Which Camera is better - Lorex or Hikvison

Samuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please tell me which of these 2 cameras is the better camera.

I have the Hikvison NVR but don’t have the camera…however just bought the Lorex 8 camera NVR at a good price..but finding the quality to be poor at night!

Hikvision cameras cost more…but not sure if they are better then the Lorex

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hikvision is going to be the better camera. LOREX is Dahua but usually with cheaper sensors and less than ideal MP/sensor ratios.

Keep in mind the full color type cameras do not see infrared, so you either need enough light or be willing to use the built-in white LED.

But you want to match brand of NVR and camera to ensure full functionality.

LOREX is made by Dahua, so you want to get something made by Dahua. You would want the 5442 series and we recommend this one from our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Samuk

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hikvision is going to be the better camera. LOREX is Dahua but usually with cheaper sensors and less than ideal MP/sensor ratios.

Keep in mind the full color type cameras do not see infrared, so you either need enough light or be willing to use the built-in white LED.

But you want to match brand of NVR and camera to ensure full functionality.

LOREX is made by Dahua, so you want to get something made by Dahua. You would want the 5442 series and we recommend this one from our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY
Thanks - it was a kit I bought m, which I can send back in 30 days - 8 cameras & NvR for £600 seemed to be a good deal.

As I already have a Hikvison nvr, just thinking should I buy a single camera to check it, but again they are close to £220 each with the mounts.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have hikvision colorvu cameras and love them. I have enough lighting from a porch light and one scone light to give a great image at night without the use of the white light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the ColorVu or Dahua Full Color do well with light, but too many people buy them thinking they are magic and can see in pitch black and that is not the case. And then because they don't see infrared, they actually perform worse if the area doesn't have enough light.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please tell me which of these 2 cameras is the better camera.

I have the Hikvison NVR but don’t have the camera…however just bought the Lorex 8 camera NVR at a good price..but finding the quality to be poor at night!

Hikvision cameras cost more…but not sure if they are better then the Lorex

FYI -

Hikvision and Dahua ( which now owns the Lorex brand ) make tons of models ..

In general, either are good as long as you look for larger sensor model cameras .. Lorex brand recently mostly just smaller sensor models, so I'd try to get a Dahua OEM camera from our friend Andy here .. ( EmpireTecAndy ) if you want to go Dahua ( a lot of us have Dahua cameras )

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes the ColorVu or Dahua Full Color do well with light, but too many people buy them thinking they are magic and can see in pitch black and that is not the case. And then because they don't see infrared, they actually perform worse if the area doesn't have enough light.
I guess my expectations were different. I was amazed at how good of video I get with little ambient lighting. Lol
Works well with white light also but I prefer adding external light. You can’t see near as far in FOV with the use of the white light vs ambient light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess my expectations were different. I was amazed at how good of video I get with little ambient lighting. Lol
Works well with white light also but I prefer adding external light. You can’t see near as far in FOV with the use of the white light vs ambient light.
It also depends on if the camera is on default settings or not LOL. Yeah it looks like noon at midnight when on default settings with no ambient light, but motion is a blur LOL.

Once people dial in the settings to eliminate blur, only then does one know if they have enough light!

papadoc

n3wb
Reaction score
So which cameras would see in dark situations? I currently have 1st gen Nest cam, which is pretty decent with street lights and without night vision enabled, but still not great.

Samuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Also to add when I log into the lorex NVR via the browser the video quality is awful on the browser…

many reason for this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So which cameras would see in dark situations? I currently have 1st gen Nest cam, which is pretty decent with street lights and without night vision enabled, but still not great.
Almost anything will beat a Nest lol. But keep in mind consumer grade cameras will slow shutter way down and crank gain up to favor a bright static image, but then motion is a blur or ghost.

The cameras with the 1/1.2" sensor represent the current best color at night cameras. But any camera left on default settings will give a great static image, but it is motion we are concerned about. This is accomplished with faster shutter speed, but the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

If you have street lights and have some porch or house lights on, then these cameras are incredible.

But if you don't have enough light or refuse to run the cameras with the built-in white LED lights, then a camera with infrared is a better choice.

A 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor like the Dahua 5442 series camera would be the better choice if infrared is needed.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It also depends on if the camera is on default settings or not LOL. Yeah it looks like noon at midnight when on default settings with no ambient light, but motion is a blur LOL.

Once people dial in the settings to eliminate blur, only then does one know if they have enough light!
Yes 100%. With zero light you actually CAN get a so so image but you won’t be able to make anything out once motion occurs. Only option is to use white light in this case. Which I found isn’t too big of a distraction. Mainly looks like someone’s cell phone light lol