Which IP cameras are Y2K38 (Year 2038) compliant?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I seriously doubt my cameras will make it that far! By then we will have flying drones that patrol the property and protect it.

It's no problem with me, I will just set my clocks 10 years before and have another 10 years to go. This was good enough for
a large unnamed telecom company that did not want to upgrade some of their equipment, so should be fine for me.
They already have companies using drones for residential and commercial security perimeter protection. When an alert is issued, the drone launches and heads to the area of interest. Here is a link to a commercial property drone protection company: Nightingale Security | Autonomous Aerial Robotics there are several competing in the residential space already.

I have to also ask if the OP is serious? Concerns for 2038 seem pretty distant for such an evolving industry and with all the mis-information about 2000 you gotta ask about how realistic this new 'deadline' is. And I have been in IT as a Java developer for 22 years now, so not a layman's contemplation. I was hands on in the airline industry when the 2000 'deadline' arrived and it was nothing but hyperbole.

(When I say hands on, I mean I was on call for that week in case there were prod issues. We had a 99.999 uptime SLA worldwide. I worked for the worlds largest airline GDS, Galileo. Zero issues reported on our side and same for all the airplanes in the air and all related sub-systems)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
They already have companies using drones for residential and commercial security perimeter protection. When an alert is issued, the drone launches and heads to the area of interest. Here is a link to a commercial property drone protection company: Nightingale Security | Autonomous Aerial Robotics there are several competing in the residential space already.

I have to also ask if the OP is serious? Concerns for 2038 seem pretty distant for such an evolving industry and with all the mis-information about 2000 you gotta ask about how realistic this new 'deadline' is. And I have been in IT as a Java developer for 22 years now, so not a layman's contemplation. I was hands on in the airline industry when the 2000 'deadline' arrived and it was nothing but hyperbole.

(When I say hands on, I mean I was on call for that week in case there were prod issues. We had a 99.999 uptime SLA worldwide. I worked for the worlds largest airline GDS, Galileo. Zero issues reported on our side and same for all the airplanes in the air and all related sub-systems)
Pretty slick drones! Now if they could come down in price for a residential system, I might afford it.
Yep, I set at a telecom company for 8 hours during y2k, and watched TV the whole shift waiting for something to go bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think its hilarious that someone is concerned about a camera 17 years out. I assure you it will be dead by then. None the less, just like the Y2K nonsense, the camera will function perfectly in 2038. While you cannot manually set date to 2038, I set a hik cam to 12/31/2037 and it rolled over just fine. See image.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think its hilarious that someone is concerned about a camera 17 years out. I assure you it will be dead by then. None the less, just like the Y2K nonsense, the camera will function perfectly in 2038. While you cannot manually set date to 2038, I set a hik cam to 12/31/2037 and it rolled over just fine. See image.
The time when "shit" is supposed to "hit the fan" is 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038. Not January 1st.

I expect about the only thing that would go wrong is the clock would tick over to a negative number and might start showing early 1900s. Not sure. I'm not going to bother testing to find out.

Y2K38

n3wb
Reaction score
I never imagined hearing so many plans for people to be dead within 2 decades when I started this!

The issue isn't so much that IP cams from today don't support dates past 2038, but that developers of those systems remain unaware and uncaring for many years to come. It is probable that devices which don't support larger dates continue to be sold well into the 2030s and that millions upon millions of said devices will still be operational and useful on that date.
Well said, but there will likely be cameras from now that are fully functional in 17 years. The progression of technology slows over time. For single core CPU performance development, the amount of progress that took 2 years in the mid 90s took 10 years from 2010 to 2020. Granted digital camera technology is closer to GPU development than CPUs, which continues to make much more progress, but everything will slow down.

I think the h264 (or h265) video codec, which all modern IP cameras use, was a bit of a chicken and the egg problem. There needs to be a hardware encoder IC to make it practical, and there needs to be either fast CPUs or hardware decoders to view it, and there needs to be high resolution screens to display it. If either of the last two things are lacking, then there isin't a reason to justify the development of a hardware encoder IC, or the codec itself. A hardware encoder IC is nothing new. There just wasn't a reason to justify developing it when most users didn't have high resolution displays or general purpose CPUs capable of decoding it. It wasn't until 2007 with the Intel core2duo with its double speed SIMD units that a computer could even decode a 1080p30 movie. Prior to that, a hardware decoder IC would be needed to view 1080p30 content encoded in h264. There just wasn't a need for this when MPEG2 or MSMPEG4 or DiVX could do it for a fraction of the CPU requirement, but at a higher bitrate. There was nothing stopping the use an h264 type codec in the year 2000, if h264 hardware existed for encoding and decoding. So it's not that video codec relied on 2003 technology (the year when the h264 specification was finished) or later to make it possible. The reason is that the world wasn't ready for it, as the other things that it depends on were not yet common place in homes. Ironically, it has been about 17 years since the h264 specification was released, and only recently have IP cameras started moving to h265. We're currently just moving away from using 17 year old technology in cameras that are supposed to be long obsolete 17 years from now.

