Which Resolution & Bitrate are you using or recommended?

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what's recording resolution everyone is using for their camera system and why you made this choice. Do you use set different resolutions for each camera depending on its important or stays with highest resolution camera supported with lower fps?

Does it even make sense or even recommended to use highest recording resolution (4K in my case) on all cameras specifically outdoor ones? Is there a situation one should consider dropping resolution down to 2K if it records at much higher bitrate?

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please correct me if i am wrong guys, but depending on the proximity of the subject you are looking at (distance) you can have a mixture of camera MP.

I have a 4k and a few 4mp cameras.
The 4k is the one camara that is looking at my driveway (main camera at that location)

I chose the 4k in that location to be able to have more pixels at a farther distance and have a better chance to ID sometime during the day.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please correct me if i am wrong guys, but depending on the proximity of the subject you are looking at (distance) you can have a mixture of camera MP.

I have a 4k and a few 4mp cameras.
The 4k is the one camara that is looking at my driveway (main camera at that location)

I chose the 4k in that location to be able to have more pixels at a farther distance and have a better chance to ID sometime during the day.
Megapixels mean nothing, It’s more of a marketing term. Look at the cameras sensor size .

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Camit , but if you need 100 pixels across someone's face for ID purposes, (well lit conditions) based on what I have read, with a 1/2.8 1/2.9 or 1/3" sensor which is typically found on most mid range dahuas or hikvison cameras, having more MP shlould help on dicerning features at a given distance. At least that is what I can gather from the ip camera layout software that us floating around online.

My statement above relates to all things being equal. I think sensor size comes into play or shine in low light conditions. At least that is what I remember from reading in the past.

I am clear that a 5mp camera from ebay will be far less superior than a 2 mp dahua. Based on sensor size and lens etc.

What do you think? I have been wanting to post a thread to ask if it makes sense to install different cameras at the same locations to look at different things since no one camera does it all.

In my case I want good night vision, but at the same time, I want to ID someone approaching my property when im not around (working or out of town). From 10' up and 30' away (lets find the long side of the triange) I think a higher MP camera would give me an advang during the day.

I guess the questions I need to ask, is what is the intended application of the 8mp cameras hikvison and dahua make. It can't be all markering. There has to be some logic.

Btw. I have a 2mp PTZ 4x zoom camera from dahua. No IR unfortunately. and yes at night especially w the zoom it is amazing.

Ps. Going back to apples and oranges, I sent back my reolink and amcrest cameras. They were 8mp /4k but nothing like the dehauas I have replaced them with.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2mp is plenty for cams in most case's.
10-15fps
4096 bitrate.
@looney2ns I noticed your reply and I want to learn from you. I have my cams set up to 15 fps VBR and with the bit rate allowance set to the max (much higher than what you indicated). Here is my question. Is there a drawback to how i am setting up my cams? It CBR better and at that set to a speific amount?

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perhaps it can help ...
upload_2018-11-28_4-9-53.png
upload_2018-11-28_4-10-11.png

And as always you have to use the 3T rule, test, test and ... test! This will depend on whether you record continuously, the capacity of your hard drive etc ... It also depends on the brand of the camera if you are in H264 H265 MJPEG etc ...

BICK

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this mean that for a 5mp camera, their recomender fps is 8? Despite it can go higher?
Is this is order to maintain video fluency?

Btw i really appreciate you sharing that info.
Seem like 2mp is where it is at if you want high frame rate.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns I noticed your reply and I want to learn from you. I have my cams set up to 15 fps VBR and with the bit rate allowance set to the max (much higher than what you indicated). Here is my question. Is there a drawback to how i am setting up my cams? It CBR better and at that set to a speific amount?
Study the cliff notes if you have not yet.