Who dunnit? Advice needed for cam(s).

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. Newbie here. Wifi cam user in recovery.

Four years ago, we moved to a gated community (with an unarmed guard at the gate). Generally very quiet and safe. A couple of years ago, I was cleaning the outside of my windows and noticed a BB-size hole in the outer pane of a double pane window. It was on a front porch window and it's recessed from the front of the house. If someone shot a BB gun, they would have to have been right in front of the porch. I cleaned the windows again in spring of 2023, not finding any more holes. A few weeks ago, I was cleaning the inside of the windows and noticed another BB-size hole, this time in a front bedroom window. My wife thinks it's rocks being blown by the yard guys, but I doubt that.

When we first moved here, we found out to our dismay that our neighbors across the street liked to have parties in their driveway until 4:00 AM. Why no one complained or call the police is a mystery to me, although there may be a racial factor involved. After a few disturbing weekends, we finally called the police who came out and sent everyone home. A bit milder parties ensued, and they moved them inside, but you could still hear music pounding at 3:00 AM, so we called the HOA and the parties finally became quieter. We had never confronted the neighbors directly, so they didn't know for sure that we had reported them, but we were the new people on the block. Several months ago, they were in the driveway again at 3:00 AM, so I walked over in my PJs to the group and asked if they wouldn't mind moving things inside. Of course they had been drinking, but the neighbor was very gregarious and they moved inside (the looks I got from his friends were less than friendly.) When I saw my neighbor the next day, he apologized for making so much noise.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I'm thinking the holes in my windows might have come from someone at his house. He does have a teenage son, and the man still has a few friends over. I've started inspecting my front windows when I get our mail daily. I want to set up a cam or two so that if another window is broken, I can check recordings and see where it comes from. So I think the focus should be on his house across the street, but I'm also thinking I need something with a broader view. This seems like a different scenario than most residential security cam setups because I'm trying to identify a more distant threat rather than the area immediately around my house.

There's about 50 feet from the front of my house to his. I don't think I need super-sharp images to be able to identify a face - or maybe I do if I want to see someone with a BB gun? The area is fairly well lit as we all have driveway floodlights that come on automatically at night. There's usually a car parked in the driveway and a pickup in the street at night.

I was wondering if I'd be better served by a dual-lens camera like the EmpireTech T180 or a single lens camera with a 3.6 mm focal length (or the 2.8 mm?) Or some other cam or combination of cams?

Please see my attached pics and thanks for your help!Daytime Across the street with Wyze.PNGDriveway Eufy Cam.PNGFront of house.PNGFront porch Eufy.PNGNighttime across the street with Wyze.PNGAerial photo.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.....I wish I had some helpful comments. Too bad people aren't more thoughtful when residing in such close proximity to others.

I don't recall ever seeing a residential area with a paved or concrete street between them that has no curb and gutter...it looks like all houses share connected driveways. What's to discourage or prevent people from even accidentally driving over part of your front yard?

Are there HOA rules to consider or CCR's (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions) in place regarding the installation of cameras, devices, things, etc. on the exterior or in view of the public?

Last edited:

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
About the streets and no curbs - that's pretty common in our fair city in Louisiana. City code supposedly requires sidewalks, but almost no new development has them - the developers must be getting exemptions for those. Surprisingly, not many yards get driven over, though it's common to see mailboxes get knocked over. The HOA is getting ready to crack down on overnight street parking. If I recall correctly, there are not any restrictions on camera placement. Even though this is a gated community, the residents have lots of cameras. I want to try to place mine so they are discreetly monitoring the area, so I'm thinking turret cams would be less obvious than a bullet cam pointing at a particular house. Maybe it doesn't really matter that much...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue is none of these cameras will catch a bb or even a rock thrown from a mower.

Here is a thread of someone that posted a video in good light of their neighbor mowing and you don't see the rock, but you see the glass break - coincidence or did he do it?

And while all those floodlights are good, it creates a backlit situation and there would be plenty of places someone could shoot a bb gun and you never be able to tell because of the exposure issues. Anyone in that yard could shoot and you wouldn't see them point at it.

