Who Watches The Watchers?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting so he just decided to speed through your neighborhood. Did you follow him to see if he was responding to a call or do you just like to degrade local law enforcement? Grow up!

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting so he just decided to speed through your neighborhood. Did you follow him to see if he was responding to a call or do you just like to degrade local law enforcement? Grow up!
It's a cut through road, so we get a lot of speeders. I'll degrade the pizza boy, garbage man, and my own grandma if I have to.

Reaction score
How do you know he wasn't responding to a call? Some departments have policies to not use lights or sirens when responding to certain types of incidents so it doesn't tip off the individual who is committing the crime that the police are on the way.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How do you know he wasn't responding to a call? Some departments have policies to not use lights or sirens when responding to certain types of incidents so it doesn't tip off the individual who is committing the crime that the police are on the way.
Doing further research, we can access the calls in our county. Here they are responding to a call on my street at 9:43PM

Here they are arriving:

Here's every call in the county during the time frame on the camera time stamp:

The 2 other calls in the district are miles away and were handled by other officers.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doing further research, we can access the calls in our county. Here they are responding to a call on my street at 9:43PM

wow, that's nice to see that information available.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd like to know how you set up the speed camera. Curious about setting one up myself.
I have a radar system that feeds it's reading to a python script, and that scripts writes a text file that ffmpeg uses as an overlay. ffmpeg saves its files in 30 second increments, and another script saves or deletes them based on if it catches anyone speeding. openalpr takes care of the license plate recognition.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a radar system that feeds it's reading to a python script, and that scripts writes a text file that ffmpeg uses as an overlay. ffmpeg saves its files in 30 second increments, and another script saves or deletes them based on if it catches anyone speeding. openalpr takes care of the license plate recognition.
Have you ever had your "radar system" calibrated at an authorized service center?

Do you check the calibration daily with the use of a certified and calibrated tuning fork?

If not - your 'radar system. is basically an entertainment device... Also, an accurate speed reading usually requires the 'operator' to make a visual estimate and obtain a tracking history to verify that the radar is actually clocking the vehicle in question. The radar is then used to confirm the visual estimate

Last edited:

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you ever had your "radar system" calibrated at an authorized service center?

Do you check the calibration daily with the use of a certified and calibrated tuning fork?

If not - your 'radar system. is basically an entertainment device... Also, an accurate speed reading usually requires the 'operator' to make a visual estimate and obtain a tracking history to verify that the radar is actually clocking the vehicle in question. The radar is then used to confirm the visual estimate
This would apply only if he were law enforcement. Since he's not, it doesn't matter if the equipment is calibrated or not, because it's not being used for legal purposes. Anecdotal evidence / circumstantial evidence is still evidence, however.

And even if it were calibrated to the same standards as law enforcement, it wouldn't do him much good. This is why it's difficult for private citizens to hold police accountable for anything, really.

But non-calibrated equipment is still plenty good enough to open up a conversation on the subject.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No - it's just being used to basically 'bad mouth' his local law enforcement.

What circumstantial evidence is there? We have no idea what direction the radar is pointed or if it is even working properly. Modern radar systems also have an audible tone so you can tell if the vehicle is approaching or receding... (again to verify that the radar is clocking the correct vehicle) But what the heck - why should that matter, right? Far better to just post a video from home grown system, list the license plate and unit # and use the heading.

Caught this officer last night.

Lastly - I was pretty sure that using a radar to clock vehicles on a public roadway required the proper license from the FCC?
https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Public_Notices/1996/da962040.pdf

Last edited:

Profits

n3wb
Reaction score
No - it's just being used to basically 'bad mouth' his local law enforcement.

What circumstantial evidence is there? We have no idea what direction the radar is pointed or if it is even working properly. Modern radar systems also have an audible tone so you can tell if the vehicle is approaching or receding... (again to verify that the radar is clocking the correct vehicle) But what the heck - why should that matter, right? Far better to just post a video from home grown system, list the license plate and unit # and use the heading.

Caught this officer last night.

Lastly - I was pretty sure that using a radar to clock vehicles on a public roadway required the proper license from the FCC?
https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Public_Notices/1996/da962040.pdf
Nobody is "bad mouthing" anybody. Police exist to protect and serve the people, not to protect and serve themselves. Holding people with a license to kill accountable is a worthwhile effort. If they aren't doing anything wrong, they (and you) have nothing to worry about... or so their saying goes.

