Which Camera IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E or Loryta IPC-B5442E-Z4E 4MP?

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not new to IP cameras as I have a bunch of Amcrest cameras, but I am new to finding a camera thats going to be able to read plates and plates only as the rest of the view would be capture by another camera. Placement- Going to stick it on a tree about 10 feet high, the tree is about 10 feet from the road, I am looking at a distance of around 60 feet or so and an angle of around 20 degrees from the camera. I am looking for a decent camera under $300 or so and the 2 mentione seem to be very good choices. I do run blue iris, so any advice on a service to use with blue iris that will log the plates? I have done reading but after a while it all blurs together. I appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with the Z12E. We only need 2MP for LPR and we need the plate as big as possible.

@biggen here tried the Z4E around that distance and "downgraded" to the Z12E at about a similar distance.

@IReallyLikePizza2 here has a camera in a similar spot and I think would recommend the more zoom as well...

Plate Recognizer works with Blue Iris - if you have less than 2500 plate lookups a month it is free. It will log each plate into the Blue Iris Log file that you can then import into Excel and do searches and queries and stuff.

Many of us use OpenALPR, but it doesn't work with Blue Iris. And a member here created a utility that logs and stores the plates.

See this thread where @biggen talks about his LPR with the Z4E

Reaction score
Here is a cap from a T5442 Z4E at 56 feet and at full zoom of 32mm.

INTS.20200719_200043674_1.jpg
Here is a cap from the 5241 Z12E at about the same distance and angle. The lens setting is at 52mm.

LPR East 2021-03-11 08.44.24.504 AM.jpg

If you are considering LPR, see the following threads:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Z12E will do the job for sure, I'm doing the same as you on a tree at around 20 degrees, but at 110 feet not 60

Something to keep in mind, on a reboot these cameras will sometimes mess up the zoom and focus. And getting the focus correct across day and night is tough, for that reason I'd use DahuaSunriseSunset, you can set a specific zoom and focus for day, and then for night. Makes it super easy to dial it in!

Here are some day, night and then dusk shots. At dusk they looks so clear its almost fake looking

1615497194681.png

1615497231480.png

1615497285570.png

1615497296047.png

1007275899.jpg

1609027097929.png

Last edited:

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is certainly a question I had and even posted very recently. For reference Im about a 35-40 degree angle from the road, about 60-70ft distance and 10 ft above the road. Im attempting to hang a LPR on the outside of my garage facing an intersection/ outlet (to give you an idea of my setup.)

I had the 5442T (12mm) and although a great camera, It wasn't enough optical zoom and IR for me. I spent several days and several hours on here researching and playing with every setting I could. But I couldn't get very good readable images cause I had to rely on digital zoom after recording to get close enough. BTW, that 4mp doesnt do squat. Im not sure that 32mm would've been enough either.

I kept reading the 5241-Z12 is perfect for LPR but just didnt want a bulletcam so I was stuck trying to make other cams work. Finally I gave in and ordered the 5241-z12 and holy cow this thing is a massive beast. It honestly looks ridiculous hanging off my garage but let me tell you, I get all plates now. Its got zoom and IR for days. Originally bought the z12 for a different main street LPR but temporarily am using it on my outlet road while I wait for my 5242 with its 48mm lens. We will see if that can compare to this beast. Ive included some pictures for comparison. You'll be happy with the 5241

Attachments

Last edited:

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Z12E will do the job for sure, I'm doing the same as you on a tree at around 20 degrees, but at 110 feet not 60

Something to keep in mind, on a reboot these cameras will sometimes mess up the zoom and focus. And getting the focus correct across day and night is tough, for that reason I'd use DahuaSunriseSunset, you can set a specific zoom and focus for day, and then for night. Makes it super easy to dial it in!

Here are some day, night and then dusk shots. At dusk they looks so clear its almost fake looking

View attachment 84446

View attachment 84448

View attachment 84449

View attachment 84450

View attachment 84451

View attachment 84452
Thanks for the info, I will look into that, looks the Z12 is gonna be a good camera.

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is certainly a question I had and even posted very recently. For reference Im about a 35-40 degree angle from the road, about 60-70ft distance and 10 ft above the road. Im attempting to hang a LPR on the outside of my garage facing an intersection/ outlet (to give you an idea of my setup.)

