which poe injector do i get?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ordered hikvision cam a few days ago.now preparing myself.on the amazon site i see 3 options.injector,splitter and kit.is the kit the one to get? the only thing i have is the ethernet cable.i want to make sure i have everything ready before camera gets here.:D

Git

Banned
Reaction score
If your only going to run one camera, the injector should be fine. If your going to run more than that - you might consider a PoE switch instead

The 'injector' is used with a PoE camera like the Hikvision.

The 'splitter' is used for a non PoE camera like a Foscam and you have to split the power back out of the cable and into a separate port on the camera

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some Hikvision cams (don't know which cam you have ordered and you kept it a secret, lol) have 2 options to provide the power input, POE and a 12v input, so injector or splitter method is ok.. but (always a but) due to cable resistance over longer lengths, the splitter method may not provide enough at the camera end, if you put 12v in.

So a POE injector which uses a higher voltage and the camera will reduce it (cos that's what POE does) is the better although more expensive option.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Davep, the splitter he is referring to is most likely the poe splitter that is used in conjunction with an injector or switch... He should not be using a splitter... Like git says a switch or injector...

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the splitter he is referring to is most likely the poe splitter
Apologies.. I assumed this kind of splitter, for use with a simple dc power supply.

Attachments