Which Bullet to buy?

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I'm too lazy or stupid to try and figure out which IP cam to buy. Roofers took out my cheap Amcrest IP2M-842E POE capability so I need a replacement. I almost bought a Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z, luckily I realized it was 2 year old technology and international before I ordered.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for around $110 or less? POE bullet, I don't necessarily need zoom or PZT, I don't use wifi, I like to use Amazon.These are images from the old cam.

Thanks

Cam1.20171019_035637_1.jpg Cam1.20171019_035637_3.jpg

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you decided for sure you want a bullet? The first cams I had were bullets and they were very prone to spider webs. I changed them to the turret style and rarely have spider web problems now.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't remember why I went with the bullet for this location. Maybe it was to get the cam slightly out from under the eaves. Maybe it was what was on sale.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang, looking back I bet you wish you removed them before the roofers started. Myself, I have great hindsight.

Anyway, those 2 images you posted didn't look so bad and if you were happy with those I'd replace in kind; they're $70 apiece on amazon right now.

I've installed a dozen Amcrest cams ( four IP2M-842E's, four -842W's, three IPM-721's) and 2 NVR's in the last 2 years and none have hiccupped once. Some are on Blue Iris, too. I hear lots of negatives about this re-branded Dahua on this forum but I personally have had good luck.

My only issue is that here in the woods with a brick house the spiders love the IR and string across the bullet style often and with ease and any brand of bullet cam would have that issue. The turret style has the IR away from the cam lens and mitigates that issue for the most part. Until my Amcrest cams crap out I may turn off the cam's IR and install a few IR floods strategically.

That being said, if I was doing a new install from scratch and piece by piece as my Amcrest cams die I'd go with several Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret cams (IPC-HDW5231R-Z).

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dang, looking back I bet you wish you removed them before the roofers started. Myself, I have great hindsight.

Anyway, those 2 images you posted didn't look so bad and if you were happy with those I'd replace in kind; they're $70 apiece on amazon right now.

I've installed a dozen Amcrest cams ( four IP2M-842E's, four -842W's, three IPM-721's) and 2 NVR's in the last 2 years and none have hiccupped once. Some are on Blue Iris, too. I hear lots of negatives about this re-branded Dahua on this forum but I personally have had good luck.
You know, that may be the answer. This cam has been OK for my needs and definitely in my budget. I think I'll get the black one.
Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony, since you use these Amcrests, can I ask where the reset wires are? The manual says the green and white wires but I can't find them.

I was thinking about getting one of these since it still works with 12vdc.
https://www.amazon.com/Xenocam-Active-Splitter-Ethernet-IEEE802-3at/dp/B072BLCD13/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508590541&sr=8-1&keywords=Xenocam+Active+PoE+Splitter+Power+Over+Ethernet+48V+to+12V+2A+for+IEEE802.3at+24Watt
I wonder if the 12dcv connector is correct (2.5x2.1).
I recall the reset pair being together next to the 'Y' for the RJ-45 and 12 VDC connector for the 842W (wireless version), don't recall on the 842E (POE version) which did not have a 12 VDC jack since it was POE onto the RJ-45. I guess there are variations of these, as I have noticed a similar discrepancy in other Amcrest manuals.

So you have a POE switch or an NVR with POE in the house?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I have a POE in my house. That's why I need to replace it. The POE quit working when the roofers smacked it or something (it was pointed down when I noticed it). I took the cam down and bench tested with a new CAT6, it will only work when plugged into 12v. Since it still works, I'll just have to repurpose it.
So you have a POE switch or an NVR with POE in the house?