Which Dahua's?

tufan123

n3wb
Reaction score
We are building a new home and a few months ago I took some camera wiring rough ins based on advice from a few folks here. This is where all the camera wiring is:
Our house will be done in the next 4-6 weeks and I wanted to purchase the cameras before we moved in. I've been reading through this thread (Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup) and am a little lost in which models I should get. Can you guys recommend something?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Based on your budget, if have enough budget all go to the HDW5231R-ZE, front door use IPC-HDBW4231F-AS, drive way, use IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. If budget is limited, can go to IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and HDBW4231F-AS , then can be enough.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you look at the cliff notes in the wiki? There is some camera information in there that might help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tufan123

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on your budget, if have enough budget all go to the HDW5231R-ZE, front door use IPC-HDBW4231F-AS, drive way, use IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. If budget is limited, can go to IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and HDBW4231F-AS , then can be enough.
Thanks, I will reach out to you for quotes on them in a few days.

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
Rough in your front door camera at head height so you get faces. I see the tops of heads all day.

I got a 5231 and like it lots....great image for front walkway. Feel I can ID peple. Have a IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS coming from Andy. Has some nice specs at a nice price.

Thought 8 channels would be enough but I guess not!

tufan123

n3wb
Reaction score
What NVR do you guys recommend(is there a 16 port)? I was thinking about BI but I don't want to tinker too much. I work in IT and already do enough of that during the day. If I went with a Dahua NVR can I stream my camera feed to tablets? I will wall mount a few to use as picture frames/monitor stations.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What NVR do you guys recommend(is there a 16 port)? I was thinking about BI but I don't want to tinker too much. I work in IT and already do enough of that during the day. If I went with a Dahua NVR can I stream my camera feed to tablets? I will wall mount a few to use as picture frames/monitor stations.
BI requires no more tinkering than an NVR and will open up a world of options that will never be available in the nvr.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
BI requires no more tinkering than an NVR and will open up a world of options that will never be available in the nvr.
On the other hand, my Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2 makes point-to-point connections to all of my IPCs, therefor separating all PoE traffic from my "normal" LAN, no bandwidth impact at all. As camera's are permanently fixed, these wirings shouldn't change over time, that, combined with the fact that this NVR is able to "port forwarding" from the LAN towards the PoE LAN made it an easy choice for my situation.
I am not arguing that BI can do much more, it's with lots of choices in life, a lexus is also driving differently than a merc. My BOM allowed me an NVR-with-all-integrated, not for an x86, plus PoE switch, plus lots of additional cabling hence now, all 13 IPC cables come straight out of the wall, directly into the NVR. No expensive patch panel nor additional drops.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand, my Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2 makes point-to-point connections to all of my IPCs, therefor separating all PoE traffic from my "normal" LAN, no bandwidth impact at all. As camera's are permanently fixed, these wirings shouldn't change over time, that, combined with the fact that this NVR is able to "port forwarding" from the LAN towards the PoE LAN made it an easy choice for my situation.
I am not arguing that BI can do much more, it's with lots of choices in life, a lexus is also driving differently than a merc. My BOM allowed me an NVR-with-all-integrated, not for an x86, plus PoE switch, plus lots of additional cabling hence now, all 13 IPC cables come straight out of the wall, directly into the NVR. No expensive patch panel nor additional drops.
You misunderstand basic networking. If you attach the IP cameras and the bi machine to the same network switch, you active the same result, no traffic passes outside the switch. You would also be able to easily segment the blue iris machine and cams on its own vlan if using a managed switch.
Not sure about your patch panel and cable comment, same would apply to a switch. Seems you might be confused about how this is setup.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
You misunderstand basic networking. If you attach the IP cameras and the bi machine to the same network switch, you active the same result, no traffic passes outside the switch. You would also be able to easily segment the blue iris machine and cams on its own vlan if using a managed switch.
Not sure about your patch panel and cable comment, same would apply to a switch. Seems you might be confused about how this is setup.
For an enterprise networking infrastructure, I cannot agree more with your statement: managed switches, vlans, port trunks and all these fancy features (at a certain cost!) are the way forward. In my home, I do like to have physical separated networks (which at one point DO converge into vlans), but I personally liked it more not to have additional patch panel outlets with a bunch of cool patch panel cables which -in the end- would never move. So my innerwall cables are terminated straight into the NVR, not bothering anyone.
What works for you might be bit complicated for someone else. I still have to defend my budget to the WAF, she knows where which cable serves for. And that's more than enough ;-)
As Tufan123 indicated he works in IT, he can evaluate the priorities, work out an architecture, budget and WAF parameters.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For an enterprise networking infrastructure, I cannot agree more with your statement: managed switches, vlans, port trunks and all these fancy features (at a certain cost!) are the way forward. In my home, I do like to have physical separated networks (which at one point DO converge into vlans), but I personally liked it more not to have additional patch panel outlets with a bunch of cool patch panel cables which -in the end- would never move. So my innerwall cables are terminated straight into the NVR, not bothering anyone.
What works for you might be bit complicated for someone else. I still have to defend my budget to the WAF, she knows where which cable serves for. And that's more than enough ;-)
As Tufan123 indicated he works in IT, he can evaluate the priorities, work out an architecture, budget and WAF parameters.
You are confused. There is only ONE additional cable used when using a POE switch. That is the cable from the Blue iris machine to the switch. Setting aside the vlan, I was simply pointing out that your statement about bandwidth impact is incorrect. Therefore, that is not an advantage when using an NVR. I simply pointed out additional benefits when using a managed switch.
As far "terminating into the NVR" you can terminate into the switch, what is the difference?
The OP can make his own evaluation, I simply pointed out that his statement was factually incorrect, as are yours.

Last edited:

tufan123

n3wb
Reaction score
That switch is crazy overkill..
Have the budget and will have 12 cameras +4 APs + other devices plugged in. Thought about the 24 port POE & a non POE but wanted to stick to one switch. Also like the UniFi ecosystem and would use their cameras if they were decent.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a 28 port switch and could run out of ports. Right now, 22 are in use (12 cameras, 2 computer, 2 tivo, 1 roku, 1 dvr, 1 internet connection, 1 nvr, 1 solar electric interface, 1 wifi ap). I plan on using a few ports for external IR power-only. Add a few more cameras and/or other devices and I'm out of ports.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a 28 port switch and could run out of ports. Right now, 22 are in use (12 cameras, 2 computer, 2 tivo, 1 roku, 1 dvr, 1 internet connection, 1 nvr, 1 solar electric interface, 1 wifi ap). I plan on using a few ports for external IR power-only. Add a few more cameras and/or other devices and I'm out of ports.
You don't need a p o e switch for Non Poe devices

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We are building a new home and a few months ago I took some camera wiring rough ins based on advice from a few folks here. This is where all the camera wiring is:
Our house will be done in the next 4-6 weeks and I wanted to purchase the cameras before we moved in. I've been reading through this thread (Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup) and am a little lost in which models I should get. Can you guys recommend something?
What did you end up doing?

I have 6 HDW5231R-ZE outside my house now, will need another 6-7 before I'm finished.

I'm happy with how they work but maybe I need a better cam for my driveway.

Are you putting anything inside the house?