Which camera should I get?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your porch light isn't going to be on literally all night, then x2 on @VorlonFrog's Dahua Starlight 4231.

If you're not familiar with Dahua's Starlight line (or Hikvision's Dark Fighter line <most models use the same tech>), they have a redesigned, larger 2MP 1/2.8" sensor that gives the best low-light image quality for the buck. Night-time images have significantly less noise/grain, as well as the least amount of motion blur (which can easily distort facial features). Comparing spec sheets, the 4MP 4431 has a minimum illumination spec of .3 lux... The 2MP Starlight 4231 minimum illumination spec is .07 lux, so about 4x less light.

Spec sheet:
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

The forum has a very reliable Dahua vendor (Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY). He has a sub-forum here in the Vendors area if you want to learn more about him. He's sold thousands of cameras to folks here over the last few years. This particular model is available on his Amazon store:
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07BBJQ4B5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2YIAR6AERKFQV&keywords=empiretech&qid=1551121797&s=gateway&sprefix=empire,aps,121&sr=8-7

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, remember that domes on porches can be train wrecks if they're aimed in a manner where something in front of them (columns, walls, etc) can reflect their IR light back at them. The reflected IR can hit the dome and cause the image to be washed out or look splotchy.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been struggling with this decision as well for the past few weeks. I am inclined to get the Starlight version of the Dahua wedge cam with the 3.6mm lens but have lights on either side of the front door that are on all night so maybe the higher MP cam would be a better choice?

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The extra light may be enough to keep a Starlight in color mode during the night. How far away from the door would the camera be located?

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A picture may be easier that me trying to describe the setup. The camera will go on the right side of the door where the yellow circle is. There is a 2 gang box I installed for a door-phone/camera/intercom.

front-door.jpg

luke duke

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have the older version of this camera. (4MP, 2.8mm, 1/3" sensor, Hikvision) I figured out that it is still under warranty, so I'm going to pursue that before buying something else. Do you think that I would be able to improve much with a 2MP Starlight? See the attached file where I ID'd someone that stole ~25 flags from the neighborhood. I don't realistically expect to see anything on the street with this camera. It is for the porch.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A picture may be easier that me trying to describe the setup. The camera will go on the right side of the door where the yellow circle is. There is a 2 gang box I installed for a door-phone/camera/intercom.

View attachment 39652
Hi @griffths

I have a 2.8mm Dahua OEM 2MP mini-dome wedge at about that placement level on next to the front door frame. It works well to catch those at the door, as people can be 2-3 feet away from the camera when standing at the door.

I bought this before the dual lens version came out, I would now like to add another camera to get another angle to make it harder for mail thieves to turn their back to hide.

Considering the great setup you already have lined up, I would now also consider the dual lens version that looney2ns has reviewed for a placement similar to your's