Which IVS type should I use?

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've read about the different types of IVS on the Dahua Wiki, but I am unsure which one I should use.
The cam is looking onto my deck, and I want to trigger an alarm and a snapshot if someone enters the deck (or in general appears in the picture, if the person chooses to enter through the bushes.
No need for facial detection, at least not as prio 1.
So, which one would be my choice?
Tripwire, intrusion, or perimeter?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most will find that the intrusion box with the boxed checked for appears and crosses works the best.

Remember that the camera needs time to see the object and identify it as well, so do not run the IVS all the way against the borders of the image. In theory, the appears box should address it, but better to be safe.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That was quick :)
Appears and crosses are options in the settings for intrusion which I should check, dis I get this right?
OK, I will have a try.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was quick :)
Appears and crosses are options in the settings for intrusion which I should check, dis I get this right?
OK, I will have a try.
Yes, that is correct!

And if your camera has AI and you have a human check box, check that and leave the min object size as 0,0.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.
Its been some time...
I finally got to set up the cam, but there are still a lot of questions.
When setting up the intrusion event, I can check the boxes for "record" and "snapshot". But, for this to work, I need to define a storage space, right?
And somehow I dont get it - I connected the cam to my Synology NAS, using the survaillance station via ONVIF (my cam is not in the synology list). I want the NAS to do the recording and snapshotting and push-messaging, and the cam to do the IVS detection.
How can I get the cam to just trigger an IVS alarm, so that the NAS knows it has to record and make some snapshots?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if the Surveillance Station software supports the IVS functions of the Dahua cameras. I know you could create a NFS share on the Synology NAS and just have the camera store snapshots directly to the share but the folder and naming conventions that the cameras use to store snapshots directly to the share will drive you crazy. Its a terrible file creation system they do it with.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its just that the webinterface of the cam only gives me the options of record and/or snapshot. The survaillance station can record the stream of the cam, I tested it, but needs the trigger of the IVS alarm. Well, I just would like to have the cam compute the IVS data. Hmm.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The record and snapshot in the camera is to save to the SD card only.

Another VMS like a BI or Synology or NVR is used to record and trigger and send alerts...or you set up email alerts and what not in the camera, which I do not think you are wanting to do.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can save snapshots to a NFS share. I do that currently on a couple of my 5442s. I have a BASH script that renames all the convoluted file names the cameras creates the snapshots as and moves them into a browsable directory that is network accessible so I can browse them in the morning from my laptop while having breakfast.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read, the AI functions of the cam are much better than on the NAS, that's why I am looking to set it up like this.
But you're saying, that basically I have only two options:
A) let the cam do the IVS, and record the video to a sd card or NAS share. But then I don't get notifications because the cam has no Internet connection.
Or
B) let the synology do the IVS, with worse results, but I would be able to get notifications.

There is no C) with cam=IVS and NAS=recording+messages?

rufik

n3wb
Reaction score
Select "generic dahua" camera type in SS to have IVS events available. You can record videos triggered by IVS then.
ONVIF camera type does not handle IVS unfortunately.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@rufik
Thanks, I was able to switch over to generic Dahua.

Now - what do I have to do to have the cam send an IVS alarm to the SS?
And also, can you help me with the correct SS settings to recognize the event and start recording? I played with the SS settings, but it looks like something is still not right.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.
Testing a bit today.
Somehow the Intrusion Box does not detect anything. In the Alarm Tab nothing is shown when I walk into the target area.
The only strange thing is, that in the period settings, I can check the ALL box, but after a save the only box ticked is the Sunday one. But, above there is a green line for every day? Maybe the problem lies here and IVS thinks it should only work on Sundays?
If anyone is keen to - what screenshots do you need to check my settings?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Sunday being the only day being checked is just a cosmetic bug. The period defaults to 24x7x365. You can tell because every day has a full green bar even though only Sunday is checked.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, then something else is off - even if I don't check "record" and "snapshot" it should still produce an alarm I assume?
I can make some screenshots in the evening...

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I’m not sure since I don’t have a Synology station.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ups, I was just talking about the Web interface of the cam. Even there I cannot trigger any alarm or reaction.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Why don't you setup a NFS share on your Synology NAS, point the camera storage to it, turn on snapshots, and then see if crossing your IVS line/box creates a snapshot in the NFS share directory?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The alarm function is only to send out to something you wired to the camera like a light or speaker and sound.

You need an SD card in the camera to do playback to confirm the IVS is working correctly.

Post screenshots from the camera GUI of your IVS and smart plan tabs.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I see. Maybe an sd card is the easiest way for testing.
What kind and class is recommended?