I find this dialogue somewhat perplexing, considering this is, in essence, a photography forum. People who appear in public, including the police, do not have an expectation of privacy.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You're wasting your time @Profits. There are certain people who are so protective about the boys in blue, that anything shy of gushing praise is seen as cop-bashing. I don't know where that blind loyalty comes from, as it's rarely seen in any other profession (other than sports perhaps). The result is predictable. When you try to shine a light on questionable behavior, the fangs come out.

I regularly reported speeding city/county vehicles - especially those that were out of their jurisdiction. Without fail, the cop defenders would come out in droves. Excuses left and right. How dare I challenge their driving skills? Do I have a badge? Is my equipment calibrated? Where's my certificate? Blah blah blah. The idea that someone in uniform is abusing their authority is absolutely impossible to accept. And discussing that possibility is pure blasphemy. ETA: in every single case that I reported, I received followup documentation indicating the officer in question had violated policy.

The reality is, with every 'caught on camera' moment, it's just another indication that the profession has some real issues with self-policing. When a cop can shoot a handcuffed, unarmed suspect and be cleared, but an officer who arrests another officer for doing 120MPH gets run out of town (and ultimately has to be taken off the streets for her own safety due to fellow officers not responding to her calls for help), we have a problem. Of course, we're not supposed to talk about that. FHP trooper Jane Watts, if anyone cares to read about how upstanding the profession can be.

It wasn't that long ago that civilians were encouraged to question authority. After several generations of pro-government indoctrination, we've done a 180°, as now we are to question anyone who questions authority...

Last edited:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks you @eeeeesh

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The police provide a vital function to the public. The public also has a right to expect them to follow procedure and not act recklessly.

Cops among Florida's worst speeders, Sun Sentinel investigation finds
"Excessive speed," Margate Police Chief Jerry Blough warned his officers, is a "blatant violation of public trust."
The evidence came from police SunPass toll records. The Sun Sentinel obtained a year's worth, hit the highways with a GPS device and figured out how fast the cops were driving based on the distance and time it took to go from one toll plaza to the next.
Speeding cops can kill. Since 2004, Florida officers exceeding the speed limit have caused at least 320 crashes and 19 deaths. [...]
It's not just civilians who are victims of speeding cops. In 2009, Miami-Dade police buried one of their own — Giovanni Gonzalez, a 23-year-old rookie who rear-ended a dump truck while driving nearly 100 mph for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would love more details on the radar you are using for this!

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Controversy of this topic aside, @Go3Team would you be willing to share code? I've been meaning to take a look at the ffmpeg library for months now and seeing some working code could really expedite my time. Happy to be a contributor for any FOSS projects you have.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're wasting your time @Profits. There are certain people who are so protective about the boys in blue, that anything shy of gushing praise is seen as cop-bashing. I don't know where that blind loyalty comes from, as it's rarely seen in any other profession (other than sports perhaps). The result is predictable. When you try to shine a light on questionable behavior, the fangs come out.

I regularly reported speeding city/county vehicles - especially those that were out of their jurisdiction. Without fail, the cop defenders would come out in droves. Excuses left and right. How dare I challenge their driving skills? Do I have a badge? Is my equipment calibrated? Where's my certificate? Blah blah blah. The idea that someone in uniform is abusing their authority is absolutely impossible to accept. And discussing that possibility is pure blasphemy. ETA: in every single case that I reported, I received followup documentation indicating the officer in question had violated policy.

The reality is, with every 'caught on camera' moment, it's just another indication that the profession has some real issues with self-policing. When a cop can shoot a handcuffed, unarmed suspect and be cleared, but an officer who arrests another officer for doing 120MPH gets run out of town (and ultimately has to be taken off the streets for her own safety due to fellow officers not responding to her calls for help), we have a problem. Of course, we're not supposed to talk about that. FHP trooper Jane Watts, if anyone cares to read about how upstanding the profession can be.

It wasn't that long ago that civilians were encouraged to question authority. After several generations of pro-government indoctrination, we've done a 180°, as now we are to question anyone who questions authority...
And then there is the side you play which doesn't care and will hang the officers without having the same amount of info and truth as if it were dealing with your type. and its funny the speed starts at 32 and then up to 40 max i bet the OP is just as guilty going that fast thru there himself. You didn't catch any officer doing anything except maybe with out solid evidence he was going 30 in what a 25 or 30, please do them a favor in VA don't use the police services then. Maybe he should post all the vehicles from all day im betting there isnt one car that isnt going to be speeding.