a few screenshots. The “test” function is coming up “connection failed”....
My Asus router has a LAN address at 192.168.50.1

Attachments

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect this is all to do with when I got my new router (upgraded from older Asus to new one). All my addresses changed from (more familiar) 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.50.xxx......
Given I might also have some dodgy setups from my 1st initial setup, should I start over?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Very odd. It should work. I would turn off DHCP on the NVR, looks to be on...

Can you still see your cameras via IDMSS?

Then reboot router and NVR once and check again.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah DHCP had been off. I had assigned 192.168.50.2 as a static address for the NVR, so I thought I'd try removing that and see what happens.
Yes, I can still see the cam's via IDMSS when they're all plugged in. Weird indeed....

So what settings should I insert when I try turning off DHCP on the NVR?
Preferred DNS: ? I've tried 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS: ? I've tried 8.8.4.4
Default Card: only offers "NIC1"

The router (its address being 192.168.50.1) has DHCP Server enabled, With IP pool starting at 192.168.50.2 and ending at 192.168.50.254

All I get on the NVR is "connection failed. Please check the settings of IP address and gateway, and network cable connection". I don't recall getting any of this the very first time I ran through the setup. On the router GUI, on the "Network Map", the NVR is still there under 192.168.50.2 (static address), but nothing happens when type this number into the search bar on any computer. aaaah.

Try factory reset and start agin? Other suggestions?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Those all seem right.

NVR
Static using the .2 address
Those DNS are fine

Have you tried the net analyzer app on iPhone? I’m beginning to wonder if what you’re seeing on the router as being your NVR is really available on the network.

It’s a simple app, install, make sure your phone is connected to wifi, hit scan. It will list all devices it sees in the network

Is your NVR hard wired directly to the router?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And you say you can still reach your cameras via iPhone, iDMSS. What are the network login settings on that? Post a snapshot of that

Like this

380509B1-93AB-41E1-9A05-2786C7F593F3.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure the NVR is not using P2P as suggested by someone?

P2P should be disabled
P2P NVR4.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That would explain a lot. Im not networking guru, but me thinks if you have that set to P2P its ignoring the other routing.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That would explain a lot. Im not networking guru, but me thinks if you have that set to P2P its ignoring the other routing.
I reckon it may well be time to start from scratch with a factory reset and set it up properly again. At least I know how to do the cams and their special functions now. Otherwise I fear I’m gonna keep hitting these weird snags as I go.

On that note, I have read here that I should enable a VPN function on my router for the cam setup. I’ve never done this, but my router has this option. Before I tackle a reset, can someone please point me to how to ideally do it all?

Thanks for all this help! Mat

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t attempt the vpn thing until youve sorted out the NVR. There’s nothing you do differently on it to use a VPN

This isn’t hard you just left out important information. Did you uncheck the P2P box on the NVR, Save, and reboot?

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roger that. The thing is that I don’t recall ever turning on the P2P. I must’ve done something silly whilst on the initial learning curve. I’ll try the suggested as soon as I get a chance (it’s a pain unplugging it all to dig out of cupboard, plug in a monitor and mouse, etc. should get a chance after work tomorrow....

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok update time.
I ended up factory resetting the NVR. I suspect the primary issue - not being able to access the NVR at all (even though it seemed to be running) - was that my old router assigned IP’s between 192.168.1.1 and .253, whereas my NEW router uses 192.168.50.1....
So when I reset the NVR I assigned it 192.168.50.2, and set the gateway as 192.168.50.1 (the router’s address).

So that has worked, and I can now log in. I note my cams are all still there, but I think I’ll start again and factory reset them too, just to be sure there’s no hidden p2p or other junk going on.

One problem is that I don’t seem to be able to review old footage now. Either is actually wasn’t recorded since my new router, of I’m missing something?

Also, could someone point me to how to factory reset, then re-initialise the cams? I assume I do it by looking into them directly from the NVR’s GUI by going to “cameras”, then clicking on the little blue swirly icon?

Thanks gang!
Mat

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok update time.

One problem is that I don’t seem to be able to review old footage now. Either is actually wasn’t recorded since my new router, of I’m missing something?

Also, could someone point me to how to factory reset, then re-initialise the cams? I assume I do it by looking into them directly from the NVR’s GUI by going to “cameras”, then clicking on the little blue swirly icon?

Thanks gang!
Mat

The footage if recorded would be on the hard drive so maybe you werent recording...?

I dont think you need to default the cameras IMHO. Just login to each and verify P2P is turned off. They will assume (and sounds like they already have) the proper network configuration from the NVR.

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The footage if recorded would be on the hard drive so maybe you werent recording...?

I dont think you need to default the cameras IMHO. Just login to each and verify P2P is turned off. They will assume (and sounds like they already have) the proper network configuration from the NVR.
No worries. I’ll do that and see what happens! Bloody annoying as someone asked me if I’d seen anyone steal a bag off her bike the other day, and I don’t seem to be able to access the footage. It should have been recording, as the cam’s functions such as light coming on if tripped after hours and voice playing “private property” still worked......hmmmmm