Which brand would you look at if you need IP-stream-only camera

ring0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there.

So I figured that hikvision and dahua are the industry leaders in CCTV, although my wild guess is that their price per unit is (often) high because each camera has gazillion options, modes, AI, mobile phone apps, integrations with cloud, alarm, object recognition, 100 petabytes SD card and whatnot within itself (that is, in each and every unit).

What I'm looking after are IP cameras that just support poe and video feed stream (over some reliable protocol) and network configuration (preferably over some open API). I'd like to do all post-processing on my end after I capture the video feed.
At the same time I'd prefer that the manufacturer focuses (including price tag) on video quality and all those environment adjustments that affect the video quality (bad lighting, day/night, color balance, rain, fog, sharpness, lenses, idk, I'm just spitting out random words) instead of bloated (pro/con)sumer feature list.
Perhaps you know some specific manufacturer and/or series that focus on exactly that. The angle, range, type (bullet, panoramic) imo is a side issue.

Thanks!!

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you looking for a Digital Ip camera that uses a NVR or are you looking for an analog camera that uses a DVR? You said you were looking for an IP camera.

ring0

n3wb
Reaction score
Digital IP camera (over network, hence the PoE requirement). The NVR is on my side so the camera must not use any closed-source proprietary video stream/access protocol.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What brand of NVR? You;re best off buying the same brand of cameras to match the NVR. That said, if the NVR is ONVIF compliant most Hikvision and Dahua camera will interface with it but you will not have all the features of the camera available. Both Hik and Dahua are considered mid range cameras although both also offer professional level cameras. Cost is a relative thing, and you get what you pay for. Performance is the biggest factor and both perform well.

ring0

n3wb
Reaction score
What brand of NVR
It won't be a plug-and-play nvr from any of the camera manufacturers. Instead, it's going to be a self-managed general purpose server which, among other things, will be able to fetch video stream from an arbitrary video feed (security cameras including).

Cost is a relative thing, and you get what you pay for. Performance is the biggest factor and both perform well.
Sure thing. I just wanted to filter out brands/models that bump the price because they have to compensate themselves for all the time they've spent incorporating bloaty features into their cameras forgetting that a camera should, above all, provide a high quality video, not act as a webserver hosting websites with magnitude of options. Just my frank opinion.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe Andy's new software like in the new 4K-T can operate with out an NVR. Just add 12V PS and log in.
I think RTSP is there too.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you're re-inventing the wheel. Use Blue Iris on a PC and the brand of camera won't matter. As I said, Dahua and Hik cameras in the mid-range are good performers, both day and night. The run around $175-$225USD in the 4MP, 1/1.8" sensor, models. The 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensors run in the $250 range. They all provide RTSP are ONVIF compliant and do not need any cloud services. In fact many here, myself included, deliberately keep them from accessing the internet at all. You can check with Andy, a forum member, for prices.

IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

The current best bang for the buck models -

8MP Review

Dual Lens

180 Degree FOV 4K

5442 Reviews

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Andy's new software like in the new 4K-T can operate with out an NVR. Just add 12V PS and log in.
I think RTSP is there too.
All of Andy's cameras (well except for that pinhole covert camera) can operate without an NVR or other VMS system. Simply put an SD card in and then log in the camera GUI to see live and playback.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi there.

So I figured that hikvision and dahua are the industry leaders in CCTV, although my wild guess is that their price per unit is (often) high because each camera has gazillion options, modes, AI, mobile phone apps, integrations with cloud, alarm, object recognition, 100 petabytes SD card and whatnot within itself (that is, in each and every unit).

What I'm looking after are IP cameras that just support poe and video feed stream (over some reliable protocol) and network configuration (preferably over some open API). I'd like to do all post-processing on my end after I capture the video feed.
At the same time I'd prefer that the manufacturer focuses (including price tag) on video quality and all those environment adjustments that affect the video quality (bad lighting, day/night, color balance, rain, fog, sharpness, lenses, idk, I'm just spitting out random words) instead of bloated (pro/con)sumer feature list.
Perhaps you know some specific manufacturer and/or series that focus on exactly that. The angle, range, type (bullet, panoramic) imo is a side issue.

Thanks!!
I think you will find that everyone is looking for the best quality capture for the price. How they capture the footage is not really important. So the advice given in the wiki and other threads on this forum will be just as relevant for your situation as it is for anyone elses. Obviously you will need a camera that can stream over an RSTP feed. However 99.5% of IP cameras today can do that (at least the ones we recommend on this site), so again what you are looking for is not really unique. You'll want to stay away from the Ring, Nest, and other "consumer" grade cameras because they are generally proprietary and don't use RSTP, but we don't recommend those systems to anyone.