Who dunnit? Advice needed for cam(s).

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you take some nice close ups of the window damage with your phone or another camera?
Here are some pics. Three of the kitchen window and three of the bedroom window. The kitchen window had a screen covering where it was hit and although there was a white discoloration of the screen, there was no hole in it. It also appears that the white spot on the screen is about 1/2 inch lower than the hole in the window, suggesting an upward trajectory, which makes me think maybe it was a rock from a mower or blower that struck the window after all. There is no screen where the hole in the bedroom window appears.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some pics. Three of the kitchen window and three of the bedroom window. The kitchen window had a screen covering where it was hit and although there was a white discoloration of the screen, there was no hole in it. It also appears that the white spot on the screen is about 1/2 inch lower than the hole in the window, suggesting an upward trajectory, which makes me think maybe it was a rock from a mower or blower that struck the window after all. There is no screen where the hole in the bedroom window appears.
Those are pretty consistent with windows I've seen that have been stuck by BB's. A small rock isn't impossible, but it likely would have been pretty small and round, a bb shaped rock ;), Bedroom 3 does appear to have an upward trajectory.

When more irregular shaped objects (like a rock) strike a window, the resulting damage is more irregular. If you have a bunch of small pea gravel on your property, a rock may be possible. Measure the inner circle with some calipers, see how consistent the inner circle is and how that matches up with various BBs. If it were rocks, the size wouldn't be the same.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
Those are pretty consistent with windows I've seen that have been stuck by BB's. A small rock isn't impossible, but it likely would have been pretty small and round, a bb shaped rock ;), Bedroom 3 does appear to have an upward trajectory.

When more irregular shaped objects (like a rock) strike a window, the resulting damage is more irregular. If you have a bunch of small pea gravel on your property, a rock may be possible. Measure the inner circle with some calipers, see how consistent the inner circle is and how that matches up with various BBs. If it were rocks, the size wouldn't be the same.
I see what you mean. There aren't many rocks of any size around here. Most of it's just tiny stuff you'd find in garden sand and gets kicked up by the mowers and blowers.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
I would bet the projectile is still in the window with the screen, maybe even the other window too.

Have you checked between the panes of glass?
Eureka! There are only bits of glass between the panes, but on the window with the screen, I found this BB lying between the window and the screen. Thanks for the suggestion.
BB.jpg

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A Clue!

Hard to tell in the picture, is that a rusted copper coated steel bb or is it lead?

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
A Clue!

Hard to tell in the picture, is that a rusted copper coated steel bb or is it lead?
I think it's steel. I was able to pick it up with a magnet. I used the magnet to search below the other window, but it was literally like looking for a BB in pine straw stack.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a standard bb to me.

next trick is to take something similar in diameter to the bb and stick it through the hole in the screen and into the hole in the window. A thin straw, a pencil is too big, maybe a piece of raw spaghetti. This should now point to where the bb came from.

Honestly, I’d be a little mad.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a standard bb to me.

next trick is to take something similar in diameter to the bb and stick it through the hole in the screen and into the hole in the window. A thin straw, a pencil is too big, maybe a piece of raw spaghetti. This should now point to where the bb came from.

Honestly, I’d be a little mad.
Thanks, Heavy I will give that a try. Get a little CSI action going here! :)

I'm more than a little mad, but on the other hand, it did get me started on a new hobby!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember when the cops came to our house when I was a kid because my younger brother and his buddy shot up the neighbor's house across the street with BB gun.