Which Costco System?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8 port can only support 7 cameras...you need one port for uplink...
Depending on the install layout, 2x4 can be better than 1x8..

Reaction score
So if I end up needing more than 4 cameras on the shop building than I could add a second four port switch to the first four port switch?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And if you are using these to support cams then I wouldn't worry about getting a switch with gig speed since cams don't need it.

Sentusing Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The OP's system is the one at this link he mentioned in the first post and ordered in the third post. http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html# The discussion has moved around a lot since then. He asked about a ptz camera also which prompted me to let the thread know about a sub $1,000 camera that has worked nicely for a month for the neighbor in the BNC59 format and comes in IP also. They seem to be available in BNC and IP format from $399 to $750 from various vendors. (BH photo, Newegg, Amazon ect) Lorex itself doesn't seem to cater to retail sales very well although the 720P model is now $399 there. That neighbor paid $450 a month ago and he is still happy. Here are part numbers for your search if anyone is interested.
All are 12X zoom PTZ with auto tour.
1080p IP -Pn LNZ32P12 https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/PTZ-Cameras/1080p-Weatherproof-IP-PTZ-Camera/prod690001.p
1080P BNC59 -PnLZV2722B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4HM2PR2033&cm_re=lzv2722b-_-050-00AX-00004-_-Product
720P BNC59 -PnLZV1722B https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/PTZ-Cameras/1080p-Weatherproof-IP-PTZ-Camera/prod690001.p

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The OP's system is the one at this link he mentioned in the first post and ordered in the third post. http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html# The discussion has moved around a lot since then. He asked about a ptz camera also which prompted me to let the thread know about a sub $1,000 camera that has worked nicely for a month for the neighbor in the BNC59 format and comes in IP also. They seem to be available in BNC and IP format from $399 to $750 from various vendors. (BH photo, Newegg, Amazon ect) Lorex itself doesn't seem to cater to retail sales very well although the 720P model is now $399 there. That neighbor paid $450 a month ago and he is still happy. Here are part numbers for your search if anyone is interested.
All are 12X zoom PTZ with auto tour.
1080p IP -Pn LNZ32P12 https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/PTZ-Cameras/1080p-Weatherproof-IP-PTZ-Camera/prod690001.p
1080P BNC59 -PnLZV2722B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4HM2PR2033&cm_re=lzv2722b-_-050-00AX-00004-_-Product
720P BNC59 -PnLZV1722B https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/PTZ-Cameras/1080p-Weatherproof-IP-PTZ-Camera/prod690001.p

Jim
It should work as its a dahua ptz and the qsee is dahua as well...it does not have IR, though..
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd404242c212s-hn-456.html
However, ptz in most home security applications is a waste of resources...If you dont mind 4x and No ir, there is a cheaper dahua ptz out..
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/ip-ptz-s/eyesurv-esip-ptzmicro-1080p-2mp-weatherproof-mini-ptz-with-4x-optical-zoom.html

Reaction score
Received the cable and had my son dig a small 'trench' across the gravel driveway where the one cable will have to cross from the fence (where the cam will be mounted) to the house where the cable will continue its journey to the office. I'll put the cable inside a length of pvc in the trench. This part of the driveway has very little traffic other than a car trailer going over it occasionally.

I'm trying to read the operating instructions and such (via the Q-see website) to learn how the system operates before it arrives next week.

I'm wondering what I should check on the system after it comes out of the box and before cameras are installed and cables run?

In the list of items the system comes with is a 'usb mouse'. What is this for? We of course already have mouse etc on our pc's.

I'm now reading through the quick-start guide for 'remote monitoring' and it looks intimidating...
You will need: Ensure that your NVR is connected directly to your network router using a

Cat 5 or “Ethernet” cable plugged into your NVR’s network port (labelled
“NET” or “LAN”). Having a network switch between your NVR and router
can cause connectivity problems. Please note that your NVR must be
connected to your router with a cable as it will not work with a wireless
connection.

• Have a computer connected to the same router as your NVR.

For information on how to set up your NVR and cameras, please refer to the Quick Start Guide poster
included with your NVR along with the User Manual also included on the accompanying CD.

• You will need your router’s brand, model number and manual. The manual

is also usually available on your router’s manufacturer’s website.

• The “Manuals and Software” CD that came with your NVR. It contains

necessary software and links to other important programs.

The NVR will be in the office where the router is and I can connect the NVR to the router with a cable. The desktop win7 pc in the office is also connected to said router via cable, so that all sounds good.

Router brand, model #, and manual. It's a very old router - Actiontec M1424-WR Rev. C set up with WAP security.

I take it with the system hooked up like this I should be able to install the NVR operating software on my desktop PC and control the system from my PC?

Reaction score

I take it with the system hooked up like this I should be able to install the NVR operating software on my desktop PC and control the system from my PC?
Or, the included usb wireless mouse is intended to control the nvr directly? (there is a usb port on the front of the nvr I believe)
And the included hdmi cable is intended to go from the nvr to a monitor. And the system control software resides on the nvr's hard drive?

If that's the case I need a monitor to go along with the nvr. I have pretty decent extra monitor that could be used but it doesn't have hdmi port, only vga and dvi ports. Do they make an hdmi to vga or dvi adapter?

Reaction score
They make adaptors from HDMI to DVI if you want, here is another option that IS the cable without the need to have a connector in the mix - http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00L3KNZZ8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440435262&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi
Thanks, that's only few cents more than the adapter.

