Who owns the Food Seeds of the World?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My retired wife wants us to move to a farm and grow our own food. I am close to retirement myself, I thought retirement meant Less work :)

All that changed in the 1990s when laws were introduced to protect new bioengineered crops. Today, four corporations — Bayer, Corteva, ChemChina and Limagrain — control more than 50% of the world's seeds. These staggering monopolies dominate the global food supply.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Also John Deere doesn't want Farmers to fix their own tractors ...
I still have a john Deere, but my new ones are Kubota. Have had almost no problems with them.
My son likes Mahindra, guess they are the largest one world wide.

You can buy heirloom seeds and save the seeds from your crop for next time. I have a cousin that plants acres of wheat and corn that's heirloom.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is a complex question that delves into the realms of agriculture, genetics, intellectual property rights, and global food security. Here's a breakdown:
Seed Ownership and Intellectual Property Rights:
  1. Corporate Ownership: Many of the world's food seeds are owned by multinational agricultural corporations such as Monsanto (now part of Bayer), Syngenta, DowDuPont (now Corteva), and BASF. These companies invest heavily in research and development to create genetically modified seeds that are resistant to pests, diseases, and environmental stressors.
  2. Patents and Licensing: These corporations often patent their genetically modified seeds, giving them exclusive rights to sell and distribute them. Farmers who buy these seeds are often required to sign licensing agreements that restrict their ability to save and replant seeds from their harvest, forcing them to purchase new seeds each planting season.
  3. Public Seed Banks: In contrast to corporate ownership, there are also public seed banks and research institutions that preserve and distribute seeds for the public good. Examples include the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Norway, the Millennium Seed Bank in the UK, and various national seed banks around the world.
Definitely @robertmay is a bot ..