I had the 5442T (12mm) and although a great camera, It wasn't enough optical zoom and IR for me. I spent several days and several hours on here researching and playing with every setting I could. But I couldn't get very good readable images cause I had to rely on digital zoom after recording to get close enough. BTW, that 4mp doesnt do squat. Im not sure that 32mm would've been enough either.

I kept reading the 5241-Z12 is perfect for LPR but just didnt want a bulletcam so I was stuck trying to make other cams work. Finally I gave in and ordered the 5241-z12 and holy cow this thing is a massive beast. It honestly looks ridiculous hanging off my garage but let me tell you, I get all plates now. Its got zoom and IR for days. Originally bought the z12 for a different main street LPR but temporarily am using it on my outlet road while I wait for my 5242 with its 48mm lens. We will see if that can compare to this beast. Ive included some pictures for comparison. You'll be happy with the 5241
The more I read the more excited I am to get this and get it up and running, looks like it will be a solid camera choice. There is so much info out there I appreciate first hand user info as it makes things so much easier to figure out, I will hopefully have this up and running tommorow so I can post a pic or 2.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yep, digital zoom on surveillance cams only works in the movies and TV!

The Z12E is an IR light cannon and that is needed as much as the zoom.

Paint the beast the color of your house and it will blend in.

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, digital zoom on surveillance cams only works in the movies and TV!

The Z12E is an IR light cannon and that is needed as much as the zoom.

Paint the beast the color of your house and it will blend in.
Yeah but if you just "enhance" then the digital zoom works fine

Lol I always think of this scene when talking about digital zoom. Crazy that even at 2mp, the 5241 does very very well when digitally zooming on on details.enhance.gif

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The more I read the more excited I am to get this and get it up and running, looks like it will be a solid camera choice. There is so much info out there I appreciate first hand user info as it makes things so much easier to figure out, I will hopefully have this up and running tommorow so I can post a pic or 2.
Yeah its a great camera dude. I am blown away with the performance difference compared to all my 8mp/4mp dome and turret cams I've used. Its worth the price and it ships quickly from Andy. Check out this dude doing a u-turn and me still getting a readable plate on an insanely stupid angle. Im sold.

Attachments

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After a quick and easy setup I placed this on my front steps just to get a look at it in the dark, color me impressed, great NV, clear picture and crazy amount of zoom. What’s everyone mounting this to? I bought a box off Amazon but the mounting holes are way off, was thinking of getting something from Home Depot and make up a mounting box.

I found the correct box, won’t be here till Sunday but I might make a temporary mount so I can play with it tomorrow night.

Last edited:

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick install and snapshot from blue iris, I still have some zoom left, if I turn the camera to the right and down it will bring the imagine closer to the tree, but I am not sure if the angle would matter. Ideas? Thanks again.

Attachments

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need way more zoom!

Angle looks great, great placement
Camera is on the tree on the far right, my initial goal was to caputre the vehicle between my driveway and my neighbors. This is more zoom, better? Zoomed out view of the roadway.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That zoom is better. Now to work on the focus! Need to have someone stop a car right in the center of the frame and hit autofocus.

You also need to figure out how you will deal with the nighttime focus issue - at a 1/2000 shutter the image will be completely black and you will need to either force the focus using the sunrise/sunset utility that a member here created or use the schedule in the camera (that sucks) and turn it to night and forced B/W either 45min to an hour before sunset or it will not focus all night.

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That zoom is better. Now to work on the focus! Need to have someone stop a car right in the center of the frame and hit autofocus.

You also need to figure out how you will deal with the nighttime focus issue - at a 1/2000 shutter the image will be completely black and you will need to either force the focus using the sunrise/sunset utility that a member here created or use the schedule in the camera (that sucks) and turn it to night and forced B/W either 45min to an hour before sunset or it will not focus all night.
Not sure if they fixed this issue with a new firmware, but I bought mine a few weeks ago and it shipped with this firmware version (V2.820.0000000.0.R, Build Date: 2020-11-14). Im able to set the focus mode on manual so it doesnt de-focus when switching to day/night. Also I have day/night on auto. I havent noticed any issues yet.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The firmware has nothing to do with it. The focus for color is different than the focus for B/W. If it is in color and switches to B/W, it will try to focus and will be blurry. Or you are lucky that the focus number for B/W is the same as the color focus number, but most of us they are two different numbers.

Do you have enough light that you can run a fast shutter and get plates at night?

Would love to see some night photos of that! It is rare any of us get color plates at night.