Which email provider for email alerts?

harb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello, I have a few ip cameras. They are a mix of Hikvision and Dahua. One of them is from Andy@empiretch but the rest are Chinese hacked English versions.

I am trying to setup email alerts from the dahuas at the moment. I created a new yahoo email and tried to setup the smtp settings in one of the dahua cams but it wouldn’t work. I read there are also issues with gmail. Does anyone know of a email service that works? Guess I can try outlook next.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use Gmail and think most users do, there are some threads about how this can be setup.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you're ok on linux. you can put your own smtp server in (meaning your cameras have no access to the internet), and that smtp server can forward to gmail/yahoo something else.

Have a look for postfix gmail relay - just make sure it's not accessible from external network

harb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you're ok on linux. you can put your own smtp server in (meaning your cameras have no access to the internet), and that smtp server can forward to gmail/yahoo something else.

Have a look for postfix gmail relay - just make sure it's not accessible from external network
Thanks. I’m on windows, will look for something similar. Maybe iis has a mail server.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m on windows, will look for something similar. Maybe iis has a mail server.
I think it does. Not sure I had much luck with it. While I'm primarily windows, I have a bunch of linux machines (Virtual machines and raspberry pis) so run postfix on those.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using Yahoo now after Gmail stopped working. No problems, even with sometimes hundreds of outgoing emails a day.

Cheers, Steve

harb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using Yahoo now after Gmail stopped working. No problems, even with sometimes hundreds of outgoing emails a day.

Cheers, Steve
Interesting, I was trying yahoo for hours yesterday but the Test button in the Dahua SMTP page kept saying failed to connect.

That was even after enabling the weak security option in yahoo.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
An interesting difference... mine worked straight up. The only thing I can add is that my Yahoo account is around a decade old, and was originally used for quantities of regular email traffic plus associated with moderation of Yahoo groups. Maybe it earns a reduction in spam reduction restrictions as a result.

Sorry to send you on a goose-chase.

dj_sandro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm also having issues with my dahua nvr. gmail used to work, then i switched to outlook smtp. but now it stopped working. i also tried adding my yahoo smtp configuration, but i keep getting an error when i try to send a test email. i also tried updating the firmware of the nvr but that also does not seem to solve the issue. Any suggestions? Oh btw i was even did a lookup if my ip was blacklisted but none of that.

dj_sandro

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to use my yahoo mail. I needed to edit the setting to allow less secure. Now it seems to work. Thanks!!

MNapple

n3wb
Reaction score
I use SMS to send a text to my cell and the same to my email address. if you have a way to develop the text to be sent, I'll send you the program. or they (SMS applications) are available for free from places like tucows.

SMS - Wikipedia