Which IVS type should I use?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that should be ok. Definitely try the factory reset. Sometimes they get wonky. For kicks, I usually do 3 factory resets when I get a camera to ensure any bugs if any are cleared out.

Many of us then hit save 3 times and the refresh key to ensure the settings take.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the Dahuawiki for instructions on the global setup. The min default is 3m.
Edge and IE are NOT the same, only use IE.
If a factory reset from the GUI doesn't fix it, then try the reset button inside the camera. Hold for 20 seconds.

As an aside, FYI: I have no issue's with using Chrome and the IE tab extension. Never have.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did a quick GUI factory reset, with no effect. Rules lines are still not shown in the live view. Calibration validation still shows 0.00 which I think is odd because the drawn rulers are there.
So I'll do a hard reset later and see if that changes anything.

@EMPIRETECANDY - maybe you have any idea why the detection is not working and the rules lines are not shown in the live view in the web GUI?

I also installed chrome and the IE Tab extension. One question here: which IE version are you emulating? Latest one?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, better set up with the IE browser. Chorme IVS rule will not activate sometimes.

Last edited:

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY
Hi Andy,
thanks for tuning in!
Just for clarification: the rules lines (intrusion box or tripwire) should be shown in the live view in the web gui when the little button in the lower left corner is activated? (in my latest screenshot you can see it shows a yellow "enabled")
If yes, and the lines are not shown - what could be the reason?
I used the IE for my second setup attempt.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guten tag Final,

Just to check, did you remember to activate the IVS Smart Plan after your factory reset?
If not, you can properly set up IVS but the rules will not show as IVS is in fact not active.
This is easy to forget, i've been scratching my head more than once due to this. ;)

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ähem - nope, I did not activate this. I thought this is something different because it has a seperate tab in the settings area (like motion detection, missing object etc).
I was always only working with the settings of the IVS.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No problem, this is how you learn :)

Let us know if it works now. As mentioned earlier in the post, for best results you should do your settings in IE.
The easiest way to connect to the camera (if it's not connected to a POE-NVR) is to goto run and enter "iexplore <ip to camera>".

run.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the enable IVS in Smart Plan should get you going.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Damn, why isn't there a small note in the IVS settings saying "please do not forget to enable Smart IVS Plan"???

Ok, now I see the blue rules lines in the live view, and in global setup the calibration verification gives me actual values insteat of zero. Next archivement unlocked. :)

But, I just went outside, and me walking around inside the intrusion box did not trigger anything.
Do I have to have the general recording activated? Under Storage options it says pre-recording 5 seconds, will this work with no general recording?
But these settings should not prevent the snapshots to be made?

EDIT: I just changed the snapshot settings under the camera settings from "general" to "event" - but no effect. At least no new data in my nfs forlder on the NAS.
I will try with a second person later, but it looks to me like there is still something not right in the settings.
But I feel, with your help, I am getting there. :)

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, i would start with one thing at the time. Currently you are testing if IVS and if the save files to NAS is working, I haven't got save to nas running, i prefer save to FTP instead but this is a different chapter :)

Personally I would rather test IVS by installing gDMSS/iDMSS or DMSS app on your phone and connect to camera using local ip (assuming you can still be connected to wifi) and subscribe to the IVS rule.
Or even easier, if you're on a laptop, bring it out when testing as you will clearly see when IVS is triggered (IVS rule is flashing).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or throw an SD card in it and test it that way.

The record and snapshot in the camera is to save to the SD card only, although some may get it to work with other settings.

Another VMS like a BI or Synology or NVR should be used to record and trigger and send alerts...or you set up email alerts and what not in the camera, which I do not think you are wanting to do.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I just had another person do some silly dances out on the terrasse. Nothing triggered. I then decided to do a manual snapshot with the button in the upper right corner. Suddenly the IVS triggered, was detecting and tracking the person. And - I even got a recording in the surveillance station of my NAS and emails with snapshots. Yay! A few minutes later I went out, and it worked again!
But I could not find any recordings or snapshots in the nfs folder. So to reduce complexity, I deactivated the second rule with the tripwire and look into the storage and maybe tuning the parameters - and now it does not trigger anymore.
It is - lets say, a bit frustrating.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Less is more - one IVS if possible.

What FPS are you running?

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats what I thought....
The video settings are: Res=1080p, H.264, 15fps, smart codec=off, CBR, Bitrate=4096, Intervall frame count=15

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that is well within the rated capacity. Usually we find someone has maxed out FPS and bitrate and the CPU maxes out and IVS is missed.

final

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, recap:
After turning on smart plan IVS, we got to stage 2 and the rules where shown in the liveview.
A test did not trigger the detections, but when I made a manual snapshot suddenly the detection snapped into life, with a box around the person and blinking intrusion box borders when they where touched.
After switching off the second rule (tripwire) no detection again.
Seems odd to me, like something within the AI is in some kind of undefined state and needs a little push. Maybe some settings are blocking each other? I dont know.

The package with the sd card will arrive today, I will do some testing with just the camera, maybe I can find a setting that works.
If its ok I can post some more screenshots? Which one would you want to see?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess post the screenshots showing the Smart Plan tab and the IVS tabs.

Maybe a video snippet showing someone walking past and not triggering the rule either.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would do another reset to factory defaults, and set it up from scratch again after all the setting changes.