Which network

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Hikvision 7608 NVR and a turret cam. I connected the NVR to my network, and connected the camera to the back of the NVR.

All works fine.

However, the NVR is on my local network, and the camera is on the NVRs network (the 3rd part of the IP address is on 254).

I only have a POE camera and my switch isn't currently POE so I don't think I can test my question, but, if I was to get an additional Wireless camera or get a POE switch to plug the wired camera in elsewhere, will the NVR pick up a camera on my local side of the network (not the 254 range that the camera is currently connected to when plugged in the back of the NVR), or do I have to run a second network on the 254 range?

Hopefully i've explained that well enough, my network terminology may not be up to scratch!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Phil

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can add the cameras to the NVR on your regular network. You may have to specify them manually in the camera configuration, but it is easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@steve457 is correct.
But with no disrespect, let me just add something that you might bump into.
If your 8 channel NVR has 8 PoE ports, you will need to pick an unused one and use 'Modify' to add the LAN camera, as 'Add' and 'Delete' will not add or remove the pre-configured PoE channels.
Hopefully i've explained that well enough, my network terminology may not be up to scratch!
You explained it perfectly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, that's great. Also thanks Alastair for the tip RE the 8 ports. It is one with 8 PoE ports. I had a look in the config and can see the bit you mean. I think I might get myself a 4 port PoE switch and give it a try! It'll be preferred than running a second set of network cables round the house, or looking into the ethernet over power option.

Thanks again!