Which placement would you prefer

Adam Bales

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for yet another placement thread...I have read the wiki and used the software to layout the design but there are little real world things I would like people with real world experience to chime in on...

As of now I have 3 cameras to place on the front of the house and will get more as needed. I have a wedge with the 3.6mm at the front door at 6 feet but will likely need to raise about 6 inches and move back 6 inches as it currently gets some direct midday sun for an hour or so. This shouldn't be in issue in the summer when the sun is higher in the sky. Also probably changing the lens to 2.8mm. This placement allows me to get the porch and walk up to it. As for the front of the house, I have 2x 5231 turrets to install. One of them is going on the far R looking at the house under the soffet aiming towards the walkway/driway/yard. It is probably 12 feet up which I know is a little high but thats my only option for that side.

My question is how should I do the driveway. We have an eyebrow/soffet over the 2 car garage that I was planning on installing one of the turrets on the left side looking out over the driveway. I could also install in the soffet above the single garage door on the left looking out over the driveway but this again would be high around 12 ft. I could also buy a mount or just mount it straight to the house lower on the left but wanted it to be as inconspicuous as possible. A last option would be to buy another cam and put one high on the left as well as on the right on the double garage overhang.

Winter
20181205_145405.jpg

Summer
560718921.jpg

Front porch placement of wedge

20181205_145217.jpg

Yellow line is sun line; below is sun, above is not

2018-12-05-15-01-58.jpg
Porch view; needs adjustment and 2.8mm lens, but general idea

Screenshot_20181209-090632.png

Right side of house planned turret placement

2018-12-05-15-05-27.jpg
Driveway placement potentially

2018-12-05-15-04-18.jpg

Adam Bales

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the installed locations and current view from them. Debating moving the driveway cam to the center of the double garage and maybe changing it to one of the double wedges to cover more of the driveway. It would be under the overhand and out of the sun. Might not really be worthwhile since we don't park in the driveway overnight and really the only thing missed is the far side at the single garage.

Now to learn how to setup my blue iris pc and use it.

Thoughts and criticism welcome

Front door wedge with 3.6 lens. Have 2.8 lens coming to test
20181221_134808.jpg

Screenshot_20181221-134713.png

Front right of house cam way up high
20181221_134820.jpg

Screenshot_20181221-134701.png

Garage/driveway location
20181221_134831.jpg

Screenshot_20181221-141030.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are the installed locations and current view from them. ..
@Adam Bales Thanks for sharing your photos and setup, looks like a really nice place.

imho you're getting your cameras mounted too high in general. You really want the one by the front door to be as close to face level as possible for the maximum chance of a good facial ID image.

The higher you mount the cameras the more you want to narrow down the FOV and focus on getting an good facial ID further away from the camera.

For a 2MP / 1080P - where the H FOV edge to edge is 19.2 feet is the 100 ppf mark.

Remember to test your locations with a friend acting the part of a prowler w/a baseball cap and hoodie - both during the day and at night.
( hint try to pick a friend of average height - too tall and they mess up the test )

also plan for at least one more camera by the garage door.

You can have one focus at the start of the driveway on one side, and the other with a wider FOV watching closer to any parked car.

Adam Bales

n3wb
Reaction score
@Adam Bales Thanks for sharing your photos and setup, looks like a really nice place.

imho you're getting your cameras mounted too high in general. You really want the one by the front door to be as close to face level as possible for the maximum chance of a good facial ID image.
The problem with the front door is it gets midday sun which I know isn't good for those wedge style cameras with the plastic dome. Its mounted at 6 ft to be just out of the sun. I wanted something small and not noticeable there is why I went with the wedge

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the front door is it gets midday sun which I know isn't good for those wedge style cameras with the plastic dome. Its mounted at 6 ft to be just out of the sun. I wanted something small and not noticeable there is why I went with the wedge
Hi @Adam Bales

Hmmm... indeed a challenge.

definitely then try to get one of the other cameras to get an angle to get a good straight on facial ID image at 100 ppf+

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually have two cameras at the front door, one high,one low. It is important to get a good facial view, also a clear continuous image of where the packages will be dropped. My front door point north west so no sun. I would just keep the camera low, and live with the sun.