which camera, which NVR

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, some newbie questions to get me off to a fast start. I've read dozens of pages but confusion has set in.
I'll stick with POE Dahua gear I think and recording to a Dahua NVR in the house.

My needs: One camera looking at front of house from 30m away, FOV about 120 degrees, can ID a face at 30m day or night; second camera on house looking at another building 50m away, FOV about 15 degrees, can ID a face at 50m day or night; record to a NVR; I can remotely access via internet to view live footage; I don't need PTZ capabilities on the cameras.

(1) any recommendations on which Dahua cameras would suit?
(2) any recommendations on a NVR to suit?
(3) how do I set up the NVR? (Do I need to purchase extra software on my Windows 10 laptop to set up the NVR or is that included with the NVR?)

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, some newbie questions to get me off to a fast start. I've read dozens of pages but confusion has set in.
I'll stick with POE Dahua gear I think and recording to a Dahua NVR in the house.

My needs: One camera looking at front of house from 30m away, FOV about 120 degrees, can ID a face at 30m day or night; second camera on house looking at another building 50m away, FOV about 15 degrees, can ID a face at 50m day or night; record to a NVR; I can remotely access via internet to view live footage; I don't need PTZ capabilities on the cameras.

(1) any recommendations on which Dahua cameras would suit?
(2) any recommendations on a NVR to suit?
(3) how do I set up the NVR? (Do I need to purchase extra software on my Windows 10 laptop to set up the NVR or is that included with the NVR?)

Thanks.
Welcome Gregip,

I would ALSO love to have cameras which can do that which I can afford..... unfortunately, there is no such camera available ( FOV 120 degrees, ID a face at 30m day or night ). You will have to adjust your requirements, perhaps with more cameras, or with less FOV and range. Suggest taking sometime to review the notes a number of us have been collecting here to get a better idea of the limits and what is possible.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.