Where to position front door cam?

Dreamscape

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all
I've been working on mapping out the positions where I will be mounting my cameras. I was suggested a 2MP IPC-E3241F-M-AS mini dome camera for this. Are there other cameras you would suggest for this purpose?

Additionally, where would you suggest positioning it around the door frame? The whole blotch is where my house numbers are so I can't really put it there, and I don't know where to out cameras in relation to lights.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depending on which cable route would be the least difficult, I would try to put it on the right or left side of your door at a height of about 5'. Since you have a narrow approach, I would also consider turning the lens vertically. I wanted a wider view, so I have mine set horizontally. The only issues I have with a mini dome camera is that that lens cover has darkened some from being in the direct sunlight during the late afternoons and there is a small amount of reflections from exterior lighting as shown in the picture.

Attachments

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
In a pinch you can install one of several door bell cameras. This could be layered by a real IP camera of your choice which depends upon your ability to run Ethernet cabling.

As an aside I had a small project tasked by a friend where they purchased camera lights. The quality wasn’t very good and also WiFi.

So installed two ATM bullet style cameras in their place. Which provided higher reliability in terms of connectivity and overall low light performance.

Dreamscape

n3wb
Reaction score
Depending on which cable route would be the least difficult, I would try to put it on the right or left side of your door at a height of about 5'. Since you have a narrow approach, I would also consider turning the lens vertically. I wanted a wider view, so I have mine set horizontally. The only issues I have with a mini dome camera is that that lens cover has darkened some from being in the direct sunlight during the late afternoons and there is a small amount of reflections from exterior lighting as shown in the picture.
Thanks for the info! I had been thinking something similar, head level on one side of the door. I just wasn't sure how the exterior lights would impact the camera or if it needed to be above/below them for some reason. In another thread I had created someone suggested notching the vinyl siding and running the ethernet cable Behind the siding to a corner of the house, then up into the soffit. The corner is around 25 feet away. I'd like to try to make that work but I'm not sure if it will or not.

I like the idea of vertically orienting it because this will really just be covering the door, I'll position other cams to cover other areas. Thanks for the input and pictures as examples.

Dreamscape

n3wb
Reaction score
In a pinch you can install one of several door bell cameras. This could be layered by a real IP camera of your choice which depends upon your ability to run Ethernet cabling.

As an aside I had a small project tasked by a friend where they purchased camera lights. The quality wasn’t very good and also WiFi.

So installed two ATM bullet style cameras in their place. Which provided higher reliability in terms of connectivity and overall low light performance.
I have though about a doorbell cam, but would like to stay away from Wi-Fi based cameras and keep them all hardwired. Also, even if ended up using a PoE doorbell cam, I feel like I may has we'll use a full PoE mini dome like the one in my op. But it's certainly an option I'm still considering, they are pretty slick ... Thanks!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have though about a doorbell cam, but would like to stay away from Wi-Fi based cameras and keep them all hardwired. Also, even if ended up using a PoE doorbell cam, I feel like I may has we'll use a full PoE mini dome like the one in my op. But it's certainly an option I'm still considering, they are pretty slick ... Thanks!
For most people a doorbell already exists and 100% of the time is at the required level / height to get that money shot of a face. I agree even with a solid wireless network in the home. Many of the WiFi enabled doorbell just really suck.

So absolutely agree with a hardwired approach as it simply just works!

This is simply an easy option to have more coverage and layering for the video security system. I’m really not a fan of the whole fish eye view that all of the doorbell cams offer. So using a standard IP camera does offer better viewing when needed.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all
I've been working on mapping out the positions where I will be mounting my cameras. I was suggested a 2MP IPC-E3241F-M-AS mini dome camera for this. Are there other cameras you would suggest for this purpose?

Additionally, where would you suggest positioning it around the door frame? The whole blotch is where my house numbers are so I can't really put it there, and I don't know where to out cameras in relation to lights.

Thanks for the help!
I'd try to put it just below the address numbers (above the doorbell button). just above the address numbers could work too, but might have more interference from the closer light at night...

Attachments

Reaction score
Place the camera above the door or window frame, facing downward so that it covers the area a few feet in front of the opening. Another option would be to put the camera inside the home, on the window seal of easily accessible windows, so it has a view of the yard in front of the window.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
then again, with everyone wearing masks these days, perhaps the top of the head is more identifiable/recognizable... :)