Which NVR can handle manufacture independently cameras?

Dominik21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you know a NVR which can handle manufacture independently cameras? It should has at least an analysis function for motion detection.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the devil is in the details.

Ive used Axis and HiK cams on my Dahua NVRs just fine. But higher level functions tend to be tricky or not work well. Basic MD seems to be fine at least on those two. But AI stuff/IVS, obvious propietary features, not so much

Dominik21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He use's the Dahua 5000 series NVRs.
Ok thanks:thumb:! I will have a look.

Im an NVR guy, but agree with @looney2ns that for best options for a variety of manufacturer cams, BI would be my choice over an NVR
Yes I thought so, too. But then I've to buy an PC with the hardware and software. I think it would cost much more then an NVR and it would need more electricity. In my usecase I only need three cameras with motion detection so that would be to much I think. In german we say to shoot sparrows with cannons. I'm searching for a cost effective solution.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm searching for a cost effective solution.
Then buy matching brand hardware.
That's about the only way to guarantee compatibility (but even then you might run into issues depending on specific requirements).

I have a Uniarch NVR with three Uniarch cameras, two Dahua cameras and two Tiandy cameras.
The Uniarch cameras work will all available functions as expected.
The Dahua cameras work with MD only. No IVS alerts are picked up via the NVR, it all runs from within the camera (as are the email notifications).
The Tiandy cameras will only work via RTSP. So no MD, not alerts, no notifications, just straight up recording. I can get MD to work from within the camera but i can't get email alerts because the camera doesn't do TLS encryption.

If you're determined to mix and match you'll just have to suck it and see.

Otherwise what you might be able to do is have the NVR just do the recording and have all the alerts and notifications come from the cameras themselves.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks:thumb:! I will have a look.

Yes I thought so, too. But then I've to buy an PC with the hardware and software. I think it would cost much more then an NVR and it would need more electricity. In my usecase I only need three cameras with motion detection so that would be to much I think. In german we say to shoot sparrows with cannons. I'm searching for a cost effective solution.
Not all NVRs are created equal and you will find buying a used business PC ($150) is more economical than a capable NVR ($350) and uses comparable amount of power. Now that is the USA and some parts of the world used computers cost more.

Dominik21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Then buy matching brand hardware.
That's about the only way to guarantee compatibility (but even then you might run into issues depending on specific requirements).
Yes I think that's the way I will go.

Otherwise what you might be able to do is have the NVR just do the recording and have all the alerts and notifications come from the cameras themselves.
That's no nice solution...

Not all NVRs are created equal and you will find buying a used business PC ($150) is more economical than a capable NVR ($350) and uses comparable amount of power.
When the hardware requirements for blue iris are so low it could also be a good solution.

Thanks for your help :thumb: !! I think now I know in which direction I can go.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep some people have picked up used computers at a government auction for $25 that was more than capable to run BI lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI can call API commands for cameras, but I don't think it has API commands itself.

Unless you have another API that means something different LOL.

Dominik21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has BI an API or something like that?
Attached below is a recent copy of BI built-in PDF "Help" file; in the section near the end entitled "Administration" => "HTTP Interface" you'll find more of the type commands I used in "Simple Blue Iris I/O using Shelly1 Wi-Fi Devices." :cool:

Attachments