1709394524187.png

The problem with the 180 or any 2.8mm camera is they provide good overview or ability to identify within 10 feet or so at night. But I wouldn't count on those to help see someone pointing a bb gun unless they were in direct light.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there. Newbie here. Wifi cam user in recovery.

Four years ago, we moved to a gated community (with an unarmed guard at the gate). Generally very quiet and safe. A couple of years ago, I was cleaning the outside of my windows and noticed a BB-size hole in the outer pane of a double pane window. It was on a front porch window and it's recessed from the front of the house. If someone shot a BB gun, they would have to have been right in front of the porch. I cleaned the windows again in spring of 2023, not finding any more holes. A few weeks ago, I was cleaning the inside of the windows and noticed another BB-size hole, this time in a front bedroom window. My wife thinks it's rocks being blown by the yard guys, but I doubt that.

When we first moved here, we found out to our dismay that our neighbors across the street liked to have parties in their driveway until 4:00 AM. Why no one complained or call the police is a mystery to me, although there may be a racial factor involved. After a few disturbing weekends, we finally called the police who came out and sent everyone home. A bit milder parties ensued, and they moved them inside, but you could still hear music pounding at 3:00 AM, so we called the HOA and the parties finally became quieter. We had never confronted the neighbors directly, so they didn't know for sure that we had reported them, but we were the new people on the block. Several months ago, they were in the driveway again at 3:00 AM, so I walked over in my PJs to the group and asked if they wouldn't mind moving things inside. Of course they had been drinking, but the neighbor was very gregarious and they moved inside (the looks I got from his friends were less than friendly.) When I saw my neighbor the next day, he apologized for making so much noise.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I'm thinking the holes in my windows might have come from someone at his house. He does have a teenage son, and the man still has a few friends over. I've started inspecting my front windows when I get our mail daily. I want to set up a cam or two so that if another window is broken, I can check recordings and see where it comes from. So I think the focus should be on his house across the street, but I'm also thinking I need something with a broader view. This seems like a different scenario than most residential security cam setups because I'm trying to identify a more distant threat rather than the area immediately around my house.

There's about 50 feet from the front of my house to his. I don't think I need super-sharp images to be able to identify a face - or maybe I do if I want to see someone with a BB gun? The area is fairly well lit as we all have driveway floodlights that come on automatically at night. There's usually a car parked in the driveway and a pickup in the street at night.

I was wondering if I'd be better served by a dual-lens camera like the EmpireTech T180 or a single lens camera with a 3.6 mm focal length (or the 2.8 mm?) Or some other cam or combination of cams?

Please see my attached pics and thanks for your help!View attachment 188292View attachment 188293View attachment 188294View attachment 188295View attachment 188296View attachment 188297
About the streets and no curbs - that's pretty common in our fair city in Louisiana. City code supposedly requires sidewalks, but almost no new development has them - the developers must be getting exemptions for those. Surprisingly, not many yards get driven over, though it's common to see mailboxes get knocked over. The HOA is getting ready to crack down on overnight street parking. If I recall correctly, there are not any restrictions on camera placement. Even though this is a gated community, the residents have lots of cameras. I want to try to place mine so they are discreetly monitoring the area, so I'm thinking turret cams would be less obvious than a bullet cam pointing at a particular house. Maybe it doesn't really matter that much...
Welcome @LAdude54

Sounds like usual Louisiana politics .. someone must be getting a kick back ( regarding no sidewalks )

You will need a good quality camera(s) for better coverage ..

Perhaps some sort of alarm / sensor monitoring on the windows for "hits" ..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you take some nice close ups of the window damage with your phone or another camera?

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
The issue is none of these cameras will catch a bb or even a rock thrown from a mower.

Here is a thread of someone that posted a video in good light of their neighbor mowing and you don't see the rock, but you see the glass break - coincidence or did he do it?

And while all those floodlights are good, it creates a backlit situation and there would be plenty of places someone could shoot a bb gun and you never be able to tell because of the exposure issues. Anyone in that yard could shoot and you wouldn't see them point at it.

