Which UPS for 24 hr CCTV backup?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can scare them away with an automated siren that makes them think they are actively being monitored. The point of an alarm system is to scare away intruders of at the very least make them leave quicker than they normally would.
A few months ago there was a car break-in near me at 4:30am.
They broke into the truck and set the alarm off. It wasn't until the owner got out of bed and shouted that the scum ran/drove off.

On my own street I have witnessed live a 12 year old kid break into a car and his older brothers driving in another stolen car.
It was in broad daylight, with my house and the neighbours houses having plenty of CCTV.
It happened within 20 seconds. I hardly had any time to react and stop it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A few months ago there was a car break-in near me at 4:30am.
They broke into the truck and set the alarm off. It wasn't until the owner got out of bed and shouted that the scum ran/drove off.

On my own street I have witnessed live a 12 year old kid break into a car and his older brothers driving in another stolen car.
It was in broad daylight, with my house and the neighbours houses having plenty of CCTV.
It happened within 20 seconds. I hardly had any time to react and stop it.
No one is concerned with car alarms because they're not monitored and it's a quick job... That's why I'm a proponent of having a camera with a built-in speaker over the driveway or some other type of speaker... I have mindset to play an audio file demanding that they leave. The only time this hasn't worked is when a woman cut through rear parking lot of my office while wearing noise canceling headphones.. she proceeded to check the door... I called the local PD they were there within 2 minutes and caught her one house down.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No one is concerned with car alarms because they're not monitored and it's a quick job... That's why I'm a proponent of having a camera with a built-in speaker over the driveway or some other type of speaker... I have mindset to play an audio file demanding that they leave. The only time this hasn't worked is when a woman cut through rear parking lot of my office while wearing noise canceling headphones.. she proceeded to check the door... I called the local PD they were there within 2 minutes and caught her one house down.
Like this one!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
Some day I want to install something louder than a speaker....
I'm thinking an air horn and a big red button beside the CCTV monitor ;). That would scare a criminal and get the neighbours attention better!
Multiple alarm sirens both inside the house, instead on just one, and flush mounted sirens under the eaves outside the house, just raise the racket inside so that it is uncomfortable and upset the neighbours with multiple sirens outside. All this in addition to the box with a flashing light (that they fill with expanding foam or water LOL)

Of course video that you can distribute as stills on flyers and through FB is great. Name and shame because the Police will do absolutely nothing, even with video evidence. Associates of mine befriended Italian tourists who had their possessions stolen (so very common in NZ, tourists are GIANT, HUGE, AUTOMATIC targets) and though they proved who did it the NZ Police refused to act…. As normal!!!!! They confronted the burglar them selves and she initially denied it but her kids said, in front of her, that she did it. Sadly she burnt all their possessions, the stuff she could not sell, including the documents and passports. It was the documentation and passports that really stuffed them.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Multiple alarm sirens both inside the house, instead on just one, and flush mounted sirens under the eaves outside the house.
I'm thinking for just outside.
There's someone in the house awake at all hours of the day/night and we usually notice unusual things happening outside.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To answer some questions...
No, not a FIFO worker with expensive toys. Just someone who worked long and hard for what I have and not prepared to give anything up to a lazy piece of thieving trash without a fight.

Yes I have an alarm system with battery backup. This sends me alerts on my mobile 'phone (and some selected neighbours) but only when a crim enters the house. The burglar alarm system is not clever enough to detect people approaching the property.

The CCTV system is set up to send me alerts whenever a person or vehicle enters the set intrusion zones and this happens whenever someone gets within 10m of the house perimeter. I much prefer to know when a lowlife is approaching my property rather than when they have already entered. So far it is reliable and accurate and that is why I'm looking to give it power all the time.

Cops are useless in attending any burglary unless it's a politician, local council member or one of their buddies. I did speak with one young cop who assured me that if I contacted police saying I have live CCTV feed of burglars in my property then the police would act quickly. I don't believe him.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Multiple alarm sirens both inside the house, instead on just one, and flush mounted sirens under the eaves outside the house, just raise the racket inside so that it is uncomfortable and upset the neighbours with multiple sirens outside. All this in addition to the box with a flashing light (that they fill with expanding foam or water LOL)

Of course video that you can distribute as stills on flyers and through FB is great. Name and shame because the Police will do absolutely nothing, even with video evidence. Associates of mine befriended Italian tourists who had their possessions stolen (so very common in NZ, tourists are GIANT, HUGE, AUTOMATIC targets) and though they proved who did it the NZ Police refused to act…. As normal!!!!! They confronted the burglar them selves and she initially denied it but her kids said, in front of her, that she did it. Sadly she burnt all their possessions, the stuff she could not sell, including the documents and passports. It was the documentation and passports that really stuffed them.
I was reading quickly and I thought you said "the Police will do absolutely nothing, even with video evidence. Associates of mine beheaded Italian tourists" LOL