Which camera would you choose?

metrangia

n3wb
Jul 16, 2024
NJ
Assuming all of the other specs on these two cameras are similar, which one would you prefer, and why?
The camera will be used to cover a front yard, and be mounted about 8 feet up on the house.
The street is approx. 55 feet from the house.
There will be some lighting from outdoor lights by the front door.
I would like the clearest video possible, and also be able to digitally zoom in without losing much detail.

Camera #1:
Image sensor = 1/2.8
MP @ 30 fps
Night vision distance = 98 feet

Camera #2:
Image sensor = 1/1.8
MP at 30 fps
Night vision distance = 66 feet

Assuming all of the other specs on these two cameras are similar, which one would you prefer, and why?
I would go with #2 because it has an image sensor large enough for the megapixels provided (4MP with 1/1.8" sensor) and will provide MUCH better low light performance than the 8MP you listed, especially with motion.

An 8MP camera should have at least a 1/1.2" sensor.

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

I would like the clearest video possible, and also be able to digitally zoom in without losing much detail.
I would think the 8MP would provide the best detail when digitally zoomed BUT...only during the day.
With "some lighting from outdoor lights by the front door" the 8MP will likely have better detail at night BUT.......only at the front door, not so much as you look "55 feet from the house"; there the 4MP may look better than the 8 when digitally zoomed because of the poorer lighting.

I'd still go with the 4MP & 1/1.8".

I would think the 8MP would provide the best detail when digitally zoomed BUT...only during the day.
With "some lighting from outdoor lights by the front door" the 8MP will likely have better detail at night BUT.......only at the front door, not so much as you look "55 feet from the house"; there the 4MP may look better than the 8 when digitally zoomed because of the poorer lighting.

I'd still go with the 4MP & 1/1.8".

I was thinking similarly but I have to admit that it's too easy to get caught up in the "more pixels is better" trap.

The 8MP would give a better image when digitally zoomed in, but when not zoomed, I doubt if I would notice the difference between 4MP and 8MP (I currently don't own a 4K monitor but I am planning for the future).

On the other hand, the larger 1/1.8 image sensor of the 4MP camera should provide a big improvement in image clarity over the 8MP.

That's why I am on the fence. You did say something that I hadn't thought of - the larger sensor would be much better in low light situations - and that's when most of the bad stuff happens.

So these are the two cameras I am looking at:

Camera #1: Amcrest IP8M-DB3946EW-3AI
Image sensor = 1/2.8
8 MP @ 30 fps

Camera #2: Amcrest IP4M-1046EW-AI
Image sensor = 1/1.8
4 MP at 30 fps

Unfortunately, camera #2 is out of stock on the Amcrest web site, and not on Amazon at all.

Any suggestions for a 1/1.8 4MP camera?

Reactions: mat200
Unfortunately, camera #2 is out of stock on the Amcrest web site, and not on Amazon at all.

As stated above by wittaj, the Dahua-OEM'd Loryta / Empire Tech is a great sub (if not better) than the Dahua-OEM'd Amcrest. :cool:

Reactions: JDreaming
Keep in mind that a camera to cover close to the house is a different camera than at 55 feet away. If your goal is close to the house and 55 feet away, that is two cameras.

A 2.8mm fixed length will not give you IDENTIFY at 55 feet away, even with digital zoom.

I was thinking similarly but I have to admit that it's too easy to get caught up in the "more pixels is better" trap.

The 8MP would give a better image when digitally zoomed in, but when not zoomed, I doubt if I would notice the difference between 4MP and 8MP (I currently don't own a 4K monitor but I am planning for the future).

On the other hand, the larger 1/1.8 image sensor of the 4MP camera should provide a big improvement in image clarity over the 8MP.

That's why I am on the fence. You did say something that I hadn't thought of - the larger sensor would be much better in low light situations - and that's when most of the bad stuff happens.

