Who no love for AMD CPU's?

Reaction score
I see dual channel memory mentioned a lot here.
Do camera systems benefit from 4 channel memory on Xeon systems, or not really?
Prior to sub-streams, 4-channel might have been necessary for high-MP/s systems (somewhere between 1500-2200 MP/s).

Now, provided there isn't some really good reason you cannot use sub-streams, I suspect it's become a non-issue.

Reaction score
The Zen 2 platform is still quite good and more than capable.
Yeah I agree with that, they are capable. They just won't get recommended a lot because you can get a cheaper Intel system used that provides hardware decode acceleration within the graphics core that is already compatible with Blue Iris. I have built a nice AMD EPYC system, but best performance-per-$$ was not the reason I built it.

For most people on a budget the standard Intel 2nd hand market will get them into video recording much cheaper. And although 7nm might prove to be more energy efficient, that efficiency may take forever to offset the cost difference between building new & buying 2nd hand Intel. Those Renoir APU's should be 65W TDP, compared to Intel's 95W+ TDPs technically reducing costs by a trivial amount per year.

Rumor is that Renoir has entry level graphics capability (it can run Crysis!), but since the Blue Iris software doesn't support using it for video decode that's the rub. But if it's capable of running 4k natively maybe still a good compromise to avoid wasting power/money on a dedicated graphics card? Time will tell.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Drool...

Intel should see AMD as a threat

Last edited:
Reaction score
I KNOW!! 8-Channel Memory Support, Faster Memory Support, and Higher Core Frequencies than EPYC but still with substantial PCIE4.0 lanes. Not actually sure how the price will compare, but when I saw that announced I had some regrets. I think the first workstation I saw listing this processor was $4000 so might not have mattered.

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up a used Deskpro for a song. It has an i5-4570 that I'll use to get my feet wet with BI and my first few cams. It's the first Intel based system I have owned in over a decade. I'll continue to use it as long as it serves my needs and when it no longer does I'll ditch it for another AMD. Ryzen is as good as everyone is saying it is, I run it for my daily driver, Nas and other standalone server. I don't care if it costs me a bit extra in utilities to run. I'm deep enough into this hobby that the marginal difference in utility costs is irrelevant to me. If I can't afford a bit extra on my electrical bill then I probably shouldn't be spending hundreds on a couple of cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up a used Deskpro for a song. It has an i5-4570 that I'll use to get my feet wet with BI and my first few cams. It's the first Intel based system I have owned in over a decade. I'll continue to use it as long as it serves my needs and when it no longer does I'll ditch it for another AMD. Ryzen is as good as everyone is saying it is, I run it for my daily driver, Nas and other standalone server. I don't care if it costs me a bit extra in utilities to run. I'm deep enough into this hobby that the marginal difference in utility costs is irrelevant to me. If I can't afford a bit extra on my electrical bill then I probably shouldn't be spending hundreds on a couple of cameras.
Often times it’s a lot extra. We see this a lot. I don’t care about my electric bill yet you are using blue iris rather than a more expensive solution.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's crazy with the substreams. I went from 25-30% CPU with the I5-6500, to 10% with the Ryzen 3600XT, then 5% when I turn on NVDEC and now with substreams enabled its 0%, yes zero percent. With NVDEC disabled, it spikes up to 2%. My I7-8700k system was around 25-30% as well now it's around 8% but it went from running really hot to running cool now.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice pop in AMD stock today, Intel having problems with the 7nm process. Up 17% at the moment.

Just for kicks, I put some drives in the my I-6500 HP Prodesk 400 G3, it also has an NVS210 card which came from the factory for some reason. Then I tested it at idle power it runs 40-50 watts no BI. Then I tested my AMD 3600XT system that I custom built and it has the Geforce GTX1650 card in it and a bronze power supply. With BI running on it it's hovering at 63 watts. So it looks like the AMD system is more efficient as I have a more power hungry video card and running a load on it and it's within 13-22 watts. When the I5-6500 was running BI the system ran a lot hotter. There is an efficiency gain with newer processors, you get more done per watt, that can help offset energy concerns. In either case, power consumption difference is trivial.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Often times it’s a lot extra. We see this a lot. I don’t care about my electric bill yet you are using blue iris rather than a more expensive solution.

What other more expensive solutions are out there?
Serious question, I'm not busting balls, I actually want to know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What other more expensive solutions are out there?
Serious question, I'm not busting balls, I actually want to know.
There are a bunch too many to list IPVM has a list on their website. Just by way of example we have exacq, avigilon, milestone The top out at over $150 per camera license.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I would have favored the 7nm process too had Intel put it out. But now its a moot point. If Intel uses TSMC then both Intel and AMD won't have anymore leverage. AMD becomes Intel and Intel becomes AMD. Its a bleak future for the CPU market. Can only imagine how antitrust laws will decide the faith if this trend ever happens. ARM and NVIDIA should unite, lol

Nice pop in AMD stock today, Intel having problems with the 7nm process. Up 17% at the moment.

Just for kicks, I put some drives in the my I-6500 HP Prodesk 400 G3, it also has an NVS210 card which came from the factory for some reason. Then I tested it at idle power it runs 40-50 watts no BI. Then I tested my AMD 3600XT system that I custom built and it has the Geforce GTX1650 card in it and a bronze power supply. With BI running on it it's hovering at 63 watts. So it looks like the AMD system is more efficient as I have a more power hungry video card and running a load on it and it's within 13-22 watts. When the I5-6500 was running BI the system ran a lot hotter. There is an efficiency gain with newer processors, you get more done per watt, that can help offset energy concerns. In either case, power consumption difference is trivial.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would have favored the 7nm process too had Intel put it out. But now its a moot point. If Intel uses TSMC then both Intel and AMD won't have anymore leverage. AMD becomes Intel and Intel becomes AMD. Its a bleak future for the CPU market. Can only imagine how antitrust laws will decide the faith if this trend ever happens. ARM and NVIDIA should unite, lol
I don't think AMD will become Intel and vice versa. AMD will be David but has a minute chance to become Goliath. Intel has more fabs and infrastructure, they won't just sit by and let AMD eat their lunch for too long. This is all good for the consumer in the end to have this level of competition and innovation. If AMD reaches 50% market share things will really get interesting. But like AMD, Intel will poach their employees and there will be a power shift back in a few years if they play their cards right.