Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have access to my network currently- do the 5231's also have this AI feature? Deepstack is working better for me than just BI motion triggers, but still (clearly) has its limitations.

I don't have any plans to replace my 5231's anytime soon so I'm hoping they do have this feature.

Reaction score
I don't have access to my network currently- do the 5231's also have this AI feature? Deepstack is working better for me than just BI motion triggers, but still (clearly) has its limitations.

I don't have any plans to replace my 5231's anytime soon so I'm hoping they do have this feature.
Look in the "EVENT" menu of your cams. :thumb:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
DeepStack is an AI program that has been integrated into Blue Iris. It can be utilized or not and is designed to detect various objects, like cars, people, dogs, cats, chairs, microwaves and a long list including giraffes and zebras. It can be utilized to reduce false triggers, IE if DeepStack does not detect a desired object, not alert is triggered. It can work well in good lighting and contrast situations, and some report good results in less than optimal conditions as well. It can result in relatively high CPU utilization spikes while it is analyzing for objects, but it is not all that bad or intrusive in that sense. As with everything YMMV.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I need to learn about it. I been seeing in the word Deepstack in the updates, but I din't know what it was.
Sorry about going off here, but a quick question about the Plate Recognizer, that doesn't work anymore(for free)?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

No they don't have AI.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No they don't have AI.
Oh no. I'm seeing this in the description on Dahua's site. Motion with only face detection, and no human/vehicle detection, then? Just to clarify.

Intelligence
IVS (optional)Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing
Advanced Intelligent FunctionsFace Detection

Reaction score
Oh no. I'm seeing this in the description on Dahua's site. Motion with only face detection, and no human/vehicle detection, then? Just to clarify.

Intelligence

The part that says "IVS (optional)" ---- THAT is what you want --- the "optional" is troubling. You should check with Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) here on the forum as he may have firmware that does provide that functionality.

(EDIT: the fact that it is "optional" probably means the camera hardware is fully capable of doing it. Then FIRMWARE is the key)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I need to learn about it. I been seeing in the word Deepstack in the updates, but I din't know what it was.
Sorry about going off here, but a quick question about the Plate Recognizer, that doesn't work anymore(for free)?
It is free for 2,500 lookups per month, so you must be over the limit or they block it after so long.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Intelligence
The 5231's never had any sort of AI intelligence. What you see in their specs, is what it's always been. No firmware will change that as the AI chips are not included in those cams.

Reaction score
The 5231's never had any sort of AI intelligence. What you see in their specs, is what it's always been. No firmware will change that as the AI chips are not included in those cams.
Ahhh.... My mistake on that.
I thought IVS automatically included the Human and Car detection--- it does not! Here is a screenshot from the IVS menu of a cheap $50 Amcrest flashed to Dahua--
thanks for setting me straight Looney!

1624555520663.png

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That sucks. Although the AI is fantastic, I'm not sure an upgrade from fully functioning 5231's to the 5442's would be justified. That's a tough decision. Is it bad that I almost hope by 5231's will start dropping like flies so that I'll have an excuse to upgrade?

Reaction score
That sucks. Although the AI is fantastic, I'm not sure an upgrade from fully functioning 5231's to the 5442's would be justified. That's a tough decision. Is it bad that I almost hope by 5231's will start dropping like flies so that I'll have an excuse to upgrade?
All of the front of house cameras are 5442's for the AI purposes alone. Replaced 3 x 5231's which did not have AI. You find out rather quick during a snowstorm or rainstorm that Deepstack will hit your CPU pretty badly (depending on the amount of cameras you are using Deepstack for). The 5231's will be repurposed for inside house duty using Deepstack where no rain/snow will intefere.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All of the front of house cameras are 5442's for the AI purposes alone. Replaced 3 x 5231's which did not have AI. You find out rather quick during a snowstorm or rainstorm that Deepstack will hit your CPU pretty badly (depending on the amount of cameras you are using Deepstack for). The 5231's will be repurposed for inside house duty using Deepstack where no rain/snow will intefere.
You make a good point- Deepstack is great for limiting the triggers from bugs and dramatic scene changes, but results in major spikes in CPU, especially when there's a ton of activity around the house triggering multiple cameras at the same time. I can only imagine when it's blowing snow.

I'm finding that, although Deepstack is great and has a ton of potential, the cons are outweighing the pros, especially as it relates to night triggers (I have almost zero ambient light about 40ft out). It's resulting in me having to review the Cancelled alerts on a regular basis, which kind of inherently defeats the purpose of AI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Similar to my post #3 in this thread, here is another example of the Dahua AI.

I will preface this with this camera is dialed in to this location for when the flood lights come on, so that is why the picture is so dark. One of the big issues people do not account for is what happens when a floodlight comes in - if the camera is on auto/default settings, the image will look ok when the floodlights are off, but then the camera gets temporarily blinded when the floodlights turn on. So the best option is to dial it in for when the floodlight is on knowing that they will kick on and you will get a great capture once they do.

So I have several IVS tripwires on this camera instead of an intrusion because this camera also acts as a spotter cam for my PTZ and I only wanted to spot it of people heading towards and not away. Obviously at the street, this camera is not being used for IDENTIFY purposes.

Here is a middle of the night capture (the red and blue lines are the IVS rules and when it triggered). My non AI cameras totally missed this event, including my overview when this person was in front of my house and was lit better from the lights off my house. The middle of the night, 50+ feet away from the overview cams, and dark clothing got right past the BI motion that I have fairly sensitive. So since BI motion didn't pick it up, obviously neither did DeepStack. In playback tuning, DeepStack dark model did pick it up, but we all know that tuning and live DS are two different things at the moment.

nightIVS.jpg

One of the many reasons why we have redundant cameras, record 24/7, and utilize different methods of motion detection.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I run clones of all my "critical" cameras, one with BI motion and one with IVS, just to make sure nothing is missed. One or the other, depending on my mood when I configure them, is hidden to keep screen clutter down, but I do display the triggers of the clones.

Reaction score
The replacement model with AI functions, is the 3241. It's basically a 5231 with AI. The rest of the functions like Vari-Focal,IVS, etc. are all there. The biggest difference is the 3241 uses the 1/2.8 sensor, not the better 1/1.8 like the 5442. I have been replacing 5231's with the 3241 cams, with good results. Night time sensitivity is about the same as the 5231, and maybe, a little better.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The replacement model with AI functions, is the 3241. It's basically a 5231 with AI. The rest of the functions like Vari-Focal,IVS, etc. are all there. The biggest difference is the 3241 uses the 1/2.8 sensor, not the better 1/1.8 like the 5442. I have been replacing 5231's with the 3241 cams, with good results. Night time sensitivity is about the same as the 5231, and maybe, a little better.
That sounds like a great option. Only concern is the different sensor, I'm assuming that's why it's not a Starlight cam?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Starlight is nothing more than a marketing term/ploy. I have three 3241T-ZAS and they are definitely on a par, or slightly better than, the 5231 I also have. I can keep one in color at night but the headlight bloom is just too much in color. It's bad enough in B&W. That particular camera gets lighting from behind from a streetlight, high pressure sodium I think, that's about 150-200 feet behind it.