So these are the two cameras I am looking at:

Camera #1: Amcrest IP8M-DB3946EW-3AI
Image sensor = 1/2.8
8 MP @ 30 fps

Camera #2: Amcrest IP4M-1046EW-AI
Image sensor = 1/1.8
4 MP at 30 fps

Look for Andy EmpireTecAndy as a vendor in the USA if you need a good selection of Dahua OEM cameras ..

Also as @wittaj notes, one camera typically is unable to perform all of our expectations as a new user of security cameras ( thus my N+1+ cable rule .. always run at least one extra cat5e/6 cable run to each location )

"Keep in mind that a camera to cover close to the house is a different camera than at 55 feet away. If your goal is close to the house and 55 feet away, that is at least two cameras.

A 2.8mm fixed length will not give you IDENTIFY at 55 feet away, even with digital zoom. "

The camera will be used to cover a front yard, and be mounted about 8 feet up on the house.
The street is approx. 55 feet from the house.
There will be some lighting from outdoor lights by the front door.

Camera #1:
Image sensor = 1/2.8
MP @ 30 fps
Night vision distance = 98 feet

Camera #2:
Image sensor = 1/1.8
MP at 30 fps
Night vision distance = 66 feet

Hi @metrangia

Do check out the DORI section of the cliff notes, .. note, I did not document the issue with objects too close to the camera.

Also, the specs for "Night Vision Distance" I do not trust as I feel they really do not give an accurate data point.

Basically, look at the DORI range .. and then expect that range to be shorter in low light. The better the camera is in low light, then the closer it will be to daytime range .. otherwise consider significant reduction in range.

What is EmpireTecAndy's business model? Is he refurbishing cameras, rebranding them, and selling them at a discount?

Andy's cameras are Dahua OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech. He also supplies them to the ipcamtalk store.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you buy from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon or his website or via DM, they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from a USA authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provides cameras to Andy to sell before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

What is EmpireTecAndy's business model? Is he refurbishing cameras, rebranding them, and selling them at a discount?

Hi metrangia

Principle business iirc is selling new Dahua oem cameras and nvrs world wide.

Dahua at times requires distributors to rebrand cameras and nvrs .. thus the branding you see.

He sells Dahua rebrands that are new and better than Dahua OEM (newer firmware, better firmware, customer support), for much less money. He also sells cameras in the USA that you would not normally be able to get here.

Buy with confidence.

I have about a half dozen of his cams and some Dahua OEM's, all have been solid over the past 4 years.

He also sells refurb's as available and always identifies his refurb's.

BHPhoto is the USA authorized Dahua distributor if you wish to compare the savings.

ETA Looks like Wittaj answered above similar to my comments.

What you probably need is two of camera #2. One with a 2.8 or 3.6mm lens and one of the "ZE" variants zoomed in on the street / end of the driveway max zoom of 12mm.

Andy's cameras are Dahua OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech. He also supplies them to the ipcamtalk store.

Are the Dahua cameras compatible with Amcrest NVRs, the way that Amcrest cameras are? I'm not totally clear on the relationship between Amcrest and Dahua.

Are the Dahua cameras compatible with Amcrest NVRs, the way that Amcrest cameras are? I'm not totally clear on the relationship between Amcrest and Dahua.
Typically. You may occasionally encounter a camera that's harder to get set up and working on an Amcrest DVR or an Amcrest DVR that doesn't recognize an AI detection from the camera.
Most if not all Amcrest hardware is made by Dahua. Amcrest modifies the software, usually to simplify it occasionally features may get removed as a cost savings.

Last edited:

Amcrest sells Dahua oem cameras and nvrs, and basically rebranding as amcrest. Sometime they made customized cases like the hexagonal cross section bullets ..

Often the models amcrest sells are with smaller sensors and the nvrs often the more affordable ones.

My Dahua nvr just easily saw the amrest camera I plugged into it. Older kit now, so they may have added more complex passwords / setup now.