Another question for the group. The included cameras come with a 3.6 lens, is it possible to obtain other lenses for these cameras? Maybe a wider angle lens if needed?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll get the cable ordered after this next question (which may add an item to the order). I 'think' the other runs will be satisfied using the included 100' cables but in all honesty I haven't measured them out yet.

My next question involves the cameras that will be installed on the outside and inside of the detached shop building.

As I mentioned this shop building is right next door to the house and I ran some conduit underground that carries power, cable tv, low voltage, and one cat5 from the house to the shop.

The one cat5 originates at the intranet wired/wireless router that serves the various wired and wireless devices we have on the fios. This router is in the computer room/office of the house which is were the NVR will likely end up being located. This cat5 to the shop is currently providing wired internet for the shop desktop PC. Said PC is not a priority and could likely run off the wireless signal coming from the house of needed.

So bottom line is I want to install two cameras outside and two maybe three inside the shop building, but there is only one cat5 cable serving that building from where the NVR will be located. Does each individual camera need to be supplied a dedicate cable back to the NVR? When all is said and done does each camera end up with its own internet IP address?

Is there maybe some sort of switch available that would allow this one cat5 cable from the NVR to service the five cameras in the shop?
since you already have a cat5 going to the shop in an underground conduit. You can connect a POE switch on the shop side on that cat5 coming out at the shop, as paarl mentioned. This will give you as many new ports as your POE switch has. So if your running 5 cameras and 3 machines, you can get an 8 PORT POE switch.

With the cat5 cable you have, you should be able to transfer 100mbps, which should be sufficient for your 5 cameras.

Would have been nicer if you had cat5e but I think cat5 will do fine, either way you have to test before deciding on any cable upgrades, if all is well then no need to run new lines to the shop.

Iv been using the Netgear FS728TP which is a 24 port POE switch without issues and solid, its a smart switch so its plug and play no programming needed, and theyre close in price as an 8 port new POE, $80 to $120. Also has 4 gigabit uplink ports which you cant make use of as your limited by your 100mbps cat5 but theyre there in the event you decide to upgrade in the future, whether adding more cams or adding a new cat6 line.

Each camera will get its own IP address, I have mine setup as NVR with 192.168.1.200, and the cameras got the 192.168.1.201 and 202, 203 and so on.

The program SADP will find your cameras and you will be able to log in and change the IP to whatever you like but should match your home networks subnet scheme. Which is usually the above example.

If you CMD and ipconfig you will get your default gateway's ip and subnet and take it from there.

Cheers with your new project.

didnt see page 2 and 3 but hope my post was still of some help.

Last edited by a moderator:

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or, the included usb wireless mouse is intended to control the nvr directly? (there is a usb port on the front of the nvr I believe)
And the included hdmi cable is intended to go from the nvr to a monitor. And the system control software resides on the nvr's hard drive?

If that's the case I need a monitor to go along with the nvr. I have pretty decent extra monitor that could be used but it doesn't have hdmi port, only vga and dvi ports. Do they make an hdmi to vga or dvi adapter?
If you are getting the Qsee unit in the first post it has a vga output. You will be limited to the monitors max resolution for viewing purposes.
*I do not have a Qsee system*
I believe the NVRs OS generally resides in firmware (a chip) rather than on the Hard drive and will work as a standalone unit you can attach to your router, network, or computer by the ethernet connection if desired.

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, very helpful information.

I received the system yesterday but it will be bit before I can unbox it and start setting it up.

I had the main project manager from the developer who is purchasing our place out here to the property yesterday for a meeting. I wanted to know more on how the process works, what we can expect in terms of activity with regards to already acquired but now vacant properties, the sequence of closings etc.

He provided a bunch of good information including verifying that we would be the last property to close and likely the last to move out. He went over the parcel map and identified the parcels that they already owned and the closing dates of the remain parcels. The bottom line is there is going to be a number of empty houses for quite a number of months.

He said that squatting, theft and vandalism are very real concerns and they have experienced such in a number of their local development projects. The company is very concerned about it for several reasons including concern about how it affects the remaining residents, the substantial legal liability should someone get injured on one of their properties, and if the squatters are not found and forcefully evicted right away then it becomes a prolonged and costly legal battle.

Apparently people ranging from those who want to get a jump on other folks with regards to moving sales to those who target these properties for theft or squatting are monitoring the area, and checking the county property website such that they know when the properties will be close to vacating (garage sales) and ultimately when they are actually vacated.

This fellow said that even when they board up the houses (plywood on all windows/doors) the squatters will remove the plywood from one opening (usually one that allows upright passage into the house and the one that is the least visible from neighbors), like the sliding glass door for example. They will also park down the road in park or public parking area, or on the street and access their new home by walking. That way there are not vehicles actually parked at the house. And of course these new residents completely trash the house, cutting out 2x4's from the walls to burn to heat the house in the winter etc.

This fellow thought installing a video system was a good idea and asked if it would be capable of generating still images or short video segments that could be emailed to him so he could identify if said vehicle/person was from his team and supposed to be in the area or not. Also gave me his card with his personal cell number and said to call if we notice activity on any of the parcels and he could tell us if it was legit or not.

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this is a few months old, but just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that I've noticed this morning that several Costco camera systems are on sale right now, even the 4MP camera setup. http://www.costco.com/surveillance-systems.html

More cameras and money I'm wanting to spend up front but who knows, we'll see what a custom built system would be priced at with milkisbad once I hear from him.