So with that said, there is really no reason to believe that any huge development in terms of camera video codecs will happen in the next 17 years. Resolutions will get higher and higher, but will data storage prices be reduced to match that? There is a limited amount of bandwidth available for wireless cameras to use, given the amount of sharing of the limited spectrum. Several 1080p30 cameras already reach the limit of wireless speeds unless it is at short range or you have no interference from neighbors.

I have my 802.11g wireless router from 2005, and it works just fine 16 years later. In fact the range is better than many of the N access points that have different antenna arrangements to be optimized for higher speeds rather than range.

Almost nothing was affected by Y2K. The world was just becoming digital and most computer systems were less than 10 years old, and shipped being Y2K compliant. Y2K38 is a completely different situation.

What exactly is going to improve on an IP camera in the next 10 years that will justify replacing it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I never imagined hearing so many plans for people to be dead within 2 decades when I started this!

Well said, but there will likely be cameras from now that are fully functional in 17 years. The progression of technology slows over time. For single core CPU performance development, the amount of progress that took 2 years in the mid 90s took 10 years from 2010 to 2020. Granted digital camera technology is closer to GPU development than CPUs, which continues to make much more progress, but everything will slow down.

I think the h264 (or h265) video codec, which all modern IP cameras use, was a bit of a chicken and the egg problem. There needs to be a hardware encoder IC to make it practical, and there needs to be either fast CPUs or hardware decoders to view it, and there needs to be high resolution screens to display it. If either of the last two things are lacking, then there isin't a reason to justify the development of a hardware encoder IC, or the codec itself. A hardware encoder IC is nothing new. There just wasn't a reason to justify developing it when most users didn't have high resolution displays or general purpose CPUs capable of decoding it. It wasn't until 2007 with the Intel core2duo with its double speed SIMD units that a computer could even decode a 1080p30 movie. Prior to that, a hardware decoder IC would be needed to view 1080p30 content encoded in h264. There just wasn't a need for this when MPEG2 or MSMPEG4 or DiVX could do it for a fraction of the CPU requirement, but at a higher bitrate. There was nothing stopping the use an h264 type codec in the year 2000, if h264 hardware existed for encoding and decoding. So it's not that video codec relied on 2003 technology (the year when the h264 specification was finished) or later to make it possible. The reason is that the world wasn't ready for it, as the other things that it depends on were not yet common place in homes. Ironically, it has been about 17 years since the h264 specification was released, and only recently have IP cameras started moving to h265. We're currently just moving away from using 17 year old technology in cameras that are supposed to be long obsolete 17 years from now.

So with that said, there is really no reason to believe that any huge development in terms of camera video codecs will happen in the next 17 years. Resolutions will get higher and higher, but will data storage prices be reduced to match that? There is a limited amount of bandwidth available for wireless cameras to use, given the amount of sharing of the limited spectrum. Several 1080p30 cameras already reach the limit of wireless speeds unless it is at short range or you have no interference from neighbors.

I have my 802.11g wireless router from 2005, and it works just fine 16 years later. In fact the range is better than many of the N access points that have different antenna arrangements to be optimized for higher speeds rather than range.

What exactly is going to improve on an IP camera in the next 10 years that will justify replacing it?
Lol. We have seen orders of magnitude improvement in the last 5 years. You have not been following the progress. There is way more to a camera than resolution. Wifi camera lol.
You should wait 10 years before buying new cams as I see this is really troubling you. Insane.

Y2K38

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol. We have seen orders of magnitude improvement in the last 5 years.
Like existing military technologies being manufactured in China at very low prices, so that the average person can afford it? What other such technologies will become available in IP cameras in the next 5 to 10 years do you think?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like existing military technologies being manufactured in China at very low prices, so that the average person can afford it? What other such technologies will become available in IP cameras in the next 5 to 10 years do you think?
What are you talking about? You have obviously not followed camera technology over the last 5 years. Start reading this forum. You will learn a lot.