Which NUC is best for BI

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

A friend want to add cameras to his house and asked me for advice. I am not an expert in this but have done some research in the past. I recommended that he use HIKVision cameras with Blue Iris based on his scenario.

So in my limited knowledge, I am thinking a NUC is the way to go (we will need two one for the HA controller and one for BI).

What NUC is best suited for BI and what memory and HDD config. i want to keep it small and look the part - especially since we are going to need two so its got to look the part as well.

At the moment there are 7 cameras proposed - 6 will be HIK and the 7th will be a 2N video intercom camera (with an 8th quite possible).

Thanks

Mick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
None. Nuc is a poor choice for BI. You can easily by a skylake based elitedesk or optiplex for about 300, half the cost of a nuc..you want a system that can store video files locally by using a 3.5in drive.

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, Where is the best place for the optiplex (outside of the US). Are you talking new or refurb units?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Where is the best place for the optiplex (outside of the US). Are you talking new or refurb units?
The "refubs" are basically new...a few weeks old. Outside the US i have no idea. Ebay/dell outlet. Buy skylake...You can run your HA controller on the same pc. No need for 2.

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
Where in the US? I checked out ebay and they are all $600 - $1000. If you know of somewhere cheaper then I will have to buy and suffer the delivery costs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where in the US? I checked out ebay and they are all $600 - $1000. If you know of somewhere cheaper then I will have to buy and suffer the delivery costs.
You are not searching correctly.....lots of folks on this site buy them all the time. elitedesk by hp is another option.

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
So this is just confusing me now. I can find a lot of Dell's but cant tell which of them are Skylake and/or are suitable

How does this sound Optiplex 980 - its an i7-870 @ 2.93GHz

Ther eare so many options from Dell that its hard to tell which is OK.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So this is just confusing me now. I can find a lot of Dell's but cant tell which of them are Skylake and/or are suitable

How does this sound Optiplex 980 - its an i7-870 @ 2.93GHz

Ther eare so many options from Dell that its hard to tell which is OK.
that is garbage..its a first generation processor. Stay away. It is a power hog and does not support quicksync which is needed for hardware acceleration in BI.
skylake will start with a 6 and be 4 digits...use google to search model number.

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have four NUCs myself, two as desktops and two as media servers. For 3-4 cameras, an i5 NUC, 8gb memory and a 1tb SSD would work but 7 cameras, you need more horseypower like suggested above. I got a really good deal on an i3-6100/motherboard combo and currently recording two 1080p/15fps cameras 24/7 and it runs about 12-15% CPU. An i3 NUC would run my two cameras just fine.