View attachment 188312

The problem with the 180 or any 2.8mm camera is they provide good overview or ability to identify within 10 feet or so at night. But I wouldn't count on those to help see someone pointing a bb gun unless they were in direct light.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection
Hmmm. I was hoping that I could at least spot someone pointing something our way if I end up with another hole in a window. Thanks for the link - tons of good info there!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm. I was hoping that I could at least spot someone pointing something our way if I end up with another hole in a window. Thanks for the link - tons of good info there!
It is possible, just will take a good camera .. and some tuning ..

see the DORI section of the cliff notes, you will want about 100 ppf at the range you want to attempt to ID / identify

Thus, try one of the nicer 4MP 1/1.8" Dahua OEM varifocal cameras out ..

start with one camera and a small poe switch and play around and see what you can get with it.

Expect to add a couple more cameras later ..

update: you may need to add IR or normal lights also to help out .. start playing around with one camera first .. and see what you can get with it by tuning

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately these are not like Hollywood - if a group of people were standing in that yard across from you - with all the backlight and then the darkness in front of the house, someone could easily point over and you never see it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may fear it risks escalation, but I'd suggest contacting the police. Let them document, investigate, talk to / scare the neighbors.
In the event things ever do escalate, you'd wish you had that documentation.

BBs have a fairly specific look when they hit windows compared to things like flying rocks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would purchase one camera such as this one, to use to test with.
With the good audio on these cams, I would think you could hear someone fire a shot, and maybe even hear the impact on the window.
Using a 8ft 2x4, 5 gal bucket, rocks for ballast, make yourself a moveable test rig for that camera.
Get a 100' patch cable
here, and a small POE switch here to use for testing.

I think if you adjust the camera so that the driveway lights are just out of view of the camera, I think would have a chance of seeing someone with a gun.
You may need to add additional IR illumination to assist.
But test it for 24hrs per proposed mounting location before permanent mounting.

Your Eufy and Wyze cams will fail you when you need it most to get a face ID at night.

Man, I would NOT want to live 50' from the front of my neighbors house. :idk:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you think about a thermal camera to narrow down the location? With the other recommended Andy cams with proper mp to sensor size to get good video quality to review.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
It seemed like an okay idea at the time we moved here. The safe housing options are slim in our city and other factors make it difficult to move out of the city (there are no suburbs here.) I keep joking that i want to live in the center of 640 acres. Hopefully we'll get out of here once my wife retires. Maybe build a house on my daughter's land in Wyoming (brrrrrr!)

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you think about a thermal camera to narrow down the location? With the other recommended Andy cams with proper mp to sensor size to get good video quality to review.
I don't know much about thermal cams. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have a look.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
I would purchase one camera such as this one, to use to test with.
With the good audio on these cams, I would think you could hear someone fire a shot, and maybe even hear the impact on the window.
Using a 8ft 2x4, 5 gal bucket, rocks for ballast, make yourself a moveable test rig for that camera.
Get a 100' patch cable
here, and a small POE switch here to use for testing.

I think if you adjust the camera so that the driveway lights are just out of view of the camera, I think would have a chance of seeing someone with a gun.
You may need to add additional IR illumination to assist.
But test it for 24hrs per proposed mounting location before permanent mounting.

Your Eufy and Wyze cams will fail you when you need it most to get a face ID at night.

That's one of the cams and PoE switch I've been considering. Thanks for the testing suggestion!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
It is possible, just will take a good camera .. and some tuning ..

see the DORI section of the cliff notes, you will want about 100 ppf at the range you want to attempt to ID / identify

Thus, try one of the nicer 4MP 1/1.8" Dahua OEM varifocal cameras out ..

start with one camera and a small poe switch and play around and see what you can get with it.

Expect to add a couple more cameras later ..

update: you may need to add IR or normal lights also to help out .. start playing around with one camera first .. and see what you can get with it by tuning
Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would suggest buying some window shock sensors to try and detect when/if something is thrown against the window.
This could maybe be wired to alarm input connections on cameras/NVR...? Personally I would keep the cameras recording 24/7 and use timestamps on shock sensors to find footage.

LAdude54

n3wb
Reaction score
I would suggest buying some window shock sensors to try and detect when/if something is thrown against the window.
This could maybe be wired to alarm input connections on cameras/NVR...? Personally I would keep the cameras recording 24/7 and use timestamps on shock sensors to find footage.
I didn't know there was such a thing - I'll look into them. I do plan on 24/7 recording. Thanks!