[whoami ™] has joined the server!

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This @IPCamTalk looks like a decent place to hang out...

I might have got a little ahead of myself, I've already built, installed, and programmed my system.... But wanted to drop a post and show some appreciation for all the great info. For what its worth I did purchase BI from here, mostly because the price was right, but also inadvertently to pay my dues and help keep this thing online.

[system]
  • Cable Matters Solid CAT6
  • Cable Matters CAT6 RJ45 Keystone Jacks and Plugs
  • Tripp Lite 6U Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Server Cabinet
  • TRIPP LITE Cat6 PoE+ Compliant Patch Panel 24-Port 110/Krone 568A/B RJ45 Ethernet 1URM Rackmount TAA (N252-P24)
  • Netgear JGS524PE-100NAS 24-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch, 100w PoE, L2
  • Tripp Lite PDU1230 Single-Phase 200/208/240V Basic PDU
  • Dell OptiPlex 7040 - Core i5-6500 3.20GHz - 12GB Samsung DDR4 (4GB x3)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
  • WD Purple 8TB
  • x5 Dahua IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS 4MP Varifocal Poe
  • x1 Dahua 4MP PoE IPC-HDW4433C-A 3.6mm
  • Blue Iris v.5

I'm still in the market for a indoor POE cam or two and a POE ONVIF Door Bell cam if I can find one worth buying... If i missed something let me know. but not looking to pay $400+.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
# whoami
root!

On-topic: I'm very happy with my VTO2000A doorbell! Was a real struggle to get it in the air, but wouldn't change it unless something even nice and useful pops up: [Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit

Your gear sounds like read lots of stuff through, just one thing seems to be missing (but you might already have it covered): VPN access? :)

Good luck and welcome!
CC

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your gear sounds like read lots of stuff through, just one thing seems to be missing (but you might already have it covered): VPN access? :)

CC
VPN is actually one of my areas of expertise that I work with daily.
Im running SoftEther VPN Server using a TAP interface tunneling dual stack on a Raspberry Pi running CentOS 7 minimal. I use the SoftEther Client on PC and OpenVPN on mobile... SoftEther's a little sketchy so I stripped down a few if its features and blocked it from calling home with iptables. I've been working with the software for quite a few years now. I just like it because when I need it to it's able to tunnel trough any firewall I've come across.

& Cuz I have OCD I also set up Stunnel to use over LAN.

I hate to admit it, but I still need to set up my VLAN. So far all I've done is block the cams IP range from accessing WAN with firewall rules.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
VPN is actually one of my areas of expertise that I work with daily.
Im running SoftEther VPN Server using a TAP interface tunneling dual stack on a Raspberry Pi running CentOS 7 minimal. I use the SoftEther Client on PC and OpenVPN on mobile... SoftEther's a little sketchy so I stripped down a few if its features and blocked it from calling home with iptables. I've been working with the software for quite a few years now. I just like it because when I need it to it's able to tunnel trough any firewall I've come across.

& Cuz I have OCD I also set up Stunnel to use over LAN.

I hate to admit it, but I still need to set up my VLAN. So far all I've done is block the cams IP range from accessing WAN with firewall rules.
I'll give you a thumbs up for (at least) considering vlans :p I don't trust any non-rootable device (IoT, fridge, smartTV and IPC cams fall under that category).

Good luck!
CC

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

VERY nice system list in your OP.....did I miss your UPS ?
I hear Tripp Lite has some nice rack mount versions.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gives me something to think about. I did kind of screw that up. I'd need to change my outlet and use a 20a 120v breaker. I guess I ran 10 gauge to the server rack, cuz I'm use to setting up servers for GPU mining and running them on 240v and I've never used a UPS before. I don't see any benefit to have this rack supplied with 240v over 120v. I'm planing on adding another server running ESXi to the rack but it's not going to use enough power to need 240v.